News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TheBalladeer

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
Member Name: TheBalladeer
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Finch or Frump?  Aug 24 2013, 09:48:34 PM
Thanks for the input! Well see how this goes!
Finch or Frump?  Aug 24 2013, 09:00:57 PM
Hi All!

I was just cast in a production of How To Succeed, in the role of Frump. A colleague of mine was more excited about it than I was, stating that this role "steals the show". Is this true? I think the role of Finch is great! Would have loved the opportunity to play him.

DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Feb 23 2013, 11:30:32 PM
Finally saw the show again tonight with the new cast! There were some wonky things coming from the orchestra tonight during a couple of numbers, but a great show tonight nonetheless!

Datchery: Helena Landless
Murderer: Bazzard
Lovers: Puffer and Neville

Chita Rivera was still out, and Alison Cimmet was Puffer, so I finally got to see her! She was great, and has a lovely voice! She sang a lovely "Garden Path To Hell", and she sounded great on "Don't Quit..." She also wa

DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Feb 2 2013, 11:16:40 PM
That was TOTALLY sarcasm.

There is this idiotic arguement going on in another thread, pretty much debating this. As an intelligent, educated person of color, who has both studied Dickens, and have known this show for years, I have never been insulted by ANYTHING in Drood, and I am very conscious and sensitive on race issues.

But I am not touching that thread with a ten foot pole.

DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Feb 2 2013, 11:07:39 PM
I think it is because early in Act One - Neville "conveniently" mentions that Helena tried to escape their abusive father by disguising herself as a boy. It also could be because Jessie Mueller is awesome too, but I dunno...being that she is giving a very racist portrayal of a Ceylonese young woman. Who knows.
DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Jan 31 2013, 12:40:38 AM
This is definitely the type of show where you could have fun noticing differences like that, due to repeated viewings....LOL!
Jason Danieley, Jessie Mueller & More Join NY Phil's CAROUSEL Concert  Jan 31 2013, 12:37:17 AM
I am salivating at the thought of Jessie Mueller and Jason Danieley singing "When the Children Are Asleep". Both of their voices are just perfection. Heaven!!!!
DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Jan 31 2013, 12:29:08 AM
Awww! I wish I could have been there. I LOVE Robert Creighton. He is definitely an unsung hero in this production. I think his comedic timing is excellent, and he is SO lovable on stage as Durdles. And...he has a beautiful voice! He's tops! Seriously.

I love the idea of a bunch of us going one night. I would love to see if we can get Rosa as Datchery. I would LOVE to see that. And preferably before Betsy Wolfe leaves...LOL. But that might not happen. I wish I was there that nig

DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Jan 27 2013, 09:38:22 PM
Eh. I disagree with the idea that no one cares what the outcome is.

I think people are resigned to whatever is chosen if they think that the opposite choice is the majority. What WOULD someone do if they didn't get what they voted for? Chastise Jim Norton at the stage door, and boycott the show? No. You just shut up and accept it.

Yes - they can do whatever they want, but they shouldn't bill the show as: "The musical where YOU choose the ending!" Especially if you don't...

DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Jan 27 2013, 08:52:39 PM
I definitely have experienced what BritishAmI, and KeepCool are talking about at one of the performances I attended. The audience CLEARLY wanted Durdles for the male lover opposite Rosa, and Neville (Andy Karl) pretty much forced his way into being the lover, by making the Chairman ask the audience to vote again. They had a re-vote, and STILL the audience wanted Durdles. The Chairman decided to choose Neville, and all hell broke loose in the mezzanine. People were booing and shouting "Durdles
THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording  Jan 21 2013, 02:31:19 PM
Well CATS - I do agree in that I wish more dialogue was included. But the recording is still excellent.

I also wished they included all of the "Limericks", as I think it would have easily fit. I wonder why they decided not to do that? I can understand not needing all of the Lovers' Reprises, but the Limericks are essential to the plot, regardless of who you choose as Datchery.

I do feel that the OBC brilliantly captured the fun and joy of the show, better than the revival rec

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording  Jan 21 2013, 12:36:28 AM
I forgot to mention in my haste how AMAZING Stephanie J. Block sounds in everything she sings....Will Chase also sings the $h*t out of his songs too! What a cast...really one of the BEST in recent years!

Cheers,
TheBalladeer

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording  Jan 20 2013, 09:25:49 PM
@jacobsnchez:

The "additions" are not bad, just different. I am pretty sure they were always in the orchestration, but one would not hear all the instruments as a whole in the theatre, I suspect because they are split between house left and house right. So there is the possibility of missing certain instruments depending on where you have sat in the theatre.

Anyway, highlights include:

- There You Are - sounds great
- Moonfall - beautifully sung, interesting little

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording  Jan 20 2013, 06:30:10 PM
Picked this up this afternoon - it is glorious!!!!

Listening to it now, but I definitely see what Kelly2 was talking about in regards to hearing things in the orchestration that you might not have heard in the theatre. Particular examples are "A British Subject" and "A Man Could Go Quite Mad".

More later...I am still listening! LOL!

Cheers,
The Balladeer

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording  Jan 20 2013, 11:39:04 AM
Do you think they'd let you walk to the merch stand while the show is going on? Or do I have to wait till after, or at the intermission today?

Cheers,
The Balladeer

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording  Jan 17 2013, 03:56:57 PM
Not to sound ungrateful, but they really should have recorded the Limericks...just to hear the choices that might not always be selected. Maybe they will release them as bonus tracks somehow?

I still treasure my OBC recording with all the endings!

Cheers,
The Balladeer

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording  Jan 16 2013, 04:23:23 PM
I will be picking up at least 2 copies of this recording! Can't wait! I am salivating at the thought!!!!!
TICKET FOR SALE: Edwin Drood 1/11/13 (Front Row Orchestra)  Jan 6 2013, 10:18:52 AM
I tried to PM you.
DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Dec 27 2012, 01:30:22 AM
Well, I have seen the show 7 times as well...(Crazy, I know....) and Helena has been Datchery 4 out of the 7 times I saw it.

Bazzard should easily be Datchery almost every time, as Kelly2 mentioned, the author is almost telling us to vote for him. However, early in Act One, there is a hint/mention of Helena disguised as a boy highlighted by a musical sting/chime that Jessie Mueller brilliantly uses to the maximum effect. Maybe the audiences are really paying attention to detail. That, a

DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart  Dec 16 2012, 06:42:13 PM
I am so jealous that you got to see Rosa as Datchery! I had been hoping to see that forever! How was it? Please elaborate! Does Betsy Wolfe belt most of that, too? I love either Helena or Rosa are Datchery!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You