News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BroadwayBreakdown

BroadwayBreakdown Profile Photo
Member Name: BroadwayBreakdown
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
 Dec 8 2021, 07:29:20 AM

Miles2Go2 said: "I was surprised to see when I checked Metacritictonight that WSS made nearly none of the professional film critics’ Top 10 Films of 2021 lists. (I only see it on The New York Times A. O. Scott’s list). Maybe that’s due to it being screened for film critics relatively late and in order to have their lists ready to go to print, most critics already had to have their lists complete prior to attending their screenings? Of course, as more lists are published, they’ll be added to the site so we might see if pop up more often on lists.

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/film-critics-pick-10-best-movies-of-2021?ref=hp
"

Most of these critics' reviews for WSS came out last week and their top 10's came out a few days later. They had the chance to include it. If they didn't, it's not due to a lack of love for the movie, their reviews showed that they cared for it a lot. Many critics now use their top 10 lists as an opportunity to give more attention to a film they loved that hasn't gotten as much public notice (Red Rocket, CODA, The Lost Daughter, even Oscar frontrunners like Licorice Pizza and Power of the Dog have not been massively seen). Many, as well, make an effort not to include too many prestige "Oscar hopefuls" and make room for at least one unconventional choice (Barb and Star, Cruella). WSS is an Oscar hopeful with mass appeal and lots of public attention, so it could very well have been an 11th or 12th choice for many critics, and just didn't quite make it to the final 10. 

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
 Dec 6 2021, 12:31:18 PM

I went to the screening last Monday and overall really enjoyed it! The reviews that name Elgort as a weak link surprise me because a) I thought he was very charming, his scenes with Zegler were a highlight and b) I thought there were other issues to the movie. I wasn't a fan of Peck's choreography in CAROUSEL (Kenneth MacMillan stan here), and while I thought his work here was much better, it still didn't hit the high notes that I had hoped it would. The dancing itself is very imp

FOLLIES 50th Anniversary Reunion
 Apr 4 2021, 09:06:48 AM
I've been doing a series on my podcast going through all of Sondheim's theatrical works and this week happened to be FOLLIES! I didn't plan for it to line up with the week of its anniversary, just a happy coincidence :) If anyone has any interest, we cover a lot-not EVERYTHING, but a lot! Happy 50th!! (Apologies, having trouble making either link clickable :-/ )

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/follies-w-dad/id1260430031?i=1000515270240

https://open.spotify.com/episode/588Gzm0Q9NHiCzpetBUZnS?si=7WySQs1rQnaU1xhFQVgyFA

R+H's Cinderella starring Brandy and Whitney Houston coming to Disney+ in Europe; US soon?
 Feb 28 2021, 10:53:33 PM

Hey All!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but for anyone who’s interested I just did an interview with CINDERELLA’s music director Paul Bogaev and he talks about the process of adapting the score for the ‘97 movie--including a great story about Whitney Houston recording “There Is Music in You”! Paul’s also done tons of Broadway (AIDA, CHESS, SUNSET BOULEVARD), other TV movies (ANNIE) and film (CHICAGO, NINE, DREAMGIRLS) and has some wonderful insight on vocal performance and music adaptation, as well as some fun facts on his projects (like Laurie Beechman getting close to playing Florence in CHESS). Take a listen if you have the time! Fair warning: there’s some explicit language...Paul and I both have a fondness for cursing :)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/broadway-breakdown/id1260430031#episodeGuid=tag%3Asoundcloud%2C2010%3Atracks%2F995285593

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You