News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SayitSomehow

SayitSomehow Profile Photo
Member Name: SayitSomehow
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.absolutepunk.net
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Official TDF Thread  Jun 20 2023, 02:44:16 PM

--> "Kelli O’Hara will not be appearing June 23rd thru June 25th."

Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards  Jun 13 2023, 06:15:41 PM

The Shucked team is clearly smoking a bit too much of their own corn. 

How do you not let Alex, the Tony-nominated(-and-now-winning), scene-stealing, mid-show-standing-ovation-earning, non-binary star of your show sing at least the latter half of her enormous roof-raising song? That should have been her Jennifer Holliday or Joaquina Kalukango moment with the audience on their feet, screaming praise for her momentous turn playing a full-out female role and tearing it up every night

ALMOST FAMOUS To Open On Broadway Fall 2022  Oct 5 2022, 08:41:14 AM

Mmmyeahhh -- this did not need to be a musical. The songs are not enhancing the material, and especially a dozen mid-tempo Tom Kitt softcore tracks are NOT bringing the rock 'n roll spirit. Somehow "Next to Normal" rocked way harder than this did. My group was checking their playbill throughout act two. A few glimpses of really fun comedy, but few and far between. 

There are maybe 2 and a half songs I wanna hear again, and one of them is "Fever Dog" from the movie. I did love how that was integrated into the curtain call. After The Visitor, Superhero, Flying Over Sunset -- I'm beginning to question Tom Kitt as a compelling voice in musical theater. But Soleia Pfeiffer sounds incredible the few moments she gets to really sing. 

Oy vey, I just don't understand the movie musical pipeline. These are not good ideas for shows. I feel the most successful adaptations (Legally Blonde, Hairspray, Kinky Boots) have sprung from big, splashy comedy-forward films. And I agree with earlier post that Bridges of Madison's score gorgeously benefitted from super-heightened romantic emotions (although the show overall was mid). But Almost Famous is more of an understated semi-cult classic where subtleties, facial expressions, and cinematography make all the difference. Not to mention a soundtrack full of real rock classics. 

The wise rock journalist avatar continually reminds the audience that once the music starts to take itself too seriously it ceases to be rock n roll. Unfortunately this "rock" musical completely ignores its own advice. (I will sell this line to any reviewer who is interested, please dm me)  

ALMOST FAMOUS To Open On Broadway Fall 2022  Oct 5 2022, 08:39:42 AM

Deleting duplicate

The Official TDF Thread  Sep 26 2022, 11:29:48 AM

A few dates for 1776 are up

DEATH OF A SALESMAN 2022 Previews  Sep 22 2022, 11:49:36 AM

I found this a bit difficult to sit through. There's just so much repetition of ideas and by the time you reach three hours (in a theater that wasn't well air conditioned), I could feel people squirming in their seats. 

Wendell is on fire but I do find that his use of yelling is a bit erratic and almost not believable. In any conversation he might suddenly YELL a line of dialogue and it felt unrealistic to me, no matter how on-edge the character is. I wanted him to be a bi

The Official TDF Thread  Mar 30 2022, 01:32:39 PM

A few COMPANY dates added 

Anyone have experience developing a new musical?  Sep 20 2018, 02:08:25 PM

Apologies, after posting I realized this is probably a better fit for the off-topic or students boards. Feel free to delete if necessary. 

Anyone have experience developing a new musical?  Sep 20 2018, 02:05:00 PM

Does anyone have experience taking a musical from script to stage and beyond, and would be willing to have an informational conversation with a beginner? 

Please PM if so!! :) -- Much appreciated

The Wild Party Opens This Week  Jul 20 2015, 01:05:37 PM

Not sure if it's been shared but this Steven Pasquale fansite has some solid recordings from the performance:

http://stevenpasqualedaily.tumblr.com/

AMAZING GRACE Previews  Jul 1 2015, 11:34:58 AM
Mmmmm yeah. This was worse than Zhivago. At least the Zhivago score had some really tuneful, exciting moments in the score. This score probably had a combined one minute of real excitement.

Do not recommend.

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Previews  Apr 10 2015, 03:07:26 PM

Yeah but The Notebook is also about Alzheimer's, American social class structure, and women's rights, ya know? 

Maybe Titanic would have been a better comparison as it centers around an important & tragic historical moment, but is still a sweeping melodrama. But that's already been a musical ;p 

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Previews  Apr 9 2015, 12:03:13 PM

Serious question... Did Michael Bay direct this musical?!?!

So many explosions, gun shots, and sudden violence. It just never ended. I've jumped less watching Paranormal Activity films (although I was in row G).

Anyway, I'm a person who enjoys a good Jekyll & Hyde style darkly romantic, ballad-heavy melodrama... so I enjoyed the night. Some really miraculous singing by Mutu, Barrett, and Nolan. As Pasha, Nolan brought a lot of fire and a very confident performan

Something Rotten Previews  Mar 31 2015, 01:35:55 PM
@BrerBear haha! layers man, layers!
Something Rotten Previews  Mar 31 2015, 09:17:13 AM
The show is for sure entertaining but come on guys, brilliant comedy it is not. There's a handful of actually clever lines and then a bunch "wink wink, nod nod, isn't that funny audience?!?!?" lines.

****SPOILERS****

I think @Kad said it best. "It's a Musical" is some of the easiest and cheapest musical comedy writing I've seen. The joke of "people breaking into song" has been skewered before and with more subtle wit. There are countless songs about musical conventions

Gigi Previews  Mar 19 2015, 11:40:39 PM
@Whizzer haha! I think we swapped places after American in Paris
Gigi Previews  Mar 19 2015, 11:36:21 PM
It was a nice night but much like American in Paris there just not much THERE there. The costumes are lovely, the sets are pretty, the songs are charming, the Victoria Clarke was darling. Corey Cott was very strong especially in his big act 2 number and Hudgens carries a tune quite well, especially with her very active choreography. She has a radiance that lights up the stage, though her acting and annunciation are quite stiff.

There were gaggles of late-teen girls raised on High Schoo

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Previews  Mar 14 2015, 01:00:36 AM
@Whizzer - Mmmmm yes, I was quite confused about all that haha. I've never seen the movie so I figured it was an outdated conceit that I was missing haha
AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Previews  Mar 14 2015, 12:41:05 AM
Whizzer - I feel the same! Everything you said rang true for me. A mixed bag for sure, and could swing either direction based on taste/mood/expectations.
AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Previews  Mar 13 2015, 11:52:58 PM
Don't go in expecting big voices, huge laughs, or a reinvention of the form, but do be prepared for just a lovely, sweet production to wash over you. It's classy, classic, elegant, touching, etc. At times it was like a very pleasant dream you'd have while napping on the beach. Just a warm breeze of a show.

The showstopper is really the dancing here. The leads are radiant and they move together beautifully. I was fixated on each of them throughout the entire show. The gold

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You