News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for defenses

Member Name: defenses
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Official TDF Thread
 May 10 2024, 05:10:52 PM

Lempicka (Sat evening): orchestra center row D 105 & 106

The Wiz (Wed evening): orchestra right row T 18 & 20

Water for Elephants (Wed matinee): orchestra right row M 18 & 20

Appropriate (Wed evening): mezz right row C seats 2 & 4

The Official TDF Thread
 Jan 18 2024, 10:19:30 AM

Some of my recent TDF seats:

• Back to the Future (1/12): orchestra row G 1 & 3
  • Gutenberg! (1/17 m): orchestra row C seats 3 & 5
  • Hadestown (1/17 e): orchestra row E seats 2 & 4 (side note: it sounded like the two people behind me also used TDF for their seats)

re: Last note of 'Phantom of the Opera'
 May 30 2023, 12:59:48 PM

Wow! This is a very old thread but it’s fascinating to see that some things don’t change. The title track you hear is recorded until “sing my angel of music” then again for the high note. I’m pretty sure the actors usually sing over it (at least it sounded like they did when I was close), and sometimes you can clearly hear the Christine hit that note at the end over the recording. 

(They stopped using the doubles, though, so the Phantom and Christine

Kennedy Center’s Spamalot Reviews/Thoughts
 May 13 2023, 10:30:04 AM

I’m seeing it Wednesday!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the full Monty Python movie. Do you recommend I watch it or will I enjoy the show without it?

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 17 2023, 10:56:52 AM

poto19882023 said: "defenses said: "poto19882023 said: "Was at the stage door tonight, Ben Crawford came out to sign and take pictures and overhearing the way his voice sounded when he spoke the vocal injury seems to be VERY very true. He sounded extremely quiet and husky/raspy. It was quite surprising. Having been at his final performances he definitely didn’t sound rough enough to get to this point. And his final performance on April 1 evening was one of the

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 17 2023, 05:17:26 AM

ImAProphet said: "HunterK said: "Not sure if Ben had a good night?

https://twitter.com/crawdady21/status/1647732731202134020

Deleted...can you paraphrase? Curious what makes you say that
"

The tweet said “I read your sh*tty comments then go to your profiles & laugh” with a shrug emoji. (There’s a screenshot on his Instagram story if you want to see. It looks like he deletes all his tweets - I assume he doesn’t want to support TIIC at Twitter.) Definitely him poking fun at those who were implying there were other reasons he was missing from the show. He also liked a tweet that said “As someone who’s not a fan of Ben Crawford’s Phantom, I’m fine with this.” He’s clearly in good spirits about the situation. 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 17 2023, 05:13:41 AM

poto19882023 said: "Was at the stage door tonight, Ben Crawford came out to sign and take pictures and overhearing the way his voice sounded when he spoke the vocal injury seems to be VERY very true. He sounded extremely quiet and husky/raspy. It was quite surprising. Having been at his final performances he definitely didn’t sound rough enough to get to this point. And his final performance on April 1 evening was one of the strongest I’d heard from him. You really felt f

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 16 2023, 08:12:29 PM

HeyMrMusic said: "There was a color insert in the Playbill saying that Ben is on vocal rest per doctor’s orders. He was not fired. The insert reads:

We regret to announce that our wonderful leading man, Ben Crawford, has been put on vocal rest, per doctor's orders. We are assured he'll be well soon, but, unfortunately, not in time for tonight's closing performance.

In his absence, we are delighted that Laird Mackintosh has agreed t

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 16 2023, 07:22:42 PM

Looks like Ben Crawford and his wife are at the final performance.

(Although according to some people here, he was fired. Gotta love the rumors!)

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 16 2023, 01:53:45 PM

Laird will be on for the final performance. Ben is sidelined with a bacterial infection. https://playbill.com/article/laird-mackintosh-will-play-phantom-of-the-operas-final-broadway-performance-principal-ben-crawford-sidelined

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 15 2023, 06:04:26 PM

TaffyDavenport said: "I know the die-hard fans on here don't mind this revolving door of Phantoms, but, to me, it seems like an unfortunate and messy way to end this 35-year run."

It hasn’t been handled the best way, especially for more casual theatergoers. I heard several comments over the last week about how weird it is the “main Phantom” isn’t in so close to the closure. 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 15 2023, 04:35:41 PM

CATSNYrevival said: "Voter said: "Per an injury, Ben Crawford will not be returning to the show. He has played his final performance."

What injury? Wasn't it announced prior that there would be rotating Phantoms for the final weeks?
"

Has to be vocal injury based off his last two shows. He barely had a voice.

I don’t remember seeing anything about rotating phantoms. Pretty sure this is an emergency situation. 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 15 2023, 12:14:44 PM

Ted will be Phantom at the matinee. 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 13 2023, 10:33:26 PM

chernjam said: "I'm curious if with all the crazy shenanigans for the benefit performance prices if that means last week's Grosses will be the largest as opposed to this week...”

Wouldn’t Sunday’s show impact this week’s grosses as well? 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 13 2023, 11:34:00 AM

Here’s what David Lai and the principal trio were teasing a few weeks ago: https://people.com/theater/andrew-lloyd-webber-new-version-song-think-of-me-phantom-of-opera-close-exclusive/

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 12 2023, 08:04:21 AM

His voice was shot on 3/31 so he took the next day’s matinee off. I was at the night show and he sounded fine in the beginning but was losing his voice as the show went on. I’d assume he’s closing as long as he’s capable of doing so. 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 10 2023, 09:37:04 PM

chernjam said: "thedrybandit said: "chernjam said: "Do you have a link to this interview?"

I believe this is the one being referred to.
"

thanks thedrybandit - glad to see it, because its obvious this is a rift (CM and ALW) that won't heal anytime soon.

I'm hopeful that ALW and RUG can produce POTO on their own now without CM. Perhaps once the Majestic renovations are done, it returns there?
"

Yeah, I definitely send some tension. I figured he’d take the diplomatic route (it had a good run, etc.) but this is the second time he said it wasn’t his decision. He’s clearly not happy it’s closing. 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 7 2023, 03:06:35 PM

Depending on how high it gets, I could be tempted to bid if I had someone to split it with me. 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 6 2023, 01:21:02 PM

Another data point. I overslept and didn’t get to the box office until 9 am. The standing room spots sold out about 3-4 people before me. 

Phantom Closing?
 Apr 5 2023, 01:50:15 PM

Jeremy Stolle is on for the matinee! I’d guess he’s on the for the 8 pm show too, but YMMV. Talk is Greg might go on over the next few days…

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You