News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DigificWriter

Member Name: DigificWriter
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

INTO THE WOODS Reviews  Feb 8 2023, 07:50:31 PM

Who knows why the Broadway League allowed them to make the change, which isn't really a lie because it was sanctioned.

Brian d'Arcy James deserves to be Tony-eligible for his performance, not only because of his talent, but also because he only missed the July 10th performance because he was ill, which is a circumstance completely out of his control.

Speaking of the Tonys and Into the Woods, I really hope Sara Bareilles also gets a nomination for her role a

INTO THE WOODS Reviews  Feb 8 2023, 03:39:55 PM

Nobody screwed up.

The production worked out a way to get Brian d'Arcy James- who wasn't available on July 10th - eligible for a Tony by negotiating an agreement with the Broadway League allowing them to list their Opening Night as August 6th rather than July 10th.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/How-INTO-THE-WOODS-Worked-Around-the-Tony-Rules-for-Brian-dArcy-James-20230206

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 11 2020, 11:31:22 AM

HogansHero said: "To you, BLM et al is just some child's tantrum."

That's not what I said in any way, shape, or form, and your insinuation to the contrary borders on flaming.

I dismissed this specific manifesto as being equivalent to a child's tantrum because of its contents and presentation.

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 11 2020, 08:33:00 AM

HogansHero said: "DigificWriter said: "How, exactly, does calling for the suppression of white theatre address the 'needs' of black theatre?"

How do the suppression of cancer cells address the needs of healthy cells?

Let me ask you this question: how do you propose to end systemic racism in the theatre? Or do you? This is not going to happen by reupholstering seat fabric.
"

Countering racism and discrimination with 

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 10 2020, 08:50:18 PM

How, exactly, does calling for the suppression of white theatre address the 'needs' of black theatre?

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 10 2020, 08:11:03 PM

The reason I think this whole thing is lunacy is because whomever drafted this manifesto went so over the top with the contents and conditions of said manifesto that nobody is going to actually take anything in said manifesto seriously.

If the person responsible for creating this whole thing actually wanted people to pay attention to it, essentially calling for the suppression of white theatre at the expense and promotion of POC theatre was not the right move to make, and is therefore

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 10 2020, 05:34:45 PM

JBroadway said: "@toottoot:

Well said, regarding the education requirements (maybe a bit rambley, but we've all been there lol). If you don't mind my re-wording your points into a "TL;DR" i would sum it up as the following:

Black people have historically lacked access to education and job opportunities, so education requirements and job history create a barrier for Black artists who have the potential to be great fits for the job. And going bas

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 9 2020, 03:33:18 PM

darquegk said: "It’s not intended to be accepted and achieved any more than “I Want a Dyke for President” was an actual mission statement with five year plan.

It’s agitprop. It’s meant to make you instinctively say “yes!” And then “wait, no!” And make you actively think about the issues at hand by proposing radical, almost scorched-earth action that could not conceivably be taken in real life.
"

You'

“We See You White American Theater” Publishes Demands  Jul 9 2020, 02:28:03 PM
Whoever came up with this stuff is delusional, and if somebody like Lin-Manuel Miranda has indeed been a party to this "movement", he's sadly been hoodwinked pretty severely.
Best Cast of a movie musical ever, what's your favorite?  Jul 9 2020, 03:01:44 AM

jo said: "DigificWriter said: "I am a self-described Musical Theatre Junkie, having seen professional productions of at least 10 different musicals, and have seen Les Mis on stage 3 different times, and the 2012 film adaptation ranks as one of my all-time favorite movie-going experiences (and I've seen a lot of movies in the 39 years I've been alive) and is a triumphal representation of the stage musical as well as a fantastically produced film in and of itself.

Best Cast of a movie musical ever, what's your favorite?  Jul 9 2020, 02:02:33 AM
I am a self-described Musical Theatre Junkie, having seen professional productions of at least 10 different musicals, and have seen Les Mis on stage 3 different times, and the 2012 film adaptation ranks as one of my all-time favorite movie-going experiences (and I've seen a lot of movies in the 39 years I've been alive) and is a triumphal representation of the stage musical as well as a fantastically produced film in and of itself.

Tom Hooper and composer Claude-Michael Schonberg wisely

Best Cast of a movie musical ever, what's your favorite?  Jul 8 2020, 04:12:24 PM

Jarethan said: "
I assume you are being sarcastic.

"

You assume incorrectly.

You're free to disagree, but I genuinely consider the casts of Les Mis, Sweeney Todd, and The Greatest Showman to be excellent.

And, yes, that assessment includes Russell Crowe's casting as Javert, as I find nothing wrong with his interpretation of the role.

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 7 2020, 07:48:36 PM
This bickering is pointless.

99.999999999999999999999% of people are going to describe this film as featuring the Original Broadway Cast of the show, and they'll be accurate in doing so regardless of a pedantic decision not to tout that fact in its marketing and/or the opinion of an original understudy.

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 7 2020, 07:28:56 PM

HogansHero said: "DigificWriter said: "This live-capture film features the Original Broadway Cast of the show ."

It's impossible to put stock in anything you say because this is not true.

"

Keep telling yourself that.

The absence of two members of the show's original ensemble and the opinions of an original understudy do not invalidate or cancel out the fact that the performances that comprise this film feature

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 7 2020, 07:11:35 PM

HogansHero said: "DigificWriter said: "Every performance of Hamilton is the "original Broadway production"; describing this live-capture film that way is nonsensical pedantry that means absolutely nothing."

Not pedantry; it's marketing.
"

Marketing can still be pedantic.

This live-capture film features the Original Broadway Cast of the show and should be marketed as such; choosing to do otherw

(Almost) All White  Jul 7 2020, 07:02:20 PM

Theatre licensing should not impose diversity casting requirements on drama teachers or casting directors, IMO, because casting should not be about gender, ethnicity, or race, but about talent.

High Schools, even schools in non-diverse areas, should have the freedom to stage any show that they want to, have the budget for, and have received approval from the appropriate administrators for, period

It's all well and good for certain shows to have been written with dive

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 7 2020, 06:49:28 PM

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Again, they are not advertising/promoting it as the Original Broadway Cast. It is officially labeled as the Original Broadway Production, which is accurate."

Every performance of Hamilton is the "original Broadway production"; describing this live-capture film that way is nonsensical pedantry that means absolutely nothing.

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 7 2020, 11:12:39 AM

Theater_Nerd said: "The producers have since stopped promoting this as the Original Broadway Cast after much protest from original cast members who did not participate in the filming.

"

Which is just dumb.

Not having Betsy Struxness in the Hamilton movie does a disservice to the show  Jul 7 2020, 11:12:23 AM

Theater_Nerd said: "The producers have since stopped promoting this as the Original Broadway Cast after much protest from original cast members who did not participate in the filming.

"

Which is just dumb.

OUR Hamilton Reviews  Jul 7 2020, 07:49:19 AM

dramamama611 said: "Wow, the thought of Jefferson being effeminate never crossed my mind. Flamboyant, sure - but I took it in a bro-like, cocky way."

Now that I think about it, effeminate was the wrong word to use; flamboyant is a better description for how the character initially came across, and it felt to me like they went too far at the beginning.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You