News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SpiritualGangster

SpiritualGangster Profile Photo
Member Name: SpiritualGangster
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
 Jan 9 2022, 05:48:31 PM

Kad said: "Looking up photos of the demolition of San Juan Hill, it looks like the film's depiction is rooted in truth, albeit exaggerated for effect.

Via Gothamist

Manhattan's Long Gone San Juan Hill
"

Thanks for sharing those Kad. I have friends and family who live right behind the Center in the Amsterdam Houses who lived through this. Those houses as well as the Phipps Houses on W 63rd and give or take a few other buildings remained while they saw everything else around them come down. 

Nina Simone musical to open at New World Stages in February
 Dec 18 2021, 09:48:34 AM

nina simone is one of my idols. her music has had a huge impact on my life. i would love to see this. hoping it doesn't get too scary covid-wise and prevent that from happening. 

Dec 16 2021, 01:18:28 PM

I went again last night to see this and sat in a nearly empty house. It is really saddening to see the almost complete disinterest of the general public to see this because it really is one of the best films of the year. 

It has a 45 day window in theaters but I fear that if lackluster business continues it will be pulled sooner than that. 

Dec 11 2021, 09:28:57 PM

I found this wonderful video on YouTube where Steven Spielberg reveals that Russ Tamblyn, Richard Beymer and Chita Rivera all visited the set while they were filming. When Rita Moreno saw Richard Beymer on the set she ran over and threw her arms around him and they both started crying. Spielberg filmed it on his iPhone. What a beautiful story.....

Dec 11 2021, 08:22:50 PM

The twitter trolls have their knives out and are already proclaiming WSS a bomb. It makes me sick.

Dec 11 2021, 07:43:29 PM

I also liked that Tony actually fought in the rumble and that he realized that he almost does to Bernardo what he did to the Egyptian King gang member that got him into jail in the first place and stops short of it.

Also the look on Bernardo’s face when he realizes what he has just done to Riff - that look of utter fear and “what have I done?” 

Chilling!

Dec 11 2021, 06:42:06 PM

Scarywarhol said: "While those numbers are poor, it is not unlikely that this will still come out with a respectable result. I wonder if a platformed release plan might have been wiser, but most successful musicals in recent years have opened very small and held tight."

Sadly COVID infections are on the rise. Wicked, Freestyle Love Supreme, Little Shop have all had to cancel performances because of it.

Not everyone is 100% comfortable going out to public venue

Dec 11 2021, 04:26:27 PM

Count me in as someone who really thought Elgort gave a fantastic performance in this. His "Something's Coming" was charming, his "Cool" truly was "Cool", his "Maria" - - - heartwarming and romantic. 

IMO he was not a weak link in this. 

He deserves to be recognized for what he brought to this character. His Tony was tough, but tender and charming...you could see why "Maria" would fall head over heels in love with t

Dec 7 2021, 11:35:49 PM

KevinKlawitter said: "Steven Spielberg with Rachel Zegler and Carol Lawrence (the original Broadway Maria) at the LA premiere."

This choked me up…the original Maria with the present Maria and the esteemed director of it all…BEAUTIFUL!!!

Dec 7 2021, 01:33:25 PM

At my screening the numbers that received the most applause were: “Quintet” and “Somewhere”

Dec 7 2021, 01:29:48 PM

Musical Master said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "SpiritualGangster said: "Musical Master said: "The fact that the End Credits Suite included a portion of the "Somewhere Ballet" took me by surprise that I was honestly getting the chills."

The inclusion of the “Somewhere Ballet” in the End Credits suite was such a pleasant surprise!
"

Track 10 “Transition to Scherzo, Sherzo” is the full &ldq

Dec 4 2021, 12:39:19 PM

The8re phan said: "SpiritualGangster said: "Rachel Zegler's "I Feel Pretty" is one if not the greatest, purest interpretations that I have ever heard of this song. She communicates all of the character's feelings and emotions through that beautiful voice of hers. She has the voice of an angel. She was born for this role. I love her gutsy take on the line "Miss America can just resign!" - so flirty and fun.

She's a winner.
"

Dec 4 2021, 10:45:22 AM

Rachel Zegler's "I Feel Pretty" is one if not the greatest, purest interpretations that I have ever heard of this song. She communicates all of the character's feelings and emotions through that beautiful voice of hers. She has the voice of an angel. She was born for this role. I love her gutsy take on the line "Miss America can just resign!" - so flirty and fun. 

She's a winner.

Dec 3 2021, 08:26:13 AM

CindersGolightly said: "Ariana's delivery of A Boy Like That gave me full body chills. No way she's not walking away with that Oscar."

I co-sign this! She attacked that song! 

Dec 3 2021, 08:25:00 AM

Musical Master said: "The fact that the End Credits Suite included a portion of the "Somewhere Ballet" took me by surprise that I was honestly getting the chills."

The inclusion of the “Somewhere Ballet” in the End Credits suite was such a pleasant surprise! 

Dec 3 2021, 02:21:10 AM

OMG That Mambo! The Quintet! America! and the End Credits Suite are amazing!!

Oh and I Feel Pretty - Rachel Ziegler’s voice is so beautiful! 

Dec 2 2021, 08:26:59 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "SpiritualGangster said: "I was reading through the digital press kit last night and was pleasantly surprised that Peter Gennaro received credit for his contribution to the original choreography. He was never credited for this in the original production or the film.”

If you look back at ALL the original credits and indeed Peter Gennaro was ALWAYS credited as co-choreographer. That he wasn’t singled out and mentioned regarding h

Dec 2 2021, 07:26:06 AM

I was reading through the digital press kit last night and was pleasantly surprised that Peter Gennaro received credit for his contribution to the original choreography. He was never credited for this in the original production or the film. 

Dec 1 2021, 09:04:32 PM

This film has received such strong and positive word of mouth I don’t have a doubt it will get Oscar nominations. How many and in which categories and most importantly if it will win any is really anybody’s guess

Dec 1 2021, 11:24:58 AM

CarlosAlberto said: "Thank you Jason C3 for sharing that article.

The criticism of Natalie Wood's casting in this film is always questioned. As per the article: "Not to mention that the 1961 movie featured the white actress Natalie Wood playing the Latina role of Maria."

I get it under the context of today, but back then there weren't many Latina actresses that could carry a movie, and Natalie was a name that guaranteed box office that

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You