News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for dyemery

Member Name: dyemery
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
 Apr 16 2024, 11:50:03 AM

hearthemsing22 said: "dyemery said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "This and the possibility of Tom Hollands R+J transferring will mean two competing productions in the same season. Has that ever happened before?"

I've heard that's not happening anymore, so it will just be this production
"

It’s still happening this season.
"

At this point, I jus

Kit Connor and Rachel Zegler to star in ROMEO & JULIET on Broadway?
 Apr 16 2024, 11:25:13 AM

EDSOSLO858 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "This and the possibility of Tom Hollands R+J transferring will mean two competing productions in the same season. Has that ever happened before?"

I've heard that's not happening anymore, so it will just be this production
"

It’s still happening this season.
"

At this point, I just wanna see a third production in talks right now

Cabaret stunt casting
 Apr 12 2024, 11:12:05 AM

DramaTeach said: "Troye Sivan as Emcee."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Not a bad pick there.

Cabaret stunt casting
 Apr 12 2024, 11:10:25 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Not a bad pick there.

Denzel Washington to return to Broadway in OTHELLO?
 Mar 8 2024, 10:45:45 AM

That's would I'd like to know with Gyllenhaal in particular.

First Look - Bradley Cooper as Leonard Bernstein
 Oct 25 2023, 02:25:44 PM

Looks pretty good.

The only gripe I have so far is not having a Latina actress play Felicia Montealegre (especially with Mulligan clearly putting on an accent). Something about it here just feels…wrong.

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 May 5 2023, 08:49:31 PM

Very well.

I guess that explains why Jon M. Chu is reportedly working on a new adaptation of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for Amazon Studios (owned by MGM, who currently hold the rights to the 1939 Wizard of Oz featuring the red ruby slippers).

Ariana Debose to Host 2023 Tony Awards
 Apr 12 2023, 11:50:09 AM

And... I will now 100% check it out for good and all!

COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
 Apr 1 2023, 11:21:04 PM

teddy1996 said: "dan laustsen who has done the cinematography for the shape of water, nightmare alley, and john wick 2,3, and 4 will be doing the cinematography for this film. this will be the first time he has done a musical project. the visuals are gonna be absolutely insane."

He is quickly becoming one of my favorite cinematographers of the last few years.

Apr 1 2023, 11:20:19 PM

He is quickly becoming one of my favorite cinematographers of the last few years.

Mar 24 2023, 08:44:51 PM

Globefan said: "teddy1996 said: "i find it interesting that warner bros has two high profile musical films coming out at the same time in wonka and the color purple. and the new aquaman movie will be out around the same time too. they should move at least one of the films for a thanksgiving release"

Color Purple doesn't feel so Christmassy
"

Oscar Season is probably why it's coming out around Christmastime.

Oct 31 2022, 08:52:48 AM

I'm wondering if that'll change here seeing as how the screenwriter of this new adaptation, Marcus Gardley, is queer. It would be weird having hired someone like him only to just continually leave that subplot out into the dust like the other adaptations of the book (especially nowadays).

Trailer for Netflix's MATILDA musical, starring Emma Thompson as Miss Trunchbull
 Jun 15 2022, 03:42:28 PM

Or Hannah Waddingham from Ted Lasso and Game of Thrones.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mrpqPTnkYcM/YFoxESYzL6I/AAAAAAAAX5Q/4FknJiXqZ5MMbGa2j9ChPFgzHEY3T5bhQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1920/ExFk71_XMAohZmM.jpg

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
 Jun 2 2022, 12:22:15 AM

Well, I can say that Ansel Elgort definitely didn't feel like a rough and tough ex convict. He's tall enough to fend for himself...so what?

Again, Ansel is good casting on paper, but he didn't feel believable as either an ex convict or a romantic lead. Looks wise, he's basically every Tony we've seen (a non-threatening and good looking white guy), even with the expanded background.

Even if Gaten didn't pull those aspects off, I still feel like he&

Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread
 Jun 1 2022, 10:43:01 PM

I'm I the only one who wished Gaten Matarazzo played Tony instead of Ansel Elgort? WWS21 was one of my favorite flicks of last year and Elgort was the most glaring thing holding the movie back from being almost absolutely perfect.

Even if Tony was and never will be a standout in any version of the musical, you at least need an actor who radiates chemistry with Maria that makes you feel like he loves her as much as she love him. I haven't seen the original 1961 film in it's entirety, but from the clips I've seen, I can say I definitely feel the chemistry between the two WAY more than the remake.

It's honestly a similar problem I had with Spielberg's last film, Ready Player One, where the lead was the weakest link and dragged the movie down wholesale. They are talented young male actors who are directed to be the most bland people imaginable that people will relate to because they are SO...DAMN...PURTY. Unlike Ready Player One, Tony is a better written character that's not an obvious scene stealer (especially in comparison to Anita and Riff), but you can see someone making something of it. Instead, Spielberg went with Elgort due to meeting him earlier and, on paper, seeming like a good enough choice for Tony. He's a good actor, singer and dancer. However, even if you aren't going to steal the show, there's gotta be something more in terms of the performance and singing to match with the quality that the rest of the film is going for (and succeeding). Plus, you have to feel the young love blooming between the two of them to make you understand them even if you don't agree with it. I feel like Albert Broccoli with Sam Neill when he auditioned to play James Bond in The Living Daylights, where everyone else around him were impressed and could imagine on paper why he'd be a perfect fit for the character, except for Albert (who he didn't feel was right for the part despite other's opinions).

So, in my opinion, I believe Gaten would've been a better choice for the role. He's someone you wouldn't conventionally expect to play Tony but has the acting/vocal range to pull it off. You can believe he's a messy street kid who has a genuine heart that he wears on his sleeves and is unapologetic about it. And with someone like Spielberg at the helm and Rachel Zegler as his romantic lead, they all could've made the romance more believable and had the character stand out more in a way that would've put him on par with his talented co-stars.

That's why I think Gaten should've been Tony over Ansel and would've made an almost flawless film even better. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You