News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for RuprechtJr.

RuprechtJr. Profile Photo
Member Name: RuprechtJr.
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Follies Entr'acte
 May 9 2013, 08:35:59 AM
In the score, it's measure 109 to the end of Too Many Mornings. Oboe feature on melody, Violin takes over on final phrase.
Jason Robert Brown wants you to boycott the Drama Desks
 Apr 29 2012, 04:27:19 PM
CATSNYrevival, I don't see JRB as being a di*k (here). It's widely known that Wildhorn can't notate. Any musician can listen to his music and tell by his chord progressions that it doesn't advance beyond college level 2 theory knowledge. Now, his music is still great and immensely enjoyable (I'm in the minority of really enjoying Bonnie & Clyde) but I don't think Brown is chastising him for that. He's merely pointing out that in this case (and with Stephen Schwartz and Mel Brooks) the orches
Into the Woods Funny Video?
 Apr 23 2012, 10:50:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXVpyUM0hoY
Hear the ENTIRE Newsies Cast Album on WNYC Radio
 Apr 2 2012, 04:12:10 PM
God this album sounds spectacular! But did anyone else notice a loud squeak in "Santa Fe" (possibly clarinet) on the last chord before the button? How'd that get through?

Myths & Hymns
 Feb 5 2012, 12:46:11 AM
I agree with you, kidmanboy, it was still an exciting night getting to hear the music and I look forward to seeing it again when they're more settled into the score. And the clapping issue wasn't necessarily about being engrossed in emotion to me. I personally love it when a song flows so smoothly to the next and you are too engrossed to ruin the tension with applause, but there were some moments that worked like that in the show and then there was some awkward direction and whatnot that didn'
Myths & Hymns
 Feb 4 2012, 11:53:25 PM
"Awaiting You" can effectively be sung by a woman. It's written in a register that can work for a belter. Sadly, Linda's voice is so weathered, her vibrato and (what I call) "chunky chords" ruined the song for me.

I feel like Adam Guettel wrote the score to fit his odd range, and when it came time to cast the concert he found people that could sing it as written (Bob Stillman, Lawrence Clayton, Darius de Haas) so he didn't need to adjust it. Sadly, this cast isn't quite up to the c

Myths & Hymns
 Feb 4 2012, 04:47:42 PM
I saw it two nights ago. It certainly wasn't the worst, but far from the best. The story Ms Lucas created to tie all the songs together was intriguing. Linda Balgord plays an older mother who lost the ability to speak, seemingly to a stroke. Her daughter can't take care of her anymore and needs to sell the house and get her mother to a nursing home. On the last day before the auction the mother hides out in her attic and goes through trinkets and important memorabilia from her past, each on
Broadway Songs in 6/8 and 9/8 time
 Jan 11 2012, 12:13:38 AM
"Almost ANYTHING from A Little Night Music..."

Not true. Most of the score is in either 12/8, 3/2, 3/8, or 3/4. Only a few are in true 6/8 or 9/8. And "Miller's Son" even goes in 2/4 for a brief period with the accents adjusted to fit the "everything in this score can be subdivided into 3s" rule.

"Funny" from City of Angels - 6/8

Broadway Songs in 6/8 and 9/8 time
 Jan 10 2012, 05:55:41 PM
Memory, Send in the Clowns, I Know Where I've Been, I'm Still Here, and Hopelessly Devoted are all in 12/8. I think Do You Hear The People Sing is in 4/4 with a lot of dotted eighth-sixteenth rhythms.

From "A Little Night Music":
Ev'ry Day a Little Death 6/8
Now 6/8
It Would Have Been Wonderful 9/8

Wild Animals You Should Know (Has anyone seen this?)
 Nov 6 2011, 10:16:02 AM
I was there last night too, Whizzer. I'm kind of on the fence about the show. I thought there were really good moments in the play that really land, and of course others that didn't. I feel like a lot of the laughs didn't happen because the actors didn't time it right. When we did laugh, it was in the middle of the joke. Then the end of the joke came, the actors waited for a laugh, and nothing.

I felt like all the dialogue was good and natural, nothing forced, and the actors all

New Poll: Who Would You Like to See as 'Fanny Brice' in the Revival of FUNN
 Jul 22 2011, 05:22:16 PM
Farah Alvin hands down. Just saw her open Funny Girl at Gretna and she was perfection. A serious broadway talent that deserves more exposure than others on the list.
THE ADDAMS FAMILY Promo Ad featuring Brooke Shields
 Jun 11 2011, 07:51:12 AM
It looks like someone just "face-in-the-hole'd" John Barrowman's face into and old Bebe Neuwirth picture, complete with a bit of temple hair peeking through the wig. I like Addams Family and look forward to seeing Brooke in the role, but this is just awful.
Okay, now that we've had time to digest Book of Mormon's Cast CD...
 Jun 6 2011, 10:43:57 PM
"In ancient New York three men were about to cut off a Mormon woman's cl*toris..."

I honestly have to pause it to stop laughing, he delivers the line hilariously! He sounds like he gets disgusted at even saying the word.

Just listened to HOW TO SUCCEED samples on Amazon, and....
 May 24 2011, 01:55:08 PM
best12, there's actually a respectable 15 bodies in the pit. And my friends Nick, Larry, Scott, and George are no summer stock players. A good amount of the musicians down there are some of the top jazz performers on their instruments in the city. The vocals, on the other hand...
Why do kicklines provoke a Pavlovian applause response in audiences...?
 Apr 14 2011, 11:48:16 PM
I think almost all kicklines are at the end of an exhausting dance break and it's a kind of pre-end congratulations. As if waiting to the end of the song wasn't good enough to applaud the dancers, they had to do it at the big climax of the dance break. Eh, it isn't a necessary thing, but I usually get caught up in the moment and clap anyway. The kickline after the dance break in MAME, even the orchestral build up is exciting.
RENT 'revival' Auditions
 Mar 19 2011, 02:03:15 AM
So if I arrive two hours before signups for Spamalot's tour open call this thursday will that be enough or is this the norm now for open calls?
Is there an orchestra for PRISCILLA in NYC
 Mar 11 2011, 03:14:29 PM
Broadwayboobs, i had a feeling And I don't necessarily agree with 802, even though I'm a member. Theoretically they should use live musicians, but it's up to the producers in this case. They have a pit, it's not like it's entirely tracked (save for one song).
 Mar 11 2011, 11:10:26 AM
"Orchestra...No Orchestra...patato...patato."

First of all it potato Dan Quayle. Secondly, tell that to theatre musicians looking for work. Tell that to the string section replaced by a keyboard in "West Side Story." Tell that to the strings and woodwinds that could have played in "Priscilla" but don't get the chance to because of the producer's cheap decision to record them once rather than use them "full time."

Mar 11 2011, 07:39:59 AM
There's actually a fuss over this going on at 802. There is a small pit, yes, but they're using pre-recorded instruments on a click track as well to enhance the sound. I believe it's strings and extra woodwinds. Since the Palace's pit minimum is 18, they have to have an artistic reason to have a smaller pit. And since the pre-recorded backings are essentially just a money saving device rather than an artistic device, the union isn't approving.
Glenn Beck: The liberal media hates 'Spider-Man'
 Jan 13 2011, 01:03:49 PM
Gothampc, you are the very reason I rarely post on this board. I'm afraid to sound as stupid as you, so I think very carefully about what I'm saying before posting. Please do the same.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You