News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for beyondthebreakofday

beyondthebreakofday Profile Photo
Member Name: beyondthebreakofday
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Guess the show from the prop list!
 May 9 2008, 12:53:48 AM
Could the tea set, plumed hat, ice skates, piano, and Christmas tree be Little Women?
re: Drowsy in Boston
 Apr 24 2008, 11:49:18 AM
I saw it on Tuesday night (the first night in Boston) and it was great. Loved Man-in-Chair Jonathan Crombie.

I heard that last night the woman who plays Kitty (Marla Mindelle) was switched out half-way through the show and a stand-by or one of the swings finished the show. They made an announcement at the end of the show about it. I hope she's alright!

re: XANADU Promo Video
 Apr 22 2008, 03:15:53 PM
How funny! I love how they so obviously cut up people's sentences. Cheyenne Jackson saying: "People coming from Kansas..." Haha-hysterical!
re: Weakness of Sondheim's Second Acts
 Apr 17 2008, 05:57:51 PM
"The thing about INTO THE WOODS and SUNDAY is that both acts are self-contained. SWEENEY TODD has a full Two-Act structure, whereas it's feasible that the former two can be performed as One-Acts."

The second acts of these shows are SO dependent on the first acts that I don't see how they can be performed separately. In the case of Sunday, we need the first act to leave us with that sense of unease, of incompleteness (firmly rooted in "We Do Not Belong Together" and Dot leaving George b

re: Alexander Gemignani!!
 Apr 10 2008, 03:08:09 PM
For someone who has seen Les Miz many times, many different casts, Gemignani was my least favorite of all Valjeans. He is indeed very young and I believe the show requires a lot of maturity (though it is called acting, I suppose). Still, for me he did not bring the required depth to the character, did not seem to become the character as so many others have. His singing was fine and I enjoyed him in SITP. A much more appropriate role for him.
re: 'August: Osage County' dramaturgy.
 Mar 26 2008, 06:18:54 PM
The term dramaturg is a hard one to define, especially in America where the profession is very new. A production dramaturg is one who works on a specific show and is there to research information for the cast and crew, answer questions (historical and textual) for the director, create lobby displays, write program notes, assist in educational outreach, etc. A resident dramaturg might serve as a literary manager by reading new scripts sent to the theatre, choosing the season, reading many adapt
re: 'August: Osage County' dramaturgy.
 Mar 26 2008, 06:05:32 PM
I think the role of the dramaturg is severely underlooked in the Broadway Theatre. Why are dramaturgs only used for new works?

What difference do you think dramaturgy makes for productions? A Dramaturg was used for August and it has been greatly successful. Do you think the show would be as successful without one? Do you think other shows would benefit from dramaturgy?

Hilarious Comments...
 Jun 18 2007, 03:47:45 AM
In the audience at DRS in Boston. Two elderly woman looking through the Broadway Across America season and their date books.

First elderly woman: What show do we have next?
Second elderly woman: Well, next we have Chiquita Rivera.

And there it was, written down clearly in her date book as "Chiquita"...

re: Best (and worst) dressed
 Jun 11 2007, 12:47:22 AM
Um, the best dressed was definately that man who got up when Journey's End won best revival of a play.

You know, that man with those bright red plaid pants and the crazy suit jacket! He tops the list by far!

Redundant
 Apr 30 2007, 01:22:28 PM
What's the point? The show has been open for nearly a month and this article comes out now? There are plenty of other similar reviews that theatregoers can read if they are contemplating seeing this show(though it does appear that theatregoers could care less about these reviews).

It's ridiculous to put out a remarkably childish article at a time like this- There is a time to critique a show, but there comes a point when say, after a month, we need to have best wishes for the cast, crew

Songs cut from Chita's National Tour??
 Apr 14 2007, 08:48:00 PM
Funny/Horrifying Story about this show:

When I saw DRS at the Colonial Theatre in Boston, the friend who I went with overheard these two older women talking about the next show that they had tickets for. The one women told the other:

"Next we have Chiquita Rivera in The Dancer's Life"

He looked over and sure enough that's how the women had it written down in her date book, as "Chiquita"!!!

re: PQ cast recording set to happen
 Apr 11 2007, 05:26:20 PM
I'm very happy that this is happening, and we can only hope that it will be a complete recording. I agree that highlights of Boublil and Schonberg just aren't enough.
re: Happy Opening Pirate Queen!
 Apr 5 2007, 12:16:54 PM
Yes-
Break a leg everyone! The show is great!

re: Pirate Queen Poll
 Mar 26 2007, 12:15:11 PM
Definately an A for me. Keep these (mostly)original epic musicals coming.
re: High Fidelity-10/07/06 Matinee
 Oct 13 2006, 04:32:17 PM
bashing? I thought this was a message board....you know, for people to express opinions? I was simply expressing my surprise that all of these posts were positive--next time I'll make sure to ask you first if that's ok.
re: High Fidelity-10/07/06 Matinee
 Oct 13 2006, 04:14:53 PM
Ummm.....I'm slightly shocked. I didn't like the show very much at all. Yes the performers were good, but the material they were given made the entire show rather sub par. I thought that the storyline was very weak and that everything the movie did right this show did wrong. The movie was so unique in its jokes and its references whereas the dialogue and jokes in this show seems so mainstream and overdone. (I seem to remember a scientology joke?).

I do not think the book writers

Worst. Lyrics. EVER.
 Aug 10 2006, 08:52:55 PM
"Turn around, go back to Concord? Leave New York behind unconquered? No!" --Little Women

She didn't even come up with a new rhyme.

re: Stokes' South Pacific on PBS in NY Now
 Aug 10 2006, 08:50:04 PM
And in the Boston area.
re: You know you're a Broadway musical fan when...
 Aug 1 2006, 01:45:32 AM
bwaymizfit- I can't believe you just posted that! I get so angry every time I see that commercial.

Some others:
When you're taking a test you have to sing assassins in your head to determine which president was killed/shot at by which character.

When you walk into any coffee shop, etc. and are tempted to buy decaffeinated tea just because it's there(TTB)

When you're in a room with a really old mail slot that has been dismantled and is now only a small rectan

re: ____________ should have been at the Tonys.
 Jun 12 2006, 03:20:52 PM
While watching the Tonys a group of us were discussing just this. And we realized that you never see Stephen Sondheim at these things. You would think that he would have been asked to present...maybe he was, but I don't even know if he was present in the audience, let alone presenting. And then when the Sweeney director made his speech he spoke of Sondheim as if he were dead. It's just interesting to think about...he's such a living legend.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You