News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LucasIvy

Member Name: LucasIvy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Paradise Square - COVID
 Apr 12 2022, 08:50:53 AM

Utilizing basic broadway mathematics, coupled with mixed reviews,  a prolonged shut down after opening resulting lost revenue and a cessation of any positive word of mouth, this show will be forced to shut down in the next 21 days. 

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 4 2022, 10:22:01 PM

THANKS HOGANS! I DO LOVE TRAIPSING! I have no obsession with the show, I just think it stinks. And thanks for the NY Post demographic data.  I did not realize you were a print aficionado! When you have a minute can you fill me in on Field and Stream readers, do they buy tickets?

HogansHero said: "LucasIvy said: "Thanks Hogan! your point , The New York Post has now real power or influence. Right! Now, lets bury our heads in the sand. Johnny's points were what the average tourist will come away with after buying a discounted ticket after not getting into Funny Girl or Mr. Saturday Night."

Your post is hard to decipher. Did you mean "The New York Post has NO power or influence"? [in which case I guess you were trying to be sarcastic]

Or did you actually mean "The New York Post NOW HAS real power or influence"? [in which case I guess you were being serious]

That of course betrays a lack of understanding of Venn Diagrams on your part. As I said, lots of people read the Post, but they read it selectively. And lots of people who read the Post never ever go to the theatre. And hardly any "tourists who buy discounted tickets" read the Post. These are not susceptible to "head in the sand" guessing; they are based on data . We know who reads what in 2022.

And why wouldn't a tourist get into the 2 shows you mention? Best to keep up if you are going to post, lest someone decide you are naive and unaware.

You do not need to explain your strange obsession with this show. You are free to like and dislike the show, Garth, or whatever you choose. I guarantee you I have more grievances with Garth than you do. I was very vocal about that long before you traipsed in and will likely be after your oxygen evaporates. Enjoy.
"

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 4 2022, 08:23:57 PM

Thanks Hogan! your point , The New York Post has now real power or influence. Right! Now, lets bury our heads in the sand. Johnny's points were what the average tourist will come away with after buying a discounted ticket after not getting into Funny Girl or Mr. Saturday Night. 

HogansHero said: "LucasIvy said: "and behold one of the most gutsiest reviews:

https://nypost.com/2022/04/04/paradise-square-on-broadway-loud-depressing-90s-retread/

and before everyone says , theatregoers don't read The Post, think again
"

Your description of this analytically inert and intellectually vapid review as "gutsy" is the best proof we have seen so far that you and your one-track mind are running out of oxygen.

Oh, and while it is true that theatregoers read parts of the Post (I depend on the sports coverage), they don't read the theatre page. (And that's not open to debate.) Think again lol. (PS, it's 2022, the data is easy to come by.)
"

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 4 2022, 06:55:19 PM

and behold one of the most gutsiest reviews: 

https://nypost.com/2022/04/04/paradise-square-on-broadway-loud-depressing-90s-retread/ 

and before everyone says , theatregoers don't read The Post, think again

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 4 2022, 04:46:10 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "KJisgroovy said: "I'm confused as to why the ensemble isn't all over morning television dancing. Joaquina and the dancing are the best they've got and I think they'd sell a lot of tickets."

Because the show had less than 3 weeks of previews, there was a COVID outbreak in the company, and every morning & late-night show gets pitches from every Broadway show and they pick and choose which shows they would

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 4 2022, 12:59:47 PM

Sutton Ross said: "Our newest Mayor is NOT great but I'm glad he was there supporting."

The lead investor and former Senator asked to him to attend. You know the old saying; It's an honour and obligation. 

Paradise Square lottery/rush
 Apr 4 2022, 12:56:25 PM

still loads of tickets on telecharge, I would look at rush seat prices. No need to pay full price as it appears that  the reviews have not created any ticket buying frenzy 

Apr 4 2022, 12:56:25 PM

still loads of tickets on telecharge, I would look at rush seat prices. No need to pay full price as it appears that  the reviews have not created any ticket buying frenzy

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 4 2022, 09:19:28 AM

Fade Up: Drabinsky Hotel Room. Midnight

The producer frantically working the phones to convince his investors they have a huge hit.

DRABINSKY

" I tell you this is bigger and more important than anything on Broadway this season. People are talking Pulitzer! We nee

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 3 2022, 09:05:58 PM

READ THE REVIEWS.This show is all done. There is no hope for a Best Musical Tony and this will see no bump in the box office. regardless, they will buy a double page designed overnight and shipped by Tuesday, goodbye another 110k

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 3 2022, 07:29:48 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "Things could get reeeeeeeally interesting these next few hours... will we be reading actual reviews tonight, or will they just be multi-paragraph anti-Drab*nsky rants?

the reviews will be exactly what the show deserves. If bad, Drabinsky will claim it's about him. If they are raves, he will glory grab. Either way, no demand, no word of mouth, no future

"

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 3 2022, 05:13:57 PM

JBroadway said: "I predict they won't have any trouble finding workable pull-quotes. Seems like even many of the dissenters agree that there are aspects of the show that work - the critics will likely praise those aspects, and the pull-quotes will pull themselves."

You can pull all day long, ticket buyers will decide this show's fate , not a publicist doing a deep dive for superlatives

PARADISE SQUARE reviews
 Apr 3 2022, 04:24:41 PM

So well said Dan6. The most important thing is to ensure that cast and crew keep working. This not about deep pocketed producers who will move on regardless of the outcome. The issue will be if the outcome is mixed reviews. Mixed reviews mean you have to spend a million bucks or more stimulating demand and twisting mixed reviews to appear positive. Not an easy task and does not work unless you have a show that fans already love. 

PARADISE SQUARE - Broadway Previews
 Apr 3 2022, 02:16:45 PM

I thought that Richard Zoglin's piece in the NYT did a good job framing the stakes at play for Drabinsky, but for a pedigree media outlet it failed at truly investigating his depth of his control of the show, the issues with his creative team and the revolving door of departures. Not to mention, his accepting Drabinsky at his word about marketing. Please! This is a man who spent millions on TV, print and billboards....and now he believes in word of mouth? That is like booking the best res

SHOWSTOPPER: THE THEATRICAL LIFE OF GARTH DRABINKSY
 Mar 30 2022, 09:53:37 AM

Alex Kulak2 said: "A couple things:

1. So what if it premiered at TIFF? So didDear Evan Hansen.Bad movies are allowed to play at film festivals.

2. Wouldn't the Canadian version of Netflix also be Netflix?

3. I don't think my response is uninformed, it's a response on my experience watching the beginning of this film. Does the sound mixing resolve itself and the commentary go a lot deeper right after the point that I shut the movi

Mar 30 2022, 08:45:35 AM

yikes! Last week's gross was $346,000, an unsustainable gross to keep this running.

SHOWSTOPPER: THE THEATRICAL LIFE OF GARTH DRABINKSY
 Mar 30 2022, 08:38:08 AM

Alex Kulak2 said: "15 minutes in, and the big thing sticking out to me is how terrible the sound mixing is. Half the time, the music is so loud that you can't hear what the narration is saying.

Otherwise, it's at about the level of quality of a documentary you'd see on the History Channel. No more insight into Drabinsky's life than you could get from reading his Wikipedia page.

What's weird is that they have clips of an interview with Elaine

Mar 24 2022, 01:39:40 PM

interesting note from industry Broadway Briefing this morning: 

"Paradise Square" grossed $355,401 across its first eight preview performances, albeit with a capacity of 97%, suggesting ticket giveaways and discounting. …"

Mar 23 2022, 10:09:47 AM

This show will certainly be gambling on the reviews (Tony noms will not help). In a factual back of the envelope look at the weekly gross as reported by Variety and Deadline, the show is losing approximately $250k per week. That is an unsustainable gross should the box office not explode on unanimous positive reviews and word of mouth.  https://deadline.com/2022/03/broadway-box-office-26-million-music-man-march-20-grosses-report-1234984341/

Mar 22 2022, 09:28:08 PM

theaterdude2 said: "I saw the OBC of Dreamgirls the week after the Tony Awards, and there was a standing ovation BEFORE Jennifer even started the song, so I'm not sure what you're referring to."

this is ain't no dreamgirls for a country mile. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You