News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for J. Wilkes Booth

Member Name: J. Wilkes Booth
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
 Mar 25 2006, 03:42:25 AM
Orangeskittles,

Just sent you a pm, but I'll do this publicly, as well...I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way. Please accept my apologies.

Uncageg...

Yeah, I agree...The Visitors was ABBA's best album. I think if they could have hung in there a bit longer, it also would have been their biggest hit. *heavy sigh*

Sanda...

As I said to someone earlier, it is gratifying and exciting to see that ABBA fans and non-fans alike are looking forward to thi

re: The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
 Mar 24 2006, 06:13:17 AM
Wow, did I ever open a Pandora's box!!! Robbie J, I totally didn't mean it to be a racial slur by saying that I want TCP to end asap. I loved the movie and the book, but haven't yet found the chance to see the musical.

I am a theatre fan, but don't get to see as many plays/musicals, what have you, as I'd like. I am primarily an ABBA fan, though, and when a musical such as "Kristina fran Duvemala" can transcend language barriers by the
sheer emotion in the performers (Helen Sjöholm and Åsa Bergh, just to mention two) voices, I get hooked. The songs are incredible, and I've read are viewed as similar to the epic musicals of the 80's in style. Just a suggestion to anyone interested...get ahold of the "Kristina fran Duvemala"
highlights cd from the American Swedish Institute ( http://www.americanswedishinst.org ), listen to "Hemma" (Home), "Stanna" (Stay) and "Du Maste Finnas" (You Must Exist). These songs, along with many others in the 4-hour musical, are emotionally charged and incredibly
performed. "Du Maste Finnas", for example, is sung by Kristina (Helen Sjoholm), who has just been told by her doctor that she can no longer have relations with her husband, because if she gets pregnant with their eighth
child, she will die. She's just miscarried the seventh child. This devout Christian woman stands alone in a field in Minnesota, thousands of miles away from home and family, and questions God's existence, asking "Him", "How
can You abandon me?". She comes to the conclusion that "You Must Exist"..."Du Maste Finnas".

Also, I don't think it is unprecedented for a musical to open first off Broadway. Didn't TCP open in Atlanta first? What I've heard about "Kristina" is that it will initially have a 3-week run in Minneapolis, then go to Broadway. This makes sense, as quite a few Swedish emigrants settled in Minnesota in the 19th and 20th centuries, and there is a sizeable Swedish/Scandinavian community still there. It could just as easily have opened in Chicago, though, as Chicago was once referred to as the third largest Swedish city.

I'm not the only one that is eager to see this onstage. This past Saturday night in Minneapolis, at the Bloomington Sheraton, between 600 and 700 of us heard Helen, the original Kristina, perform "Home/Hemma", which she will not have the chance to perform in the English language musical. Most of us that heard wept. I'm getting goosebumps as I type this.

Orangeskittles, how many ABBA songs have you heard? Have you heard their last album, "The Visitors" (the title track, written before the end of the Cold War, was written about Russian dissidents hiding from the KGB.)? Moreover, how many songs from "Chess" (both the 1986 and 1988 versions) or "Kristina från Duvemåla" have you heard? No, Britney doesn't qualify for Mensa, but yes, Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson do qualify for "musical genius" status. Ever seen the part of a U2 concert where Bono invites B&B up on stage, sings "Dancing Queen" with them, and bows to them both at the end, saying "We're not worthy!" I have. This group has inspired musicians and singers worldwide. The musical "Mamma Mia" and it's worldwide impact have shown that yes, there are a lot of people that love the music...even though ABBA broke up in 1982. Yeah, they are musical geniuses. Don't mean to provoke a fight, but listen to the above before you write these composers off.

Aces, I love "Chess" as much (or more) than you seem to. This is another incredible musical that flopped in the US, but is still playing after 20 years in the UK, and is being performed by small theatre companies around the US -- it will be performed in Cincinnati at the Aronoff Theatre by a local group. All that said, it is good work, but KfD is the best to date...no exaggeration.

Finally, CurtainPulldowner, thanks for the advice on the tux...I want to wear one, and yeah, it will make it an unforgettable night...

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to become an investor in a musical, "Kristina" in particular?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Scott

The Color Purple's Longevity: Make Way for Kristina!!
 Mar 23 2006, 01:35:21 PM
Okej...

Here I am again, an ABBA fan, looking for info. I've just found out from a fairly reliable source that "Kristina" will move into the same theatre "The Color Purple" is now playing in...once they vacate. My question is this...does anyone have any predictions for its' longevity? Now, I just took a look at the weekly grosses, and read that they're sold out almost every night, and I am discouraged. I want to see "Kristina" very badly, as do a lot of other fans worldwide.

A

re: Kristina Premiere in Fall 2006
 Aug 8 2005, 08:54:24 AM
Jacco...

Didn't mean to leave you out in the cold there, brother!! Gee, I'm rude... If thou preferest, I shall remove my helm so that thou canst glimpse my visage... Yeah, I don't make sense even speakin' Shakespeare, do I? If any of you want to write me, my email addy is above...

Sweedboy...love your nickname. Now, as for the incomparable, incredible Ms. Helen coming to star in Kristina, it will be tragic if she doesn't, but...the other night on SVT (Swedish TV), Benny Anderss

re: Julie Andrews is Amazing
 Aug 8 2005, 08:40:10 AM
It is so good to see people talking about MY Julie. Let's see, between the ages of 5 and 10, I saw The Sound of Music between 30 and 40 times...all the way through. The Rodgers and Hammersteinian Society of Musical Appreciation has since banned me from ever watching it again...something about letting others have a turn. *grumble* Then, there was the devastation when I got my autographed postcard from Maria von Trapp...she didn't look at all like she did in the movie!!! I wish I still had that...
 Aug 8 2005, 06:57:15 AM
Moi,

I don't know a lot of Swedish...I am just learning because of my love of Kristina...we will be wed...om hennes vill ha mej (if she will have me(?). So, what words are weird in my uh, name...? What I mean to say is Sir Scott Fältskog Lyngstad Ulvaeus Andersson Sjöholm, Lovechild of all four ABBA members and Helen Sjöholm and Lord of the Smurfs. Something tells me that is not what I am saying... Email me, Moi...at sirsmurfalotster@gmail.com ... spare me the public humiliation!!! (lol

Aug 8 2005, 06:10:13 AM
Moi...

Tack for the correction. I agree that Helen is the only Kristina, Anders is the only Karl Oskar, Peter is the only Robert, and do not forget Aså Bergh...she is the only Ulrika. What a voice she has...

If you would like to, I would like us to email back and forth. I need a source in Sweden!!! I tried to PM you, but it doesn't work well on this board for some reason...? Maybe it's because I'm on an iMac...

Anyway...my email address is sirsmurfalotster@gmail.com

Aug 8 2005, 05:29:30 AM
Oh...Jacco, you seemed confused as to why it would open first on Broadway. In the past month or so, I've heard several things...opening in Minnesota, where many Swedes emigrated, then opening on Broadway, which makes sense, but by all rights, should open in Chicago, which was once called the third largest Swedish city... So, who knows? I'm guessing that someone does, they just aren't quite ready to share...yet.

JWB

Aug 8 2005, 05:21:48 AM
Moi and Jacco...

She is coming, I assure you. I know that Björn has talked to Expressen (a Swedish tabloid) several times very recently regarding the musical, and Benny was on SVT the other night during Allsång (a 6-week music festival in Stockholm, please correct me if I am wrong, Moi!!), standing right next to the incomparable Helen Sjöholm...the ONLY Kristina. Oh, he was saying that the process is slower than they had hoped, that it might not open until Winter 2007. Hej, Moi, just gi

Kristina Premiere in Fall 2006
 Aug 2 2005, 08:59:53 PM
Actors, Actresses, fellow musical fans,

Lend me your ears, please!!! How far ahead can one find out where a premiere will be, and how far ahead can one purchase tickets for said premiere? Benny Andersson, co-composer of the "Kristina" score, was on Swedish SVT tonight, and was talking about the premiere...I just don't want to miss out on this...

JWB

re: The Players Club
 Aug 2 2005, 08:56:20 PM
Thank you, Susan... I'll go check that out tonight...

JWB

Aug 2 2005, 12:42:03 PM
Hej, apdarcey...

a) Edwin Booth was a famous actor of the mid-nineteenth century and brother to Lincoln's assassin, John Wilkes Booth, who was also an accomplished actor. Edwin was also the founder of The Players Club.

b) Me, obsessed with "Kristina från Duvelmåla"? Absolutely. Get the cd set and tell me how long you can go without hearing it... Oh, and I'm not the only one... Hope to see you at the premiere!!!

JWB

Aug 2 2005, 11:27:27 AM
Hej, NCGuy...

Well, for one, JWB is more well-known. I don't consider him to be a hero, but I do admire his passion.

"Sic Semper Tyrranis!!" (JWB shouted this, the motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia, as he jumped to the stage of Ford's Theatre)

JWB

re: Currently Listening to?
 Aug 2 2005, 10:16:19 AM
Yesterday, it was "Kristina från Duvelmåla" and "RENT"...today, I'm listening to "En enda gång", sung by Kikki Danielsson, formerly of Chips (yeah, they're Swedish, too...)

JWB

re: Lennon's Fate?
 Aug 2 2005, 10:11:35 AM
I don't know anything about this musical, but I am assuming it came out post-Mamma Mia. I find it very amusing that so many have followed in ABBA's footsteps. Yeah, followed ABBA!!

You know, the group that you openly loved to hate but secretly loved... The group that you almost have to be GLBT to love... The group that it's almost a stigma to admit that you love...even in our modern, politically-correct, diverse, "open" society...

Looks like ABBA and ABBA fans are getting the last laugh. Let's see...I've lost track of just how many cities and countries in which Mamma Mia is playing... Broadway, Las Vegas, oh, and the American touring cast; Ottawa, Canada; Stockholm, Sweden; Germany; UK; Australia... (go to http://www.mamma-mia.com for a complete list) Oh, and psst...don't know if the rumours are true, but I've heard that it might overtake the beloved "Phantom of the Opera" in ticket sales...

Oh, and if you haven't guessed... I LOVE ABBA...(lol, everyone!! Keep smiling...oh, and listen to "Dancing Queen" at least once today...blast it so everyone knows that you, too, love and respect this great group...)

JWB

Aug 2 2005, 09:57:38 AM
Must try to keep this near the top...

JWB

Lauren Mufson
 Aug 2 2005, 09:56:03 AM
I love this lady...I've only seen her in one show: "Mamma Mia" 14 April 2005 in South Bend, Indiana (which, incidentally, is not in the south of Indiana, nor is it anywhere near a bend...why? Then again, why does the pronunciation of "kansas" change so dramatically when the prefix "ar" is added?)

So, has anyone else seen her? Even if nobody replies, that's okej...it's enough to see her name in the subject line. She's one cool lady who has a helluva voice and a powerful stage presence..

The Players Club
 Aug 2 2005, 09:50:21 AM
Okej,

I have a question... My last name really is Booth, and I am told that I am a direct descendant of Edwin Booth, founder of The Players Club in NYC.

I am also told that because I am directly descended from Edwin, I am entitled to membership in the club. True or False?

I guess my real, burning question is this: would being a member of the club help me score better tickets to "Kristina" and perhaps get me into an after-show party, or am I on my own???

Tha

re: Kristina från Duvelmåla Updates
 Aug 1 2005, 05:06:40 PM
Joe,

I love to meet other insane ABBA fans in non-ABBA forums!! (lol) If you go to amazon and look at their "Used & new" button, you can score the Kristina boxset for $43.66... Too rich for my blood at the moment, but I've got the library's copy on semi-permanent loan... (feeling a bit guilty).

Oh, it has been translated into English from what I've read. This worries me because of the "passionectomy" that Bjorn performed on "Fernando". If you hear the original "Fernando" on "F

re: Really Nice Actors
 Aug 1 2005, 04:51:45 PM
Lauren Mufson, who is currently appearing in the Ottawa, Canada production of "Mamma Mia". Anyone else met her or seen her perform?

JWB

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You