News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for nyla123

Member Name: nyla123
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

HERE LIES LOVE - Broadway Previews
 Jun 22 2023, 11:27:55 PM

Also, the Filipino representation aspect of this musical shouldn’t be seen as anything more than Filipinos being empowered to tell this story themselves. The Philippines is one of the most populous countries in the world and the Filipino diaspora is equally huge. Not all Filipinos had the same experience under the Marcos regime as others if they or their family were even in the Philippines during the regime. For example, Lea Salonga was born during the Marcos regime and was only 12 when

HERE LIES LOVE - Broadway Previews
 Jun 22 2023, 11:17:39 PM

Robbie2 said: "What about her 3000 pairs of shoes? Does the show have a song-production about them?

Also, the seating capacity was reduced from 1761 to 1007 that's a lot less seats?
"

The creative team intentionally excludes reference to the shoes. That said, they get across the idea about Imelda the shoes have become a metonym for in a less reductive way.

For those questioning the “politics” of the show, I would say it definitely has

HERE LIES LOVE to transfer to Broadway in spring 2023?
 Apr 11 2023, 09:47:33 PM

I will say it’s a huge misnomer to call the floor seats SRO. They are by far the best way to fully experience the show are you are able to stand and move around for 90 minutes. If I recall, floor tickets were around $100 in 2013 for the open ended production at the Public and that stayed open for months, so I don’t think the prices they are asking are that crazy. 

Also, the ratio of sitting to standing tickets is much higher for this production than the Public one.

HERE LIES LOVE to transfer to Broadway in spring 2023?
 Apr 11 2023, 08:49:49 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Was there a bar in the auditorium at the Public? I feel like this is a show where Shubert could clean up on bar business, especially in the SRO area. Thinking back to when I saw Titannique at the UCB space and the show started late because of the bar line and then people were getting up for refills during the performance."

There wasn’t a bar at the Public besides the one in the lobby (a few floors down). I imagine they are going t

OHIO STATE MURDERS Previews
 Nov 11 2022, 01:34:18 PM

Well this play is part of a 4 play suite of plays all focusing on Audra McDonald's character. Haven't read all of them, but I imagine they could have thrown one of them in as a double bill.

INTO THE WOODS Reviews
 Jul 11 2022, 01:47:48 PM
Jordan Catalano said: "ddenoff2 said: "I predict a LONG extension, and a move of The Piano Lesson to another house...as for which house...???"

This right here is the problem that they’re having right now. It’s not that simple.
"

Yeah I was almost wondering if maybe they were going to move Funny Girl to a new house when Lea Michele joined and then move The Piano Lesson there (even with the casting, St. James seems like a really big hous

INTO THE WOODS Reviews
 Jul 10 2022, 09:26:20 PM
I think they might try to bring the gang back together later, but even if the cast could extend (or enough of them) it would have to move because The Piano Lesson is going in to the St. James three weeks after ITW's current closing date.
INTO THE WOODS Previews
 Jul 9 2022, 09:25:39 PM

Auggie27 said: "Thank you for reviewing the direction. First postexplaining why this Woods might be unmissable, beyond the stellar array of Broadway’s finest. I’ve seen every iteration since anearly preview of the OBC (I saw “Boom Crunch&rdquo and now I believe I have to see this prism on material otherwise so familiar to me."

Of course! I feel like it was getting a little lost in the discussion (easy to do with the plethora of stellar performances).

Also, I just went back and read an interview with deBessonet from 2017 and I think this quote from her describing her approach absolutely captures why this ITW is so good and what her direction brings to it: "My ultimate compass is unearthing the ‘substructure’ of any work, its deep genre.” To me that's exactly what she does here and what made this production such a revelation to me, something I didn't think was possible given how many productions of ITW I have seen over the years.

INTO THE WOODS Previews
 Jul 9 2022, 08:33:08 PM

I just saw today's matinee and this truly is a must see for any fan of the show or Sondheim in general. This is a production I wouldn't regret splurging on if you can afford to and you must.

The cast is beyond incredible, but Lear DeBessonet's direction to me is also one of the main reasons to see this production. Admittedly I have been pretty obsessed with her since her production of Brecht's Good Person of Szechwan at LaMama/the Public and also loved her Public Works

The Flick returns to New York
 May 10 2015, 05:02:25 PM

I highly doubt going in a few weeks is going to change anything with regards to length... It's the same cast and creative team from the Playwrights run. This production was pretty much "locked" before the first preview aside from adapting it to a different space.

Iceman Cometh @ BAM
 Feb 15 2015, 05:33:25 PM
BAM typically doesn't have a set area for rush seats like Broadway shows, a lot of it is based on what's available the night of. Since BAM is largely subscription based a lot of times people will end up not being able to go on the night they have tickets and donate them back to BAM (probably less likely with this show). I'm a BAM subscriber and had people cancel at the last minute and my front orchestra seat ended up going to someone who rushed. It's definitely worth a shot, I don't think I've e
Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
 Feb 15 2015, 04:45:58 PM
People taking pictures with their phones, even without flash, is incredibly annoying and distracting. The screens are very bright and noticeable (and also these morons inevitably are the sort of people who have the sound on). I get that to an extent if the person is in the middle of a wide orchestra section and they take one picture and put their phone away, it's even worse when the usher demands that the picture taker delete the picture in the middle of the show, but that's probably the only si
New Tony Predictions?
 Jan 23 2015, 01:04:37 PM
The thing about Dr. Zhivago though is that I simply do not see it being successful on Broadway. Sure its a known property, but its not a "fun" story. Straight up serious adult romance/drama that's not a classic show just doesn't do well unless its unanimously critically successful. You would have to go back to Light in the Piazza to find a show that even came close without the full fledged critical support and that was in a weaker year with one of the best received scores released on Broadway of
The Elephant Man- cancelled performances
 Jan 23 2015, 12:38:41 PM
I'm sure the producers would have extended the show if it were at all possible, they are making money hand over fist on Elephant Man. I'm sure the contracts with the cast and the fact that Hand to God already has dibs on that theater made it impossible.
New Tony Predictions?
 Jan 23 2015, 11:56:32 AM
Before the remaining shows open I would say only the following shows are locks or near-locks

FUN HOME (Best Musical): There's no way this doesn't get nominated. Most people considered it to be the best musical of last year, it was a Pulitzer finalist, and it has a great pedigree. I don't necessarily think its a lock to win, but I can't see how any of the remaining shows bump it from a nomination.

HONEYMOON IN VEGAS (Best Musical): I think this will likely get in, unless it can'

Jan 23 2015, 11:41:57 AM
When they extended the run, American Sniper was a long shot for most of the big categories and, even if the movie picked up a Best Picture nomination, very few people though Bradley Cooper had any shot of a nomination. The producers probably chose to announce the extension as long as possible figuring they would rather risk the unlikely event of having to cancel the show in order to squeeze as many nights out of this limited run as possible.
Verbal abuse in the audience
 Jan 22 2015, 07:16:24 PM
"This would be an issue regardless of skin color."

That is 100% false. The author's hairstyle is how black women's hair naturally grows, its only an issue because of her race. She doesn't have a particularly unruly style (it's not like it was a giant afro three times the size of her head), that's just what happens for many black women when they have shoulder length hair. It can be "controlled...tamed...changed" (which, great word choice btw) but only at great cost and effort. When you s

Verbal abuse in the audience
 Jan 22 2015, 05:57:29 PM
Wow the lack of self-awareness in this thread and overeager attempt to defend racists is kind of depressing. Criticism about natural black hair comes with the implication that it is somehow lesser or more wild and thus black people are lesser and more wild. The language and tone (even before they showed their hand by using the word "disgusting") used by those who were complaining were full of dog whistle nonsense alluding to that idea. Being told to "tame" your hair or implying that she shouldn'
 Jan 22 2015, 04:49:02 PM
I imagine that Cooper had a provision in his contract for American Sniper requiring him to attend the Oscars and do at least some promotion if he were to be nominated as that's standard practice for film contracts. They probably didn't think it would be an issue because he was a relative longshot for a nomination (only in the last few weeks before the nominations did American Sniper look to have a chance of getting nominated for anything) and thus scheduled The Elephant Man accordingly.
What's next at the Winter Garden
 Sep 9 2014, 08:00:20 PM
Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies were bestsellers in the US too so there is a built-in audience.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You