News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TabooPhan1

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
Member Name: TabooPhan1
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.joedangio.com
Blog Address: http://www.joedangio.com/blog
Profile: "Who did this to you?"
"Uncle Frank and Aunt Jack..."
~Mrs. Doubtfire

"I know what you're going to say, 'if you kill the mother, then the fetus dies too!'. But the fetus is going to be aborted anyway, so why not let it go down with the ship?"
~The Birdcage

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when I walk into an open sewer and die"
~Mel Brooks

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Anyone see the first performance of the Papermill Playhouse's FULL MONT  Jun 12 2009, 02:58:38 AM
Saw the show tonight...

The long and short of it, in my opinion is:

If his other work is anything like what he did on stage tonight as Jerry, Wayne Wilcox doesn't belong anywhere near a stage.

Elaine seems to be having a bit of trouble remembering lines/lyrics, but at her age I'm more than willing to forgive. She is so energetic and vibrant onstage! Definitely a privilege to be able to see her work live.

Milton Craig Nealy as Horse was AMAZING. "Big Black Man"

re: 'Pippin' at Mark Taper Forum  Dec 22 2008, 01:14:19 AM
Not to cause a stir, but there is at least a grain of truth in Rentboy's statement. I was recently in attendance at an ASL Interpreter's Forum at Union County College in Cranford, NJ at which Alan Champion spoke. Alan Champion is the most notable interpreter for Broadway shows, being the first person to interpret a live performance on Broadway. I had an opportunity to speak with Mr. Champion, asking him what he was currently working on and he told me that he and Candace Broecker-Penn (his long-t
re: Hairspray National Tour!!!  May 11 2008, 08:42:36 PM
That can't be, because Amy sent me pictures of her performance from Friday. If someone tells me how to post pictures in messages, I'd be happy to share a couple.
re: Hairspray National Tour!!!  May 10 2008, 03:59:10 PM
Aw did anyone see her performance??? Her facebook says not to call her til she gets back in the country, so I have really no way of contacting her at the moment. I'd love to hear how her shows have been though.
re: Hairspray National Tour!!!  May 10 2008, 11:25:36 AM
Is this the only National Tour (I know someone mentioned there's a non-equity, is there an equity?) because I have a friend who said she was just cast as Tracy like a week or two ago. She was in rehearsals for a few days, and then went to Toronto. Maybe you saw her? Her name's Amy Toporek. I'd love to know how she's doing.
Performance Rights  Mar 27 2008, 09:59:20 PM
If a show is not licensed by a large company like MTI, who owns the rights? Is it still possible in some way to get performance rights to these shows?

Thanks!

-Joe

re: Songs of woe and suffering - saddest Broadway songs  Feb 18 2008, 12:42:47 AM
This one is arguable I guess, but I would put a bid in for "I Am What I Am" from La Cage Aux Folles. Although it's empowering and honest, it comes from a place of deep hurt and betrayal. Cerainly the moment is very sad, maybe not the song...

Otherwise I would second Petrified from Taboo, and nominate Il Adore.

re: Critics Are Good - An Essay  Jan 11 2008, 07:37:03 PM
I see where you're coming from, and I would like to agree with you, however I feel a little bit differently.

I think the idea of having entertainment critics is good. However, the problem I have with them is not that they simply exist, it's that people like Michael Riedel start to believe that because they're a theatre critic they have some kind of keen eye that others don't have. I have found that many (not all) critics just end up sounding pompous and self-gratifying, and most times I

re: School edition of SWEENEY TODD coming soon..  Dec 17 2007, 05:44:33 PM
And PS:

"Okay pumpkin!" should end with a question mark, not an exclamation mark, as it is a question... unless you're complimenting a pumpkin.

re: School edition of SWEENEY TODD coming soon..  Dec 17 2007, 05:41:28 PM
artsamore-

You are absolutely correct- this is not a discussion of world politics, nor is it an NPR forum. So if you would not like your comments to be criticized with absurd generalizations, perhaps you should try to keep absurd generalizations out of your criticism (ie: "There is really nothing worse! There are many shows out there that schools can do that would be educational and challenge the students without being idiotic and laughable production."). And unless you are some sort of

re: School edition of SWEENEY TODD coming soon..  Dec 15 2007, 10:55:42 PM
You're right, there really is nothing worse than a bad high school musical. Genocide, disease, famine, and poverty don't rank very high, but a high school production of Sweeney Todd is enough to bring down the human race...

A Catered Affair?  Dec 15 2007, 03:12:04 PM
Is this show still planning on coming to New York? It was like after the strike it just disappeared, and I haven't heard a word about it. Anyone know anything?
re: School edition of SWEENEY TODD coming soon..  Dec 15 2007, 03:09:08 PM
Haha, I agree sometimes it's hard to tell where you draw the line, however I think some of these shows can be tailored at least a little to be high school appropriate. Although a part of me feels guilty for not allowing the kids to see the ingenuity of the full piece. However, there is no question in my mind that more provocative and influential shows should be a part of the curriculum of high school theatre students.
re: School edition of SWEENEY TODD coming soon..  Dec 15 2007, 11:05:04 AM
I'll never understand why it's such a bad thing to some people to make a school edition of classic musicals/plays. It's educational theatre, not Lincoln Center. Let the kids learn the classic shows by doing them, you're not required to see it... and they're not charging 100 dollars a ticket. I say let them have fun and learn a little about important musicals by getting their feet wet.
People here are weird.  Dec 6 2007, 04:19:09 PM
"TabooPhan1: If you were cast in a Broadway show and discovered that you were unable to hit one particular note, no matter how hard you tried, would you resign? Surely you would want to give the audience what they paid for."

That depends, do I have a following already like LBB? Cause if I did, I'd tell the producers they had to change the note, cause they're not gonna recast someone like Bundy who's already got a following from Hairspray and Wicked. It's not so black and white, and I d

People here are weird.  Dec 6 2007, 12:47:09 PM
"No offense, but none of the characters in Millie have quite the strenuous demands on them as the character of Elle in Legally Blonde."

I disagree.

People here are weird.  Dec 6 2007, 12:38:20 PM
"And people who wanna bash her and say she shouldn't be on broadway...just to clarify - are you really that ignorant and so completely clueless? LBB is on Broadway. You are not. Get over yourselves."

For the record, those of us who are still students are most likely aspiring to reach Broadway, and even if that wasn't our intended goal, there is no reason why we can't critique her performance. Being on Broadway does not make you immune to criticism... quite the contrary, actually. If you

re: Laura Bell Bundy and the Note  Dec 6 2007, 01:02:33 AM
"Yes, Ethel Merman did carry Gypsy, but I don't seem to remember the names of her exhaustive dance numbers in that show. Help me out here folks... she danced in what, three numbers? Did she do "You Gotta Have A Gimmick?" "All I need is the Girl?" Maybe NONE!!"

So LBB should be out of breath for about 5 minutes, and then back on track. I did Thoroughly Modern Millie this summer, and the opening number is INTENSE dance for about 5 minutes, and then I had to sustain a high A for the end o

re: Laura Bell Bundy and the Note  Dec 5 2007, 02:00:48 PM
"Musical Theatre isn't always about hitting the notes perfectly. On the cast recording, sure, but every night in a show that rests on your shoulders? Character should come first. She's not off-key, she just can't always get there. Big deal. I think she's doing great. Has she even missed a performance yet?"

I could not disagree with you more. Characterization is a vital part of theatre, obviously... but they don't call it MUSICAL theatre for nothing. This is professional theatre, not som

re: leaving the theater with make-up on  Oct 30 2007, 05:10:36 PM
Celticblockhead-

I believe BrodyFosse meant that it gets all over everything in the removal process, not during the show. If you've ever seen videos or pictures of the dressing room each Elphaba uses, the shower is spotted all over with green marks. It may well be that it doesn't come off during the show, but when it is being removed I'm sure it can be quite a mess...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You