News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TrulyOutrageousJem

TrulyOutrageousJem Profile Photo
Member Name: TrulyOutrageousJem
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Carrie the Musical podcast teaser  Jan 29 2021, 01:46:52 PM

This podcast is FANTASTIC! They have interviews with cast members from the original workshop, the OBC, the creative team, etc. It is so much fun to hear all about the creation of this infamous show and to hear all of the backstage antics.

Give them a listen!

What Musicals do you think should be performed more often in High Schools?  Feb 11 2020, 01:17:57 PM

I've always felt that Smile was a great show for High Schools. Not only because it is age appropriate but because it has a really great political & cultural message. One that, sadly, is apparently just as relevant as it was in the mid 80s. 

Dream Jukebox Musical  Nov 26 2019, 09:25:35 AM

I'm admittedly a fan of camp and pop music. So my taste in this arena is gonna be pretty awful to some. But I'm also the target market for jukebox musicals because I love a good uptempo dance number and frivolous fun.

I'd love to see jukebox musicals using the works of:

Debbie Gibson

Madonna

Britney Spears (what ever happened to that musical? I thought the idea sounded quite good)

Kesha (I know, but seriously ... Her songs are pretty story like a

Favorite Short Lived Musicals?  Jul 24 2019, 09:23:40 AM

Oh! I forgot about Taboo. I saw it the night before it closed and it remains one of my favorite nights of theater. I, too, listen to the cast album often. I wish they would release the rights for this show.

mattyp4 said: "I still have a soft spot for Taboo. Wish I could see it again. I still listen to the cast album a lot."

Favorite Short Lived Musicals?  Jul 24 2019, 09:21:03 AM

The original 1988 Broadway run of Carrie and Smile are both favorites of mine. 

Broadway shows with no Standing Ovation  Sep 14 2018, 12:43:36 PM

This is really really embarrassing and I still have moments where I relive this and cringe but I saw Miss Saigon during the final week of it's original Broadway run back in the early 2000s. I was only 16 at the time I think and had seen other shows so I thought that was just what one did. At the end of the show you stand and applaud. I don't recall the show being bad.... So, the show ends, I stand ...... and I'm literally the ONLY person standing. I felt so awkward I just stood th

2017 TONY Awards Performances  Jun 11 2017, 03:56:44 PM

What a sad sad list of performances from such a great year of theater. I cannot believe they aren't having Anastasia perform. And no Bette Midler?! What a joke! 

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical  Jan 24 2017, 11:38:01 AM

I couldnt agree more. The Broadway orchstrations were fantastic. They were chilling and atmospheric. The revised version with the original orchestration would be perfect.

There's nothing wrong with liking dont waste the moon, i really like 'It hurts to be strong' !

Glad "I'm Not Alone" in the Carrie OBC love (see what I did there?). The 80's fanatic in me just gets such a thrill from the drum machine patterns in such c

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical  Jan 22 2017, 02:31:14 PM

Xanadu, Legally, Blonde, Smile, and Mama Mia for sure. Had great fun at all of those shows.

My biggest guilty pleasure, tho, is Carrie. I liked the revival and enjoy the recording a great deal. But I LOVE the 1988 Broadway recordings. I know that's not a popular opinion but I get such a thrill from the Broadway orchestrations, Linzi Hately, and Betty Buckley in that show. And here's where it gets really bad ... I adore "Don't Waste the Moon!" 

Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film  Feb 24 2016, 05:47:17 PM

This is a decidedly unpopular opinion but I really hope that they decide to go another direction in regards to Lin. Admittedly, I am not a fan. I can see that he might make an interesting choice for the role, and maybe even do it well. But I just can not abide by rapping anywhere near Mary Poppins. Keep him away from the score and this might be tolerable.

ROCKY Broadway hit of the 2014 Season  Jan 17 2014, 07:57:38 PM
I'm in the minority here but I am just SO not interested in seeing this show. It can win all the Tony's, everyone on here can rave about how amazing it is, and it can run for 100 years but I just don't care. I'm normally not like this with new shows. I like to give everything the benefit of the doubt until I see it in person. But ever since I saw the poster for this show even just the thought of sitting through ROCKY THE MUSICAL (I can't believe anyone takes that seriously) makes my insides twit
BUMP Finding Nemo Musical CD  Jan 1 2014, 12:22:21 PM
When Finding Nemo was in rehearsal at Animal Kingdom it WAS a full two hour show. And, originally, it had been marketed that way. It was going to be something to keep the park open later as the park currently closes at sundown because all the animals go away. So they needed something big to keep the park going. But somewhere along the line the bean counters decided that was too much money and decided to make it run 6 times a day during regular operating hours. So the director, much to the dismay
Is Broadway really considered the best?  Jan 1 2014, 12:08:17 PM
As far as musicals go I think Bway usually takes the cake. BUT I saw Mary Poppins, with the original cast, and was pretty underwhelmed (the children were AWFUL). When it toured in my area I went along kicking and screaming but was blown away, and actually moved to tears at one point, by the touring cast. So, I suppose sometimes Bway musicals have their competition too.
New Musical tells the story of Christ- through Britney's music!  Nov 2 2013, 05:38:31 PM
I wonder how long they've got till Britney's team kills this. Larry Rudolph is no joke and usually you can't get within a hundred yards of Britney material.
SWEET CHARITY: Stage or Film?  Oct 26 2013, 01:52:02 PM
I much prefer the stage version. The film has some great moments, and I like Shirley MacClaine as Charity, but they cut out so much stuff I feel like it's missing the campy, silly heart of the show.

I saw the revival with Christina Applegate. They ruined the show by making some stupid, IMO, cuts and changes and very odd choices for certain things. The Rhythm of Life, in particular, I hated. And Christina acted the part well enough, and certainly danced it well enough, but vocally was no

Smile The Musical  Oct 25 2013, 08:36:17 PM
I LOVE her Opening Act 2 postcard in the Broadway show.

My main reason for hating the "new" ones is that they are about absolutely NOTHING and do nothing to enhance the story. She's singing about gardens! Why? Who cares? She's also complaining about not being able to go the gardens when, logistically, that doesn't make any sense. When would you have time to go? You're not on vacation, you're in a competition.

Robin's first "postcards" from Broadway during "Very Best Week of Yo

Smile The Musical  Oct 25 2013, 02:01:54 PM
Sondhead, I'm actually 100% in agreement with you on the topic of "updating" the shows references. I did a production of Smile once and the director did update it and changed a few topical jokes. A few years later I did another production and we left it set in the 80s and the jokes worked just as well. I believe that the lines "If you count Vanessa..." etc we did change to "If you count Vanessa Williams..." just to jog people's memories but that's about it. There's really no need to update the s
Smile The Musical  Oct 24 2013, 01:27:02 PM
best12bars, lol OK. I was very confused there for a second. I didn't see the original run of the show, unfortunately. I was only 3 at the time. But I have seen a dvd of the original Broadway run. And I've seen the show a couple of times regionally. I LOVE the music in the show. Just love it. I am really excited to see it again.

darquegk, I'm not sure which version it is. I would assume it'll be the licensed version. The Broadway version did have a couple missteps, but it wasn't all bad.

Smile The Musical  Oct 23 2013, 05:04:08 PM
What?? Umm, ok...
Smile The Musical  Oct 23 2013, 04:15:03 PM
A theater in NYC is doing a limited engagement of Smile. Is anyone going to see this? I believe it opened last night. I'm going next week. I absolutely love this show and am really excited to get to see it.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You