News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BroadwayGirlie2

Member Name: BroadwayGirlie2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2024 Tony Awards
 Feb 13 2024, 12:07:04 PM

HeyMrMusic said: "According to BWW, the Tony committee met last week and deemedAppropriateas a revival. But where is the official statement about it?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/APPROPRIATE-is-a-Revival-Tonys-Seek-New-Spokesperson-and-Shabbat-Comes-to-Broadway-20240129
"

Are we still waiting for this official statement? It seems pretty well known that Appropriate will be considered a revival, which makes it odd that they are pushing "best reviewed new play on Broadway" with the Belasco transfer announcement on their socials and new website.  

PURLIE VICTORIOUS Opening Night Reviews
 Dec 8 2023, 11:19:09 AM

Hillary Clinton was at the show last Wednesday and posted about it on her Instagram this week. She sees a lot of theater and is taking on a producing role this season - It’s great to see her getting so involved in Broadway. Would love to see more political figures promoting/supporting the arts. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0hMVTJRJ7a/?img_index=1

I know they have a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt outside the Music Box… Who would have thought First Ladies would become modern theater influencers?

BOOP! The Betty Boop Musical - Pre-Broadway Chi
 Dec 7 2023, 06:12:45 PM

Who is handling the marketing and socials for this?  They seem to be doing a good job pushing out content and promoting the Chicago run. Clips of the music and choreography are getting a lot of attention and they seem to be generating a great community excited for a transfer. 

Other shows with upcoming out of town runs should start implementing similar tactics. In this age of social media, you need to cultivate your audience before an announcement. 

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
 Nov 6 2023, 12:27:38 PM

DramaTeach said: "Went in with low expectations because of the chatter here, and I think that served me well because I didn’t hate it. Here are my takeaways:

1) Ephraim Sykes was not enough for Joey. He doesn’t have enough control of his voice to convey an ease and swagger. I could also feel him trying to give what he thought he was supposed to give in the performance and, again, it should be easy. I shouldn’t feel the effort. His “new sound” and the excitement over his performances didn’t land because of all that.

2) The ladies were wonderful. Aisha Jackson has a gorgeous voice. It was interesting because the Playbill said she was in Once Upon a One More Time, and I left so unimpressed by the talent in that, but I guess it’s just that Britney’s songs are not meant for Broadway. This was her wheelhouse. Elizabeth Stanley is always excellent and her “Bewitched…” was gorgeous, sexy and funny at the same time.

3) I love tap, but I don’t get Savion Glover’s tap. It’s just constant stomping. I get that they were supposed to be his inner drive, but eh. Not a fan.

4) Those arrangements were not it. It’s gorgeous music and they changed it too much, so we lose the melody.

5) Everyone else was just there. Ashmankas was fun in a tiny role, Divine was fine, and so was everyone else. Fine.

I don’t think this is entirely a lost cause, and it seems like they want to continue working on it because they were giving out surveys when they show ended, but it needs some significant changes. Good luck to them!
"

I agree that there is something there worth exploring, and it seems the creative team still hopes to move this forward. My friend and I were at the performance on Saturday night, and there was a group outside the theater gathering feedback and passing out QR codes.

The QR Code leads to this google survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfhyKZumyQS9rYPJvyEyuxT0f-iiBmtmoWXYAL2dkuqRa3Isw/viewform

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You