News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for When I get low...

When I get low... Profile Photo
Member Name: When I get low...
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Floyd Collins - Where should I start?
 Jan 24 2021, 11:39:35 AM

The New American Musical: An Anthology from the End of the Century contains the script and is worth the read.

Audra returning to Broadway...?
 Oct 17 2018, 10:46:18 PM

Sondheimite: who the flipping flip is the guy in the picture with her??

The guy in the picture is the playwright of Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune, Terrence McNally. (I think that’s an old photo.)

NYC Performing Arts Library Archive Question
 Oct 28 2013, 10:34:36 PM
In fairness to the librarian who gave the "tongue lashing," the archive has a strict policy on access and they are open about it on their website: The Archive is available to theatre professionals, students, or researchers with work or study-related reasons for viewing. (http://www.nypl.org/locations/lpa/theatre-film-and-tape-archive)

They even provide further specific information the original poster might find helpful, on "Using the Archive": http://www.nypl.org/locations/tid/55/node/92121

The archive probably expects their users to learn how to use the items in the collection before they show up and request an item. Like most libraries and archives, the TOFT operates with a policy for accessing their materials. This preserves the collection from wear, tear, and abuse and preserves the resources of the repository (i.e. staff time, technology use). This helps to ensure that the materials are used properly and for the purpose of the collection. Additionally, the materials at the TOFT have special labor and copyright considerations that must be observed and have implications on access. One should know about these library policies before assuming you have a right to access materials and consequently being disappointed when you arrive at the library. It's a respect for the collection and institution.

The purpose of the TOFT collection isn't to give anyone the opportunity to see a show "you never got to see." If you want to do that, other threads discuss ways to gain access by spinning your need in a way that fits their policy, just search:
https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1063237
https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1052546
https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=986152&page=1

Simple versions of big musicals?
 Jan 18 2013, 02:07:11 PM
I saw a production of "The King and I" in Chicago that seemed to have all the King's children in the cast but was small scaled in production values and featured a two piano reduction of the score, which is now licensed by R&H Theatricals.
Help me, please! Research help.
 Jan 17 2013, 05:06:12 PM
Try a reference librarian at a public library or academic library. They're nice, eager to assist, and very helpful. Most libraries have instant chat or IM capabilities on their websites that allow you to work with a reference librarian remotely without having to step foot in a library...although you should try that too.

Don't trust the internet and visit a library!

Pippin to Open at the Music Box in March
 Jan 4 2013, 10:41:46 PM
dramamama611: "Since you won't be seeing the production (I'm guessing because it doesn't interest you) then why would you care about the suprise?"

I won't be seeing it because I have no plans on visiting the east and because I'm neither interested in this show nor a fan of Schwartz. I am a fan of Andrea Martin and am interested in knowing how she impresses in the part.

I'd still like to know the surprise, so if you don't care to post it and would prefer to PM me, that'd be nic

Pippin to Open at the Music Box in March
 Jan 4 2013, 10:17:41 PM
SPOILER REQUEST

FindingNamo: "The rave in the Boston Globe is *loaded* with spoilers..."

Except it doesn't give away Andrea Martin's surprise in "No Time at All". I won't see this production, so what is the surprise?

The casual theater star picture post megathread
 Sep 15 2012, 12:15:09 AM

Marlene Dietrich, John Huston, Tallulah Bankhead

The Dead
 Sep 12 2012, 02:50:02 PM
Wow, one of the "greatest things"!

Regarding the Broadway production, the cast was full of "names"; how were the performances? With that kind of cast, is it more of an ensemble show? Also, does anyone know if there were any changes between the Off-Broadway and Broadway productions or was it moved to Broadway as-is?

I'm most curious about the score. Not the sound of it, but what is the whole of the score like in terms of how it is integrated into the book? I remember seeing

The Dead
 Sep 12 2012, 11:54:38 AM
The Court Theatre in Chicago will be mounting a production in the winter.

Anyone here see the Broadway production? I'd love to hear more about what it was like.

What are the general opinions about the material itself?

Bug
 Aug 28 2012, 09:24:21 PM
I read the play prior to seeing a production in 2011 at Redtwist Theatre in Chicago. I really liked the script (although I was a Letts fan prior to reading it) and the leads were good while the supporting actors were great. Their raw and visceral moments were benefited by a very small theater that made it sort of an atmospheric production. Redtwist Theatre has a small storefront theater and the audience entered the performance space as though you were entering the motel and one would find you
collectible
 Aug 10 2012, 08:18:05 PM
Jordan Catalano: The 7 hour Sondheim interview with the Library of Congress guy DVD's...

What is this? Is the "Library of Congress guy" Mark Eden Horowitz?

Thanks.

Candide - Lillian Hellman's original book
 Nov 6 2011, 10:23:29 AM
Which brings me to another "Candide" book question which is not an attempt to high jack the thread. Was Wheeler's book ever published and is it accessible? It won the '74 Tony for Best Book but I can't get my hands on a copy. 
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You