News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Profile Photo
Member Name: ScubaSteve
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: What's Your Favorite Block of 3 Consecutive Songs on a Cast Recording?
 Dec 22 2005, 01:13:42 AM
All of "Parade", best 28 tracks in sequence on any cast recording :P

K, so I'm a bit biased, this makes a bit more sense:

A Really Lousy Day In The Universe/Braindead/Whenever I Dream/Eating Myself Up Alive: "A New Brain"

You Boys Are Gonna Get Me In Such Trouble/Homeless Lady's Revenge/Time/Time and Music/I Feel So Much Spring: "A New Brain"

Ballad of Czologsz/Unworthy of Your Love/Ballad of Guiteau: "Assassins"

Comfort and Joy/Make A Joyful Noise/Le

re: What CD's are planning on adding to you musical collection this X-Mas ?
 Dec 22 2005, 12:59:17 AM
Sweeney Todd
A Little Night Music
Elegies: A Song Cycle
Ragtime
Falsettos
Anastasia (k, not a broadway musical, but a damned fine animated musical. and, yes, this makes me a dork)

Butz performed Macy's???
 Nov 28 2005, 09:26:18 PM
Okay, so my mother tells me the other day that Norb performed Great Big Stuff during the Macy's Parade. Is there any way in heck that I can find this clip somewhere online, as I am kicking myself for missing it. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks guys.
re: Musical with a bridge/wall set
 Nov 1 2005, 06:19:59 PM
Darn it, I was gonna say The Fantasticks... tho I couldn't see a high school doing a show that only needs 5 people.
re: Lauren Kennedy is the new 'Lady of the Lake' beginning December 20
 Oct 31 2005, 09:43:23 AM
She'll be great at it. I saw her at the Songs For A New World concert in Boston, and man, can she belt. Beautiful voice, and strong, its a wonder she hasn't received her due yet.

and TOTAL topic change, but I just have to say: Patronus, every time I see you mess around with Norb's picture, it just makes my friggin day. I can't explain it, it just does.

re: 'Songs For A New World' Boston Concert - thoughts???
 Oct 25 2005, 04:35:35 PM
"Scuba- The Symphony Space concert was the one Jason was talking about last night. It wasn't in Boston, it was in New York."

Doh! My mistake *puts on dunce cap* But, still, is there the chance he may be back in Boston in the next few years? I mean, you never really know, but just wondering all the same.

re: 'Songs For A New World' Boston Concert - thoughts???
 Oct 25 2005, 03:31:05 PM
There was a concert in May? Does Jason come to Boston often? Because I'm just starting in college here, and that would rule my world if he made another stop or two while I'm here.

And, you're right, its not always about someone being better, but I enjoyed Lauren's voice much more than Sherie's. That's just me.

Jason was hysterical. I loved the bit when he said "So MTI licensed seven productions of Songs to be performed in the next six months, which was wierd cause the music was

"Songs For A New World" Boston Concert - thoughts???
 Oct 25 2005, 01:14:40 AM
Anyone here go see that? It was PHENOMENAL!!! And I shook the man's hand afterwards! Sure, I was a blubbering, stumbling mess, but I still shook his hand. I'll have to try that again when I'm not totally awestruck. But seriously, I thought it was great, a few issues with lighting, but all of the voices were great. One in particular (I think his name was Andrew Giordano, can't remember) reminded me of Brooks Ashmanskas from the original recording, he just had a very rich voice, and he did "The Wo
re: What if a different composer did your favorite/least favorite show...?
 Oct 2 2005, 09:38:46 PM
Just thought of another one.

Sondheim doing "Thrill Me: The Leopold and Loeb Story"

Have this cast recording, really don't like it that much, but the idea is decent. Mr. Sondheim would have a field day with it.

What if a different composer did your favorite/least favorite show...?
 Oct 2 2005, 06:02:01 PM
Okay, wierd thought crossed my mind earlier today, so I was thinking about these few things:

1. Name a show that you may or may not like, but that you'd like to see a different composer doing the lyrics. i.e.: Adam Guettel doing Yeston's "Titanic" or Jonathon Larson doing "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat", which are my picks.

2. Name your favorite show, and who you think would have done the worst job with composing. For me, the show is "Parade", and I'd have to say

re: Favorite JRB Duet
 Sep 26 2005, 11:12:27 PM
What else has Brent Carver been in? When I heard he got Gandolf, they billed him as like this international superstar actor. And he may very well be, but I've never heard of him beyond Parade.
re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
 Sep 26 2005, 10:57:42 PM
The way I picked up this recording was kind of odd. I had this gift certificate to send away for one CD through this mail-order service, may have been BMG, can't be sure. Anywho, I really didn't like anything avail, so I picked a Crash Test Dummies one, but they made you pick a second one, in case the first one was out of stock. So, I looked at everything again, still was unsure about what to put down, then I remembered that, for band, we were doing this medley of songs from Bway shows, and 'God
 Sep 26 2005, 04:22:54 PM
I never could get into Carolee Carmello on that recording. I have the Jekyll & Hyde with her in it, and that one was much better as far as her voice was concerned, in my humble opinion. And its nice to see somebody who likes "Picture Show", so many of my friends think its one of his weaker pieces, but I think its really funny.
 Sep 26 2005, 01:28:24 AM
Bumpage...
Favorite JRB Duet
 Sep 25 2005, 10:34:13 PM
Was reading the "Songs For A New World" post on the message board, and an odd thought occured to me: now, there are a large amount of Jason Robert Brown fans on this site, and one of the things that impresses me so much about his work is just how beautiful his duets are. So, my question is, what is your favorite duet in any JRB show? This would include "Next 10 Minutes" from L5Y, "I'd Give It All For You" from Songs, and "All The Wasted Time" from Parade. Well, I guess you could include Parade's
re: Songs for a New World
 Sep 25 2005, 10:29:45 PM
I have a bunch of friends who are JRB-philes and that topic has come up before. Actually, if you think about it, it almost sounds like Man 1 is the prototypical Jamie, and Woman 2 is the precursor to Kathy. "She Cries" and "The World Was Dancing" sort of strike me as in line with Jamie's character, and "I'm Not Afraid" struck me like "A Part Of That" as far as the message of worrying about whether the guy truly loves her or not. I mean, I know its impossible for Jamie and Kathy to have been lift
re: Saturday Night
 Sep 25 2005, 04:23:29 AM
Right, Sondheim was incredibly young when he wrote it, I'm just saying that that shows. He's a genius, just wasn't back then.
re: Saturday Night
 Sep 24 2005, 10:51:03 PM
I actually was in a production of this show, oddly enough.

It is my least favorite Sondheim, and I don't exactly know too much of his stuff, but this one caught me as boring. "What More Do I Need" is interesting, and the "Saturday Night" theme itself is decent, but it hits some bad notes for me, like in "Man of Means", "That Kind Of A Neighborhood", and the ending was like "wait, this is over now? what the hell???"

I'd only get this one if you were a massive Sondheim collector.

re: School Play Auditions Plea
 Sep 24 2005, 05:10:20 PM
Oooo, Gethsemane, good choice, good song. Don't try the high wailing during auditions tho, try to keep it to what's written (cause i don't think those high wailing notes are written).
re: School Play Auditions Plea
 Sep 24 2005, 11:23:57 AM
Out of the ones you've got there, One Song Glory is probably the best choice. Also, if you have the opportunity at all, check out Tick Tick Boom, w/music also by Jonathon Larson. Some of the songs there go pretty high. And Labashier is right, singing music from the show you're auditioning for is normally considered a bad idea. I mean, I've seen guys get away with it before (for Pippin, this one guy sang "Corner of the Sky" and got the lead), but it's risky, and you have to be very, very, very go
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You