News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Dawn Davenport

Dawn Davenport Profile Photo
Member Name: Dawn Davenport
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
 Sep 30 2015, 04:02:07 PM

The film version of Mary Poppins IS my childhood, so I wasn't very happy about this news.

But when I read on this board someone suggesting Tom Hiddleston as Bert, and another suggesting Michelle Dockery as Mary, now I CANNOT UNSEE IT.

I would see THAT movie in a heartbeat.

(forgive me, Dame Julie!!)

Team Madonna vs. Team Lin-Manuel
 Apr 20 2015, 02:11:25 PM

"I have no issue with someone using their phone either prior to the show starting and at intermission. That is, of course, provided that they put the phone away during the show. What Cumberbatch did was, in my mind okay. But, Madonna has had this pompous holier than thou attitude lately which leads her to feel as if society norms are beneath her. She comes off as a stuck up little bitch and I am glad that Lin-Manuel didn't invite her backstage. Good job on his par

Apr 20 2015, 01:34:48 PM

"A LuPone Madonna showdown would have been epic actually. laughing"

I'm sure LuPone would have a few choice words about Madonna playing Evita in the film version....

Apr 20 2015, 01:09:06 PM

Team Lin-Manuel, all the way!   It's beyond rude to text or use your cellphone at ALL during a performance.   She should damn well know better.

I love that she got called out on it publicly.

I've only sat near a celebrity once during a stage performance.  Benedict Cumberbatch sat two seats away from me at Coriolanus in London last year.  He texted like a FIEND during the entire intermission.  During the performance, he put his phone away and gave

Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
 Feb 19 2015, 11:55:03 AM
Hi Wonkit, I seem to recall that story about the couple getting busy in St. Patrick's! I'm going to make a wild guess that alcohol or drugs were involved....
Excessive tactics over taking pictures in the theater
 Feb 18 2015, 12:56:09 PM
I'll never understand why it's so hard for people to turn off their phones during the duration of a show (ESPECIALLY live performance!)

It happens everywhere now, there don't seem to be ANY boundaries. Just before Christmas I was inside St. Patrick's Cathedral while a mass was going on in one of the small chapels. While I stood to the back watching quietly, a tourist in front of me HELD UP HIS IPAD AND STARTED FILMING THE MASS. A security guard immediately told him to put i

Best Performances of 2014?
 Dec 29 2014, 04:02:35 PM
Frank Langella as King Lear at BAM. I was sobbing so much at the end of that show I had to run to the ladies room to gather myself.

Neil Patrick Harris as Hedwig---the man is a force of nature. I love him in anything so I guess I'm a little biased but he DID win the Tony so I guess I'm not alone

Christian Borle in "Little Me" - he is such a hoot.

kd lang in "After Midnight" - she's my favorite singer so it was swell to see her do her thing on a Broadway stage. Her voice is just heaven.

Kelli O'Hara and Steven Pasquale in Bridges of Madison County (got the soundtrack for Christmas, listened to it all day today--both of them sing so exquisitely--so, SO good.) Still bitter this show was so under the radar. I'm glad I got to see it, and I didn't even WANT to---I took my sister to see it because she loves Pasquale and I ended up falling in love with both of them and that luscious score.

Ensemble---the cast of The Last Ship. I think they're all terrific and I love the songs in that show. Loved it even more the second time I saw it.

(my NON-New York favorite 2014 theatrical performance was Tom Hiddleston as Coriolanus at the Donmar in London. He has got incredible stage presence and a speaking voice to DIE for. Hoping he'll come visit the NY stage someday in the not too distant future......)

Silliest things said in a theatre.
 Dec 18 2014, 11:03:20 AM
Do movie theatres count?

Because the first thing that popped into my head when I read this question was when I was at a movie theatre to watch the film version of "Sweeney Todd" and I heard some dumbbell sitting behind me say before the movie started "I wonder if Danny Elfman did the score to this movie?"

I couldn't face palm hard enough......

Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
 Dec 12 2014, 02:58:50 PM
Whoops, I meant to say Sting's final performance in the show, not the final performance of the show itself!

I hope it runs for a long time after he is gone!

Sting to Officially Join THE LAST SHIP
 Dec 12 2014, 02:53:29 PM
As WithoutATrace mentioned earlier in this thread, Sting is a great addition to the show. I also saw it in previews, and again this past Wednesday (I was at the matinee performance.)

I enjoyed it during previews, but thought Michael Esper was a bit weak in the role of Gideon. It took me a long time to warm up to him that first time.

Now the entire cast seems to be just where they need to be, all of them singing their hearts out (and beautifully) including Esper. I thought

Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
 Jun 20 2013, 08:39:30 AM
::quote::To be fair, his work on Harold and Kumar was not what I would call family friendly at all (and that was what really brought him back to the public eye and gave him the exposure to land How I Met Your Mother). And even though that show is on in the 8:00 (family) time slot his role there isn't exactly the most family friendly there either. So he's pushed away from that label well before taking this role on.::end quote::

Point well taken. He also must've shocked the Doogie Howser

Breaking News: Neil Patrick Harris to Star in HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH on Broadway - Spring 2014!
 Jun 19 2013, 03:49:53 PM
I'm a big fan of NPH, I think he's great. I'd hoped that he'd bring a Barnum revival to NY (he's so perfect for that) but when I heard this news I got REALLY excited because it was so completely unexpected.

I LOVE IT!!!

It shows how eager he is to stretch as an actor/singer, how willing to take a risk on something not safe and not "family friendly."

Can't wait to see what he'll do with this role---I saw him live in the Company concert (twice) and a bootleg of his

Big Stars You Have Seen Treading The Boards, But Before They Became Famous?
 Jan 17 2013, 04:07:03 PM
I saw Ian McKellan play Salieri in the original Broadway cast of "Amadeus". I was there to see Tim Curry since I was nuts about him, but both of them were standouts (and McKellan was completely new to me.) Jane Seymour was in it as well but I think she was already known by then.

Also as someone else commented in this thread I saw Glenn Close in both Barnum and The Crucifer of Blood.

My mom and her sister have THE best bragging rights though. They saw Picnic on Broadway back

GRACE: Preview Thread
 Oct 4 2012, 04:21:00 PM
I guess I should probably disregard the negative reviews here and make it a point to see this, if only for Michael Shannon.

I saw him in Mistakes Were Made, and the play itself wasn't the greatest. BUT....I thought Shannon's performance in that was so intense and skilled, I was (literally) shaking and crying when I left the theatre. He's just a compelling actor. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Broadway Flea the other week and told him how extraordinary I thought he was in that p

Young Broadway actresses too cool for stage door?
 Jul 24 2012, 11:29:46 AM
QUOTE (from humbugfoto:) If you're going to stagedoor, I'd think it'd be far more special to be able to have that actor's undivided attention and chat with them for ten or fifteen seconds. THAT would be a memory to take home. But a bit of ink on a piece of paper?

I just don't get it. END QUOTE

I've been going to the theatre for MANY years (I'm old) and never really thought to even stagedoor. Very few exceptions to that---I asked my aunt to get Tim Curry's autograph outs

Is the Company 2011 Philharmonic DVD still happening?
 Jul 12 2012, 08:44:41 AM
HUZZAH!!!!! I need to own this (hopefully on Blu-ray!!)

Saw it live, and I want to relive it.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!! {{{happy dance}}}

Is the Company 2011 Philharmonic DVD still happening?
 Jul 2 2012, 11:13:01 AM
I'll be so sad if this doesn't happen. I can't believe they wouldn't at least show it on PBS. The cast was so superb and I think someone like Stephen Colbert would draw in even non-musical fans curious to see him perform in this show.

Best Recording of Jesus Christ Superstar? Or: Why is Josh Young so hot?
 Jun 29 2012, 12:05:02 PM
My sister and I saw the revival twice. The first time we saw it Jeremy Kushnier was filling in as Judas and he was terrific. We went a second time to see Josh Young as Judas.

Josh Young was quite frankly sexier which made the "triangle" between Judas, Jesus and Mary more charged (my opinion anyway.) Both are wonderful singers and actors and were worth seeing!

My sis and I stage-doored the 2nd time we saw it and EVERYONE (including Josh Young) was lovely, warm, friendly.

Will the Philharmonic's COMPANY be released on DVD?
 Nov 7 2011, 01:41:18 PM
I'm gutted that they don't plan to release this. It's CRAZY not to at least show it once on PBS? Or print a small number of DVDs and see how they sell?

I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT {{{{{{{whines and stomps foot}}}

Can't wait to read some HUGH JACKMAN reviews!
 Oct 28 2011, 11:48:41 AM
My sister and I saw the show last night---loved it. Hugh is just impossible to resist, he's got so much charisma!

My ONLY quibble is I would've loved to hear him sing something from Les Miz, just to give us a taste of what's to come.

Other than that, the time FLEW by, he is so much fun to watch and listen to.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You