News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for himself

himself Profile Photo
Member Name: himself
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

one Annie vs. four Matildas?
 Jan 25 2013, 01:29:40 PM
There's much discussion of labors laws and comparison to Billy Elliot and Annie.
1. There requirement in the US for child performances is more relaxed than UK.
2. The performers in both the aforementioned shows are older.
3. Sadly, they raised the keys for Annie and it was already tough.
4. The girls in Matilda are 10.
5. The score is TOUGH and intense.
6. I'm not sure how any comparison can be made to a show you've never seen...unless you saw it in London...

Tale of two cities the musical
 Jan 25 2013, 01:21:25 PM
AS you can see from the succession of posts following yours, the judgement passed on a musical is purely personal, so never listen to ANYONE, good or bad in their opinion. You must form your own.
The problem with every musical adaptation of any book is that it's impossible to put all the detail of a book into a 2 hour show that needs to be approximately 60-70% music.
And taking into account the fact that Dickens was paid by the WORD you begin to see the problems inherent into a reasonab

Lippa's Wild Party...
 Mar 22 2004, 04:36:39 PM
I loved "em both! The poem is so haunting and evocative in it's own right and both shows captured a taste of that. I'm not a big LaChuisa fan but I think the whole concept of his show was inherently more theatrical whereas Lippa's was far the more passionate. This is what art theatre is all about, folks! There should be two versions of every show!
re: Why Opera Divas still are the Only REAL Divas!
 Sep 20 2003, 06:16:09 PM
That's a voice though...as a rule however most opera "divas" are good people...with the exception of Kathleen Battle who, once upon a time didn't speak to me for a month because I told her to "go give 'em hell" in a production at the Met...seems she didn't speak to people who cursed...
I was mystified for a month...
perplexed for about a minute...
and over it...and her...'bout a minute later

re: re: re: re: Michael Crawford as Max Byalistock in London??
 Sep 17 2003, 05:48:16 PM
And still, it's all about ticket sales...sickness aside, he sells tickets and we don't.
re: Question about when broadway shows close
 Sep 15 2003, 08:09:41 PM
Most shows are now taped for Lincoln Center and are available only through them. This costs the producers about $5,000.00. The cost of doing a full blown video of a show is prohibitive and is rarely done. Hence, the traffic in illegal videos. Or Hasselhoff...
re: DOTV - Non Musical
 Sep 13 2003, 11:47:20 AM
Well...that was quite the journey from "Fearless Vampire Killers" (comedy) to "Tanz der Vampir" (not so comedy) to DOTV (not so...either one). I still scratch my head as to why they thought this would make a good musical, but I lovd ALL the versions just the same.
Costumes & Scenery On Broadway Please
 Sep 12 2003, 06:24:10 PM
The Encores production of Wonderful Town looked NOTHING like Chicago. The bandstand was very Art Deco and scenery flew in (the barest of scenery) but it looked just right for the show.

re: TABOO: Hit or flop?
 Sep 11 2003, 11:00:59 AM
Just my two cents. It's impossible to judge any show that opens on B'way no matter WHERE it began. I admire Rosie's support because she's one of the few who truly puts her money where her mouth is...
and from what I saw on B'way on B'way the show has potential to do well. That gentleman playing Boy George (sorry, don't know his name) has a beautiful voice, looked great as BG and the song was pretty decent. I wish them luck.

re: School Productions
 Sep 6 2003, 02:49:58 PM
My school didn't even know what a PIANO was! But we had a great basketball team!
LOL!

re: Laura Benanti/calling out of performances
 Sep 3 2003, 11:11:10 PM
Worked with her in many capacities onstage...she NEVER missed a performance or a rehearsal and NEVER acted the diva. Truly a talent and a professional.
re: article about Bway Salaries
 Aug 30 2003, 11:46:51 AM
Let's not forget the numbers here...at the most on any given week, there might be 2,000 tickets sold for a Broadway show compared to the million$ per week in movie tickets sold.
recordings...
 May 13 2003, 03:10:46 PM
I am positive that the reason that a recording wasn't made was because of the prohibitive loss of money from the production and the egregious head-butting that occured during it's very short run...trust me...I was there.

Himself

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You