News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Kev

Kev Profile Photo
Member Name: Kev
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

HAMILTON -> Las Vegas?  Mar 1 2021, 11:35:33 AM

Is it possible that it won’t be cut? Has a full length show ever played the strip?

CHICAGO ran just shy of a year at the Mandalay Bay; full length form, no cuts.

AVENUE Q. also began without cuts, before it was shortened to 90 minutes.

Amanda Jane Cooper in WICKED  Dec 18 2018, 02:29:45 PM

Fellow Ozians...part-rhetorical, part-genuinely curious: I never saw AJC as "Glinda" but...why such a healthy tenure in Wicked given such an uneven performance (at least according to the majority of posts above)?  

She had the support of Stephen Schwartz for the role, toured with the show, made the move to the Broadway in a lengthy contract, and helmed Wicked's fifteenth anniversary.  Was it potential never realized?  Again, just fascinated & c

WICKED 15TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT  Oct 18 2018, 09:57:12 AM

killerqueen said: "https://www.instagram.com/p/BpDOuNfH98s/?taken-by=amandajanecoop
Is anyone able to identify the second Glinda in the back row? I'm thinking maybe it's Katie Adams?
"

Correct  Former standby Katie Adams.

Toni Braxton  Feb 3 2018, 11:13:50 AM

I also saw both.  

Braxton in BEAUTY did not work for me.  She looked uncomfortable and failed to bring anything charismatic to the table, even with her added "A Change in Me."  Braxton's Belle also gave "the hand" to the Beast at one point.  Just unnecessary casting.  James Barbour's excellent Beast was the highlight of that visit.        

For me, Braxton in AIDA was a complete 180.  

Characters in Lobby during Intermission?  Sep 20 2016, 02:55:45 PM

I'm not certain if this happened in every city but, the cast of the GODSPELL 2001 National Tour mingled/ posed for photos in the lobby during Intermission.  

Jennifer Hudson  Mar 11 2016, 09:19:30 PM

cuz-i-can, 

"They had to dumb down some of the cheography and scenes in the show so she could keep up. I've never seen Fantasia in this production but people I know who have said the show changes when she's in it to play to her strengths, which isn't a bad thing especially if you need her to sell tickets.But Fantasia was not turning in a Lachanze or Erivo kind of Celie performance."

What choreography?  Nothing was dumbed down f

BJ Crosby, Tony-nominated actress, dies at 63  Apr 7 2015, 12:00:52 PM

Did anyone ever see her as Effie in Dreamgirls?

I did, as well; it was when Crosby first joined the tour as "Effie," so I'd venture to guess she was still navigating her way around the role.  She came across as stiff & too old but, she sang the score effortlessly.  What a powerhouse vocalist.       

As mentioned, the tour was supposedly headed to Broadway…but I wasn't surprised when those plans were scrappe

Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE  Mar 14 2015, 05:36:18 PM
A bit more information (and video footage) from the producer (assuming this Philadelphia stop is a re-mount of the recent mini-tour.) Looking forward to checking out Holliday in the role :)

http://www.johnruffin.com/#!CASTING-FOR-THE-FALL-TOUR-OF-THE-COLOR-PURPLE/c112t/55AC7F4F-FBA7-449B-8786-03AF6053DF54

and via his YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95Fn0K0rXk

Was it a good decision to cast Toni Braxton in Beauty and The Beast?  Jan 4 2014, 02:03:39 PM
She tried to play it sassy?

Braxton's Belle gave the Beast "the hand" at one point. Her casting as Belle didn't work for me.

That said, I adored her Aida.

Ace Young & Diana DeGarmo leading JOSEPH National Tour  Aug 19 2013, 05:09:06 PM
^I thought I remembered the Benson/Osmond tour utilizing the previous tour's scenery and costumes based on the Palladium production, but I guess you're right. They don't look the same.

It was the same "crap set" from Troika
http://www.houstontheatre.com/joseph.html
http://www.ovrtur.com/production/2898775/credits

Ace Young & Diana DeGarmo leading JOSEPH National Tour  Aug 19 2013, 04:31:07 PM
goodoneinlou2, Troika has produced tours of both versions of Joseph. They toured the Palladium version in the 90s with Jodi Benson and Osmond 2nd Generation.

Just a slight correction: the Palladium version has not toured the US since the Sam Harris/Brian Lane Green post-Broadway tour.

Troika began their JOSEPH tours with the Non-Equity version (starring Joe Machota.) The Benson/Osmond cast was a re-mount of that version with an Equity cast (in conjunction with Pittsbu

Who played opposite Bebe when she returned as Roxie?  Jul 14 2013, 02:23:17 PM
Neuwirth & Braxton were a fine pairing but, it was all about Bebe (whose Roxie was calculating, fun, striking, and quite vulnerable. Not a perfect fit between actress and role but, excellent nonetheless.)

I saw Braxton multiple times; this particular performance was one of her better ones, as she was rather mechanical and safe throughout her many stints. Of the longer-running Velmas, I would've preferred Terra MacLeod opposite Bebe but, I'm told it was the latter's choice as to wh

Patina MIller Out of Pippin Tonight Stephanie Pope in  May 5 2013, 01:15:49 AM
It was a treat to see Stephanie Pope slither on tonight for "Glory." To have Ms. Pope execute "Manson Trio" as her first number...well, it was chilling. A superb Fosse stylist, and a Leading Player who will only get better with more performances under her belt.

Brooke Shield To Direct Hollywood Bowl  Apr 23 2013, 08:00:47 PM
How was she when she played the role on Broadway?

Shields was a solid Roxie. It took me awhile to warm up to her but, her monologue was right on target. (Loved her work as Ruth in Wonderful Town.)

Interestingly, and like Chita Rivera's revival stints, Shields bowed solo in the curtain call.

And count me in with the dreamcasting of Kate Hudson, in either role, for this event.

Chaka Khan in The Color Purple?  Feb 10 2013, 12:21:15 PM
I caught Khan as Sofia and she was quite good. Solid handle on the role, comfortable, and very funny. Her alternate, Lakisha Jones, however, was dreadful.
John Pinette  Jan 28 2013, 09:22:05 PM
Count me in as a fan of Pinette's Edna. Warm, witty, and touching. He also looked adorable in the garb. And Pinette's "Timeless to Me" (with his excellent chemistry opposite Stephen DeRosa) was still the funniest I've seen out of all the Broadway Ednas.
Priscilla Queen of The Desert Tour- How is it?  Jan 18 2013, 08:58:34 PM
I caught the tour opening in Minneapolis. Slightly scaled back from Broadway but, still solid, glitzy, harmless fun.

Scott Willis and Wade McCollum seemed to be navigating their way among their characters and respective laughs. Bryan West, understandably so, was comfortable and excellent. The Divas were in terrific voice, as well.

Showgirls the Musical?  Dec 28 2012, 07:45:23 PM
I'd love for Gershon to just reprise her role as the darlin' Ms. Connors.

Jessica Lee Goldyn as Nomi.

Examples of miscasting that damaged a show  Oct 23 2012, 04:10:38 PM
Also, the Grease revival in the 90's was ripe with mis-cast "names" as characters. Debbie Boone, Linda Blair, Jasmine Guy as Rizzo? Jon Secada, Rex Smith, Adrian Zmed as Danny? Heck, Rosie was hired to be a "name" above title... but her stint as Rizzo was the Broadway equivelant to nails on a chalkboard.

Eh, I wouldn't say that stunt casting damaged the show. In fact, I found a few of those names (despite being too old, obviously) to be excellent in their roles.

Wh

Annie Preview Thread  Oct 19 2012, 10:41:47 AM
Did anyone see show tonight or last night (Wednesday Thursday)? Any thoughts on Annie or Hannigan?

On Thursday, Taylor Richardson was Annie and Jaidyn Young covered Duffy. Richardson was excellent in the title role.

Any idea why Richardson, as opposed to Annie standby Young, is going on instead of the latter?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You