News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for NameGreg

NameGreg Profile Photo
Member Name: NameGreg
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Favorite Sondheim one-liners?
 Dec 13 2021, 02:06:53 AM

“The closest I ever gave”

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
 Dec 11 2021, 03:30:50 PM

Absolutely loved it. Kushner’s script and Spielberg’s direction are absolutely towering achievements. Everything in this worked. Zegler, Alavarez, and Moreno deserve nominations and DeBose and Faist deserve wins. Elgort is also excellent, I feel like the controversy surrounding him has caused people to mute themselves when they liked his work. Everyone single cast member is stellar, there’s too many smaller roles to properly single them out. Hopefully the great word of mouth

Nov 8 2021, 06:21:58 PM

I like what I’m seeing from the advertising, but I hope they unveil a decent amount of one of the numbers before release.

Nov 7 2021, 01:28:54 PM

Makes sense that the overture is absent. You can’t get away with such a long piece of music over the credits with nothing actually happening nowadays. And you can’t really put it over opening action since that makes the prologue redundant. I’m sure it’ll be on the album though.

Oct 14 2021, 02:42:17 PM

Well Sondheim's on record as as saying "Krup you" was ultimately a better line than what he originally planned so I doubt that would be changed.

Oct 9 2021, 01:27:41 PM
Kushner makes long works but they never feel slow or boring to me, so I’m all good if this is long.
 Sep 24 2021, 10:24:29 PM

Musical Master said: "SpiritualGangster said: "Musical Master said:
"I'm glad that from the looks of things, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner has restored these two songs back to where they were before."

Are you sure? I don't see any evidence of this to be true."

Many articles have said that this version is going to be a lot closer to the original stage version than the 1961 film. Yes, thinking that it's go

Sep 18 2021, 06:48:34 PM
I think the cast looks great, but I’ll agree at least when it comes to Rachel Zegler some of the praise is a bit ridiculous. I saw somebody claim it’ll be a crime if she’s not nominated for an Oscar without even seeing her full work. I think a lot of young theatre kids are clinging to somebody in their age range getting such a big break. Also the fact that she’s a got a great voice, that’s pretty much all it takes for a lot of millennial theatre fans to worship someone regardless of their actual
 Sep 18 2021, 01:03:55 AM
I mean I can see based on the picture that moment being “Cool”, though given that number is Riff calming down the Jets - while also hypocritically dancing in a pretty deranged fashion himself - I don’t think it truly fits with the image since it looks to be Riff himself needing to be calmed. And I find it doubtful they’d do the number with Riff around and not have him so the solo, or that they’d give Tony more to sing when he already had enough on that front.
 Sep 17 2021, 10:59:13 PM
I really struggle to think of what moment in the show that should could be, but I really doubt that they’d include dialogue between the sections of the quintet, I feel like that would really mess up the song’s exhilarating pace. Also, the cold, angry look that Tony gives there is too at odds with how he is during the quintet. There he’s extremely hopeful and joyous believing he’ll be able to stop the violence with his love.

I’d previously been wondering what they’ll do with the overture

Sep 17 2021, 05:44:47 PM

Yes and Doc is still technically a character here as Valentina is supposed to be his widow. Which I think was a very clever way of including her in this role.

I’m certain it’s not gonna happen, but I would absolutely adore it if they had Valentina keep a picture of her and Doc and it’s actually Rita and George Chakiris.

Sep 16 2021, 06:00:27 PM
So has anybody noticed anything in the trailer that looked like “Gee, Officer Krupke” or “Cool”? I’m very interested to see how they handle those two. It’s likely they go with the stage version giving they’re trying to be closer to that one than the film, but I’m hoping it’s the movie version which I like more.
 Sep 15 2021, 07:16:06 PM

Roscoe said: "Interesting that the Jets get such short shrift in the trailer. Am I the only one getting a bit of a gay vibe off of Riff (or at least the character I'm assuming is Riff)?"

I think Riff’s long been interpreted as being gay given his attachment towards Tony, not to mention the original Shakespeare role itself has often been interpreted that way.

I seen to recall hearing that the 2000s revival had the two actors play their scenes like Ton

Sep 15 2021, 11:59:25 AM
Loved that trailer. And I disagree that people won’t know this is a musical. The very beginning of the trailer has singing, which occurs throughout, as does the dancing.
 Sep 8 2021, 01:19:16 PM

Globefan said: "Spielberg's the reason PG-13 even exists"

Though Raiders of the Lost Ark did come dangerously close to getting an R.

Aug 2 2021, 08:00:51 PM
Given how famous that image is, I think they’ll have it recreated, but like the movie poster, they’ll be several other things happening on the poster to make it clear it’s not just a love story.
 Jul 30 2021, 02:32:44 PM
I’m also guessing Alvarez will be a standout, particularly since he gets to perform America. But my money is one DeBose getting the most praise of the ensemble.
 Jul 30 2021, 01:16:56 PM

Globefan said: "Do you think Ariana DeBose will steal the show?"

Anita often does, though based purely on the trailer I was most drawn to Faist.

Jul 27 2021, 10:24:34 PM
Sadly it’s almost exactly the same as the first teaser, but I’ll take whatever new stuff I can get. Hopefully before too long we get a full blown long trailer.
 Jun 20 2021, 10:40:23 PM
I’ll actually defend Hook. It’s certainly flawed, but I think it works enough. For me, The Lost World is his low point, it really feels like it’s lacking his magic, and I think that has to do with the man himself not feeling the film even when he worked on it.

Part of what really excites me for this is how enthusiastic he seems about it. It appears to have truly touched his childlike sense of wonder, which I believe has inspired some of his best works.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You