News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Kent

Member Name: Kent
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

a big succesful show that hasn't been revived yet.
 Jan 14 2010, 06:40:20 PM
Sorry,double posting.
a big succesful show that hasn't been revived yet.
 Jan 14 2010, 06:40:29 PM
ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY - This landmark musical needs to be revived for many reasons: it's considered Broadways last great Golden Era score with book & lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green (Wonderful Town) and music by Cy Coleman (Sweety Charity, City of Angles, Will Roger's Follies). Originally directed by Hal Prince. Part operetta, part screwball comedy; it's a hilarious, inventive, big, splashy musical comedy in the best sense of the word. But more than anything audiences deserve to revisit OTTC's technically brilliant design work. Robin Wagner's sleek and beautiful art deco train is considered by many to be among the greatest of Broadway set designs (a formidable group to top for sure). Much like Wagner's landmark design for A Chorus Line, OTTC's set became as much a character as any of the actors onstage, moving, unfolding, shrinking and growing as it sped along a-vista (in full view) to the show's pulsing train-like rhythms. The show ran for well over a year on Broadway. When Madeline Kahn dropped out very early in the run due to "vocal stress" Judy Kaye stepped into the taxing role of "Lily Garland" and became a fully-blown Broadway star.

I never witnessed the Broadway production but years later saw a bus-and-truck production featuring OBC members Judy Kaye and Imogene Coca. I remember Coca seeming a bit odd on stage that night(odder than usual then not coming out for the curtain call. We found out later she'd suffered a heart attack towards the end of the evening's performance (non-fatal). Even with one of the lead actors at death's door and without it's brilliant set I found the show to be a gem. If you've never heard it, do yourself a favor and buy the soundtrack. Before I bought the CD I owned the LP. This was one that I played nearly through the grooves.

Please...someone...bring back ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. Keep the score, keep the direction, KEEP THE SET, ...update the sound and lighting. This one's a winner.

Fuerzabruta "seating"
 May 14 2009, 12:16:54 PM
Quick question (sorry if this has been covered in another thread). Telecharge lists the seating for Fuerzabruta as "general admission," but when I started to buy 3 tickets, it gave me "Row 1, Seats 4-6." I understand that we'll stand for the entire 70 min performance, but will our place in the room be predetermined by our tickets or based on when we show up? Are there some spots in the room that are better for viewing/interaction than others?

Any input, hints, tips, etc. to get the most

re: A Chorus Line review 9/23
 Sep 26 2006, 04:13:10 PM
"There's room for only one baby harp seal on this board."

LOL LOL LOL

re: Song you can't stand from a show you love...
 Sep 8 2006, 08:25:20 PM
"Sing" from A Chorus Line. I don't mind it on stage, it does have a certain theatricality about it. But listen to in the car? I almost always skip this track.
re: Why does the CHORUS LINE revival cost 10 million dollars?
 Sep 6 2006, 12:14:38 AM
I think that's a totally fair response. You don't seem to be in reaction, just acurately describing what you see and feel.

Sometimes people are just affected differently by certain material. I know some people are deeply moved by Rent. Personally I find it amateurish and sketchy. Trying way too hard to say way too much with way too broad a strokes.

I will say this about A Chorus Line: I think the specific production you see can make all the difference. I grew up listeni

re: Why does the CHORUS LINE revival cost 10 million dollars?
 Sep 4 2006, 05:34:01 PM
When it comes to people that “like” or “don’t like” A Chorus Line, I have a few general observations I’ve noticed over the years: (these may or may not be the case with you, phantom8019, but since you brought up the topic…)

First of all, I think we have to ask ourselves what A Chorus Line is really about and what makes it so different. While there are certainly many interpretations and layers to the show, I’d like to suggest that A Chorus Line at it’s core is a big dose of HONESTY. Yes,

re: My favorite Merman quote
 Aug 17 2006, 02:35:17 PM
This one from my friend and fellow Merman fan, Randy:

"One of my favorite Mermanisms is that she apparently called Mervyn LeRoy (Rosalind Russell's husband, and the guy who directed both the screen version of 'Gypsy' as well as Judy Garland in 1939's most famous film musical) 'The Lizard of Roz.'"

re: My favorite Merman quote
 Aug 17 2006, 02:05:59 PM
Can't swear this one's true, and I'm definitely paraphrasing:

Merman was working in a show with Loretta Young, and regularly spouting off in her famous potty mouth. Apparently Miss Young was offended by the language, or at least grew tired of it, so she placed a big glass jar backstage with a sign on it that read "SWEARING $1.00"). When Elthel saw the sign she turned to the actress and said:

Ethel: What the hell is this?

Loretta: It's a swearin

re: How is Grey Gardens?
 Aug 13 2006, 11:14:30 AM
Funny you should say that about the "August 22nd" thing. I heard about it yesterday and my first thought was "NOOOOO...Armagedon CAN'T start in August. I have tickets to "A Chorus Line," "Grey Gardens" and "Spamalot" in OCTOBER!

Aug 12 2006, 08:04:51 PM
"Where can I get this CD?"

I was going to order from Amazon.com, but found out they're not releasing the CD until August 22, so I ordered from PS Classics instead - they're shipping now.

http://www.psclassics.com/cd_greygardens.html

Aug 12 2006, 05:01:40 PM
Just got my recording yesterday. Love it. Gorgeous score. And beautifully produced CD jacket, production notes, etc. I especially appreciate the interview with composer Scott Frankel, lyricist Michael Korie and librettist Doug Wright. It gave me a lot of insight into the show and what the creators were going for. Now I'm SUPER excited to see this show. I had seen the documentary of Grey Gardens a while back and I’d already bought tickets for the Broadway preview in October, but still wasn't quit
re: Worst broadway or off-broadway musical/play you've ever seen?
 Aug 11 2006, 11:08:18 AM
MAMMA MIA

And I love ABBA's music. The book was a piece of ca-ca. It reminded me of a bad "Love Boat" episode. Because the book sucked so bad (trite, amateurish and formulaic beyond belief) I had a hard time enjoying anything else - singing, acting or technical. I practically threw myself off the mezzanine during the "Scuba fins/wedding dress dream sequence." Absolute dreck.

Actually to be fair I should say everything in MAMMA MIA except the last 10 minutes was the worst Broadw

'A Chorus Line' review thread
 Aug 6 2006, 12:16:03 PM
"Have you ever walked into a show with incredibly high expectations...and been completely blown away by it yourself, regardless?"

Yes, but only a handful of times. And when it does happen I find the experience to be so powerful that it sticks with me for days and days. In fact, I never quite forget it. I literally feel altered after the show. My senses are heightened and I remember exactly how things looked, sounded and smelled - even outside the theatre.

re: high school musical pep rally @ disney world and disney land?
 Aug 5 2006, 05:15:46 PM
I'd rather have needles poked in my eyes than sit through an up-with-people-everyone-clap-your-hands version of High School Musical.
 Aug 5 2006, 04:57:20 PM
Well, I think getting one's expectations too high can be a dangerous thing when it comes to theatre (or just about anything else for that matter...I'll never forget looking around the room at my high school senior prom and thinking..."hmmmm...I spent the last 4 months getting worked up over THIS.") In fact, there have been very few "hyped-to-death" plays, musical or movies that I felt actually lived up to the buzz. And I've found myself on more than one occasion wondering what all the fuss was a
 Aug 5 2006, 10:56:18 AM
"Tonight was like visiting an old friend who was still as sharp and looked as good as when we first met."

Thanks jimnysf,

Your experience reminds me of why I'm so looking forward to this revival - to revisit the profound experience I had when A Chorus Line first opened...even if it's now only a museum piece. I really don't expect the production to be perfect(whatever that means). And I don't think it's even possible for the show to have the impact and shock value it once did. B

re: Newspaper Reviews for 'A Chorus Line' in SF
 Aug 3 2006, 11:42:02 PM
..."the point...[of the finale is] that after spending two hours baring their souls...and demonstrating how special and unique each and every one of them is, at the end they're just a bunch of anonymous, identical, nameless, faceless automatons...."

It's interesting, I know enough about A CHORUS LINE and its history to be aware that this "faceless" quality is what Bennett was aiming for. And I guess on one level I accepted Bennett's concept intellectual

re: Webber Fears Musicals Future
 Aug 2 2006, 07:33:54 PM
"'This was posted yesterday'

and I already made the same comment about "Cats" in that thread that I see here."

Well get her.....

Webber Fears Musicals Future
 Aug 2 2006, 10:18:13 AM
Oh please......This from the man who brought us "CATS."

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You