News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for VirginiaK

Member Name: VirginiaK
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jamie Lloyd's revival of THE EFFECT to play The Shed (w/ Paapa Essiedu & Taylor Russell)  Mar 4 2024, 10:23:06 AM

Broadway Flash said: "Anyone at the first performance?"

Yes I was there yesterday March 3, I think that was the first performance.

My take on it -- it held my interest, and I'd recommend it for all the performances, but especially for Paapa Essiedu, who is so wonderful in a role that gives him an enchanting character, funny, wise, vulnerable --  and a huge range of emotional and physical states and expressions.  As to a central focus of t

Standing at the Sky's Edge coming to Broadway?  Mar 2 2024, 10:23:04 PM

inception said: "Or just do an Americanized version set in Pittsburgh or somewhere"

I suppose you could, but I learned from people sitting near me at the National that the apartment complex where it all takes place (3 generations of inhabitants -- not related -- of the same flat, post-War to the present day) was a well-known successful progressive proejct, well-designed modern good housing for working class people, in particular from the steel mills; and that the

Standing at the Sky's Edge coming to Broadway?  Mar 2 2024, 08:55:07 PM

I also loved the show in London last year and really agree with you, and I thought about it at the time -- even though I am a serious Anglophile, I only understood a lot of it because I was lucky enough to be sitting next to a kind stranger who was a British modern history guy who could explain things nicely to me in the Intermission. 

If it's going to come here, it belongs at St Ann's I would say, or maybe the Public or the Armory.

Icke's THE DOCTOR Starring Juliet Stephenson at the Park Avenue Armory  Jun 18 2023, 11:54:24 AM

I have a spoiler question about some things we learn quite late in the play.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

My question -- how did other audience members understand details of Dr Wolff's relationship to the person named Charlie, whom we see her talking to when she is at home?

Toward the end of the play, we find out that Charlie is dead,

COME FALL IN LOVE - THE DDLJ MUSICAL Coming To Broadway During 2022-2023 Season  May 18 2023, 03:59:12 PM

I guess they aren't aiming to draw the Indian/South Asian audience particularly -- this is like if you made a production of Oklahoma! or something but with all new songs with different words.  I am disappointed, also I don't get it -- there wouldn't be rights problems as Yash Raj and Aditya Chopra (the director and son of the later producer) must own them!! 

Also with the white guy romantic lead, who knows the girl from school, the whole fairy-tale thing is lo

COME FALL IN LOVE - THE DDLJ MUSICAL Coming To Broadway During 2022-2023 Season  May 17 2023, 09:36:47 AM

I just realized that Aditya Chopra is directing this -- if that's the case I am very optimistic about it!  I have seen the original many times, it is a joy.  And it is *very* right to have a subtitle referencing DDLJ, for the gigantic South Asian audience this is probably a #1 many-generation favorite musical -- also billed as India's longest-running movie, as it still shown at a morning show in a small Bombay theater.

Is there anybody here who knows DDLJ who has also seen the show?  One thing I wonder about is, have they kept the tunes for the songs and added English lyrics? My guess would be yes, as they are wonderful and super-well-known. 

If you were in India waiting for the movie, you'd be hearing the songs on the radio -- here's a taste -- and -- are these in the show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bNwqXvMuB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNV5hLSa9H8

LEOPOLDSTADT Reviews  Oct 31 2022, 01:05:31 PM

Another review, from a writer I like, George Blecher.  I plan to see this anyhow but I found this review engaging.  https://www.nycitywoman.com/tom-stoppards-leopoldstadt-on-broadway-a-review/

COME FALL IN LOVE - THE DDLJ MUSICAL Coming To Broadway During 2022-2023 Season  Oct 24 2022, 11:29:37 AM

Yes, they've changed the male lead from Raj, an Indian guy (the role played by Shah Rukh Khan) to Rog, an American (I think, unless he's a Brit).  I suppose so that we of the white part of the non-South Asian audience can identify with him.  As to how someone is thinking.

Fan pleasured herself during broadway play.  Sep 24 2019, 11:06:12 PM

alovingfan said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "It's been a while since I've readBetrayal, but is this a particularly steamy production?

I'd say no, not really, there's no nudity or sex scenes or anything, there isn't even a bed or a couch on the stage -- but he is dreamy.

Betrayal Previews  Sep 2 2019, 12:40:37 AM

I really liked it a lot and would consider seeing it again. Tom Hiddleston as Robert is a wonderful stage presence and delivered the profound sadness of the story so palpably, which is the feeling that is present but not I believe directly expressed in the text, which I now want to read. Charlie Cox as Jerry was great up against him, just as strong with a wholly different energy, much more forthright. I found Zawe Ashton fine as Emma, she holds her own with two great actors, but I thought the

Revisiting the HAIRSPRAY film  Jun 6 2019, 06:02:00 PM

The original John Waters movie is an all-time favorite of mine, I hope you see that one some time.

HILLARY AND CLINTON Reviews  Apr 18 2019, 12:24:57 PM

In the New Yorker online today, an excellent piece about Lucas Hnath, starting off with a focus on Hillary and Clinton. I'm reminded of how satisfyingly intelligent, even-handed, and surprising the play is.  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/22/lucas-hnath-lets-actors-fight-it-out-onstage?utm_source=facebook&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=tny&mbid=social_facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3Tgmbmnd_dWRlP8-Y7QRp_czKRGcMBQEbHGTucDn9siu0irLlJngTGJSE&fbclid=IwAR3H2xCKWCOIuGidVUxEG7rjg43XmSoerDAJhfe8ak1f4f32_PaSM6dsV3s

Did anybody rush for Lehman Trilogy?  Apr 13 2019, 03:49:31 PM

Thanks Susan for the sympathetic message! As I think about it the sweet spot for those guys has to be exactly this, show is totally sold out, secondary market is insane at $500-$1000 — so paying extra for rush tickets can be worth it, vs no tickets or $$$$$ tickets. 

Did anybody rush for Lehman Trilogy?  Apr 13 2019, 11:54:15 AM

Not crazy about how the system seems to be working now, and it is generating bad feeling about the Armory/the production. Short version: paid line-sitters got all the tickets except one or two. I imagine lots of people are used to this, I'm not, except for the Hamilton phenomenon. 

Long version: My friend went yesterday/Friday to try to get tickets for us. He got there a little before 8 and was 8th in line, but then at 9 or so, more than an hour later, 3 people working for

Did anybody rush for Lehman Trilogy?  Apr 11 2019, 11:03:26 PM

I’d love any reports of successful or unsuccessful experiences with the ticket rush for Lehman Trilogy.

Also any cancellation line stories!

The Official TDF Thread  Apr 6 2019, 12:55:08 AM

Tonight Friday, Hillary and Clinton, orchestra E 113 and 111. 

Two show days: what do you do in between them?  Mar 25 2019, 01:40:18 PM

I don't like that kind of time-killing schedule where you don't want to go too far away.

I would take a crosstown bus or the 7 train or the Times Square/Grand Central shuttle, depending where your hotel is, and just rest there because I like to prioritize being mentally un-fatigued for an evening show. Though you sound as if you're fine with lots of stimulation!!

LGBTQ+  Mar 21 2019, 11:21:46 PM

My take on her without knowing anything about her, just from reading her Tweet or whatever it was from 2014, was that there she seemed young or childish, and that she seemed like someone whose mind had been colonized by someone else, a parent or cult leader — like she was reciting dogma, not expressing her own views. With no awareness thathis was where she was coming from, just this is wrong etc.

Then recently I see that her dad is some kind of minister/leader type. I t

WHITE NOISE at The Public Theater  Mar 21 2019, 10:44:51 PM

Babe_Williams said: "VirginiaK said: "https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/theater/white-noise-review.html

Ben Brantley is enthusiastic
"

Huh, so Brantley must have not been laughing the last 30 minutes like Broadway_Boy suggested. Makes ya think.
"

Does he go to previews? I thought there was an understanding that performances prior to opening night were off limits to reviews, since the show isn’t finished till then.

Anyhow if he was there laughing — there’s plenty to laugh at, script is quite often funny, and also as well as the possibility of delight in how things get put into play. 

WHITE NOISE at The Public Theater  Mar 21 2019, 02:27:46 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/theater/white-noise-review.html

Ben Brantley is enthusiastic 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You