News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LA Guy

LA Guy Profile Photo
Member Name: LA Guy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: I've seen 'Dreamgirls' the Movie and it is...
 Dec 5 2006, 10:39:39 AM
BK - I can understand your comments, but to think that "today's" FILM audiences are going to like (or even accept) such scenes as book numbers is a little naive. Remember "Rent"? That was played exactly the way you suggest - with horrific results. People who want theatre go to the theatre, people who go to the movies want a movie. It isn't enough to simply put the stage show on screen, or the movie on stage (i.e. Producers, Mary Poppins)... Everything has to be adapted to fit the medium it i
re: I've seen 'Dreamgirls' the Movie and it is...
 Dec 4 2006, 09:55:55 PM
One thing I would have liked to see is Jennifer Holiday and Sheryl Lee Ralph in a small cameo (like Chita's in "Chicago"). Would have been a nice nod to them for establishing these incredible characters...
I've seen "Dreamgirls" The Movie and it is...
 Dec 4 2006, 09:20:12 PM
Absolutley stunning!

Being a member of one of the Guild's here in LA, I was able to go to an advance screening of the film. I was a little worried going in for two reasons - (1) there have already been a few reviews (Variety and Hollywood Reporter, for instance) that had differing views on the film, and (2) seeing these special screenings can be dicey, as the audiences may not have the same kind of passion and enthusiasm for a movie that you get sitting in a theatre with true fans.

re: Wicked in LA
 Oct 16 2006, 05:17:12 AM
If Idina is bored with the role, she sure ain't showing it in London. Saw her this past sat matinee, and she was amazing!!!
re: Who hates LA?
 Sep 2 2006, 08:07:06 AM

Who Hates People Who Hate LA?
 Sep 2 2006, 05:35:15 AM
I have to say that the "Who Hates LA?" thread is petty, ridiculous and simply meant to rile up people and get them to post...

I am an LA resident, after living in NYC for 6+ years, and EVERY city, regardless of where it is, has its own special people, places and things that make it unique. I would never say I hate anywhere (aside from where I grew up, but that is more a "state of mind" thing than about the place itself), and to criticize where other people live, work, love, play, etc.

re: Threepenny Opera --performance selection for Tony's
 Jun 12 2006, 06:58:21 PM
Tony numbers are all about selling tickets, and with that being the case, I think the number performed (while done very well) will not bring in an audience. "Mack the Knife" would have been more appropriate, since most people know that song (though perhaps not where it is from)... Songs out of context that are not well know generally don't come out well (I think "Lot's Wife," which was an amazing number in "Caroline or Change," didn't play well on the telecast out of context... I think the sam
re: Vegas, a Broadway Bust?
 Mar 29 2006, 04:37:37 PM
Working in the entertainment biz in LA, I have heard a lot about the problems in Vegas. Many people contend that Vegas simply isn't a great town for titles that are not all that well known. MAMMA MIA is a success, but it only set up shop in Vegas after playing for years in London and NYC. Not to mention the fact that everyone knows ABBA and their songs.

Problem with an AVE Q and HAIRSPRAY is that these shows really require a kind of "word of mouth" publicity, that just can't be had i

LA REVIEW OF "SWAN LAKE"
 Mar 16 2006, 07:24:41 PM
https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=8295
re: Wicked- No Flying for Dame.
 Jul 28 2005, 03:35:16 PM
This reminds me of one time when I saw MISS SAIGON in NYC and the helicopter never came down at the end of the "Nightmare" sequence.

What was funny, is that after the show, two women sitting behind me got up and said, "For all the talk of the helicopter, I don't see what's so big about it..." They never even realized that what they saw was not supposed to happen.

I think the same thing can be said of "Defying Gravity." She almost didn't fly, and I was upset because I knew sh

re: Wicked Lottery for Thursday Matinee at the Pantages in LA. . .
 Jul 28 2005, 03:31:43 PM
That's one of those weird thing about living in LA. There are people everywhere anytime of the day, whether its on the freeways, at the Coffee Bean or the Wicked lottery... and the other truth of the matter is that there are a lot of freelance people in LA (actors, production people, etc.) who may or may not be working at anytime.
re: Schools on the Westcoast
 Jul 25 2005, 05:58:31 PM
USC also has a BFA program for drama. Very selective, but becoming more and more well regarded in the industry.
re: Care to guess?
 Jul 25 2005, 05:17:00 PM
The sad state of affairs in "new" musicals. Sort of like how "Tarzan" is a new musical...
 Jul 25 2005, 05:10:47 PM
Great leads... which lead me to this YAHOO article, which states:
Actor Edward Hibbert, who is in the workshop cast, previously told Playbill.com columnist Harry Haun that the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles is looking at the show (indeed, the Ahmanson teases on its season brochure that a new musical is expected there in summer 2006).

The Ahmanson website is promising "a new pre-Broadway musical" in 2005-06. The L.A. theatre's website stops short of mentioning the title of the show,

Jul 25 2005, 04:17:29 PM
Anyone have a theatrical index to help us decode?
re: 'SPAMALOT' TOUR CHEATS LA/SF THEATRE-GOERS
 Jul 25 2005, 04:14:47 PM
Skittles - sorry you live 4 hours away, so are you saying that there is no other local market that tours come to?

Second, I was simply using the DVD's as an example. You see, theatrical presentations in movie theatres are what drives DVD sales. The same is true of B'Way, it drives tours and tour ticket sales. I was simply trying to show how DVD's deocoratizes movie going, because anyone can see a movie when it comes out on DVD, and tours are sort of the "theatrical" equivalent of

Care to guess?
 Jul 25 2005, 04:04:35 PM
This is currently on the Ahmanson Theatre (Los Angeles) web site, as the teaser announcement for a New "Broadway Bound" musical... what do you think it is? Anyone have a good guess?

A New pre-Broadway Musical

Mystery, suspense and surprise fill many a good musical, and they are perfectly apropos for this particular announcement. Scheduled for a Broadway workshop during the summer, this new pre-Broadway musical promises to be a must-see sensation. Those of you who love a good

Jul 25 2005, 04:00:51 PM
ChiChi, the decline in touring shows IS hurting theatres and disappointing audiences.

In LA, for instance, this year's "Broadway Series" includes, ANNIE, WHITE CHRISTMAS, and JOSEPH...DREAMCOAT, and last year we had LES MIS, non-equity MISS SAIGON, KING AND I, non-equity OKLAHOMA...

So with the dearth of First National Co. touring shows, we are stuck with retreads of old shows, non-equity shows and the like. This should be appaling to any theatre-lover that the new original st

Jul 25 2005, 03:52:53 PM
Oh and how would people feel if Hollywood just showed movies in Los Angeles? If you really wanted to see it, would you spend money to come see it? NO, you would probably wait for it to come to DVD... so that's all I am asking for, and to me, a "Spamalot" tour stop is the DVD I am asking for...
 Jul 25 2005, 03:50:08 PM
Orange - there is a slight difference. Broadway is historical the place shows start. Naturally, they want people to come see the shows there in the city, for it is what drives the economic engine, and you don't want to cannabalize your own market. Shows eventually do tour, even to places as close as one hour to NYC (New Haven and Philadelphia).

This is slightly different, as Vegas is trying to carve out "exclusives" that aren't trying to protect the property, they are simply trying

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You