News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for RobR

RobR Profile Photo
Member Name: RobR
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Actor you have seen in at least two different performances
 Aug 11 2006, 07:00:44 PM
Maria Friedman - Fosca in 'Passion'; Dot in 'SITPWG'; Marian 'WinW'; Mother in 'Ragtime'; Liza Elliott in 'Lady in the Dark'; Mary in 'Merrily' - plus Witches of Eastwick, Square Rounds, Ghetto.
re: Do you ever leave a show during intermission?
 Aug 2 2006, 08:11:58 PM
Yes 1992 the Pit Theatre at the Barbican, London. The RSC's production of the Dybbuk directed by Katie Mitchell, a stage of varied shades of brown, actors directed to almost put a pause between every syllable, and a stage lit by candlelight. At the interval I realised I'd just lost two hours of my life I could never get back and I had a pile of ironing at home that would provide a better night's entertainment.
re: Torch Song Trilogy question......
 Aug 1 2006, 08:52:21 PM
Anthony Sher opened it in London and was then followed by Harvery. It was a remarkable performance from Sher who played Arnold a little more 'needy' as I recall and it was very much an actor's performance - one of those that knows it will get the actor noticed by a wider audience. He also made the mke-up in the first play 'prettier'/more stylish for want of a better word.

re: You know you're a Broadway musical fan when...
 Jul 23 2006, 08:19:34 PM
You sing showtunes around the office at work - and try to get colleagues to join in with the harmonies and chorus numbers.

You can't remember the name of the guy you went out with, but know you dragged him along to an amateur production of 'Company' for a 2nd date.

You ask what production of any multiple recorded show, someone means when a fellow addict mentions a show ("Do you mean original cast? London revival? or off-off Broadway that played 2 weeks")
You spend sever

re: If you could have any one thing from a show...
 Jul 23 2006, 08:09:53 PM
The chairs from 'Grand Hotel' - I have alot of friends, finally they could sit down.

The dresser from Doyle's 'Sweeney Todd' - what I didn't want to keep would sell on e-bay.

The balcony from the new 'Evita' - it would just finish my garden of.

The house in London's 'Mary Poppins' - a three/four storey nouse in Central London, who wouldn't want that?

re: Today's Shows Revived Tomorrow
 Jul 23 2006, 06:24:49 AM
But let's look on the bright side - it may not ...

However back to the question - I suspect 'Light on the Piazza' to move between the legit stage and opera house over the next 30 years; also the technical aspects of stagecraft may in time develop at such a pace that we could end up with CGI theatre, or downloadable performances (just think get Carol, Angela, Chita and Julie to record their classic performances one last time ready to be slotted into any production long after their deaths

re: The Rothschilds
 Jul 19 2006, 08:09:55 PM
Just been reading Sheldon Harnick's observations on his show in 'The Art of the American Theatre: Conversations with the Creators'; he comments that they blew the second act at the time by concentrating on the love story between Nathan and Hannah, when the whole show should be about father and sons. Also he points out it needs a fairly big company, on Broadway it was 40 strong.

But it is a beautiful score.

re: The A-Z broadway game
 Jul 1 2006, 06:33:27 AM
On Your Toes
 Jun 30 2006, 08:48:48 PM
Skip X - so Y.

Yearling

Jun 30 2006, 08:22:34 PM
Three Wishes for Jamie
 Jun 30 2006, 07:03:24 PM
Passion
Li'l Abner - Plot Synopsis
 Jun 26 2006, 08:46:41 PM
I've been filling in my CD collection gaps and finally got round to purchasing the remastered 'Li'l Abner' - now I have a vague idea of the plot Dogpatch being used as a nuclear testing site, but that's about it. Its such an American show that I can't find any record of it having been performed anytime in the UK, so anyone able to provide a synopsis and bit of background?

Many thanks.

re: Broadway song/Showtune that Best Describes you
 May 24 2006, 08:37:20 PM
Fate may often treat me meanly
But I keenly pursue
A little mirage in the blue,
Determination helps me through.

Though I never really grumble,
Life's a jumble indeed
And in my efforts to succeed
I've had to formulate a creed.

I believe in doing what I can
In crying when I must
In laughing when I choose
Hey ho, if love were all
I should be lonely.

- If Love Were All ~ Noel Coward's BITTERSWEET

re: Rate the musical above you.
 May 22 2006, 06:55:24 PM

Mack and Mabel

re: What Do You Think About Sunset Boulevard?
 Apr 14 2006, 11:12:30 PM
I admit Sunset is the one ALW musical I have seen far too many times. Saw the very first preview in London (which was to have been the last before opening night - but staging problems messed up the schedule) and still remember Patti walking down the staircase at the end with the white peacock feather head dress (which was slightly overkill for Norma meeting the press, if fabulously mad). Then later in the run when Kevin Anderson seemed to be having a running war with the M.D. (you know one night
re: Blood Brothers
 Apr 6 2006, 08:03:59 PM
The Barbara Dixon - she created the part and it's from when the show still maintained its rough edges.
re: Broadway Showtunes Remix? (DJ Mixes)
 Apr 6 2006, 03:54:36 PM
From 2000 a stunning bit of Euro dance music by Lora Munro of 'Do-Re-Mi' and 'My Favourite Things' - I just listened to it again it made my ears bleed!!!

However Donna Giles version of 'I am what I am' is worth it, clever mix, soulful voice, and perfect for facing the worst of the day.

I also remember from the mid 90's a techno remix of 'The Day After That' from 'Kiss of the Spiderwoman' - first time I heard it at 5am on a hot dancefloor it rather freaked me out, my two worlds

re: Favorite Musical - (1 rule. It can't be WICKED)
 Apr 4 2006, 08:31:50 PM
Guys & Dolls
She Loves Me
Nine
City of Angels
Passion
and at No1. Grand Hotel (well this week)

re: Your Favorite Musical Villains
 Mar 29 2006, 04:21:29 PM
Can I suggest another Lansbury role?

Cora Hoover Hooper from 'Anyone Can Whistle' - corrupt, venal, cunning, self pitying & her duet with Nurse Fay Apple 'There's Always A Woman' is a delight.

re: House of Flowers CD - yes or no
 Mar 29 2006, 04:09:29 PM
Has a blissful score (and the Columbia Masterworks edition has Truman Capote reading a very small part of the original story - worth it just to compare against Phillip S-H's performance) and memorable performances all round

If you then wonder why it lasted only 165 performances on Broadway, it's worth checking its history in 'Not Since Carrie' - sounds like fireworks all round.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You