News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Dover

Dover Profile Photo
Member Name: Dover
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
 Mar 1 2018, 11:47:54 AM

Are you guys saying they made musical cuts or re-ordered parts of the Carousel Waltz?

I haven't seen the show, and I can keep an open mind about just about anything. But hell-to-the-no if they touched one note of that.

Broadway Legend Ben Vereen Once Defended His Best Friend Bill Cosby
 Jan 5 2018, 03:14:03 PM

At some point while rehearsing Hair you're going to need to do an acting exercise in which everybody takes their clothes off. "Give me a blowjob in my hot tub" is not part of that process.

Broadway Casting Director Fired for Sexual Misconduct
 Dec 5 2017, 03:50:21 PM

To those saying it doesn't matter when the story comes out, imagine how many hundreds or thousands of people are auditioning, interviewing, and getting hired every day. The sooner we can weed out some of the bad eggs, the better. If anything, I'm dreading the article because I don't want to learn that artists I admire are less than admirable, but we all deserve an industry where people are hired for their talent and everyone is treated with respect.

Ragtime lyrics
 Dec 4 2017, 06:04:34 PM

I did Ragtime earlier this year and the licensed script/score came with several options for "He Wanted to Say." One, (which I believe was the one actually printed in the book), didn't have the song at all, and had a longer version of the scene to take its place. Then there was the original version, and there was a shortened version (which was attributed to a concert -- probably the one you mention), which had a cut in the middle -- I think it was the "two men meeting"

1994 Carousel
 Oct 29 2017, 08:19:32 PM

Audra was definitely the best thing about it. The fact that they did the "bench scene" on a big mound of grass was new and different. As one of the other posters mentioned, the fact that they didn't need to stage the show traditionally because of advances in technology was a big selling point.

When Equity performers are in Not Equity, but union productions
 Oct 24 2017, 10:57:49 AM

If you're doing a show that's considered to not be under Equity's jurisdiction (like an opera, a dance piece, a concert, TV/film, etc.) then AEA isn't involved because they have no authority over that type of performance. If the work is covered by another union, then the AEA actor would be working under that union's contract for that show. As dramamama611's post said, there's a whole thing about not working non-union in a sister union's jurisdiction, which

PRINCE OF BROADWAY Reviews
 Aug 25 2017, 09:32:05 AM

BroadwayConcierge said: "NYT always comes out at 10PM on the dot."

The last big Off-Bway show I did, the Times review came out minutes before we started our opening night performance. We were literally at places and somebody was like, "The Times review is out." "How is it?" "Terrible." "OK, don't tell anyone. Happy opening!" (sad trombone)

I know the days are long gone of staying up all ni

Why Did Wicked Lose Best Musical?
 Apr 19 2017, 11:17:02 AM

Thinking back to that time, the simplest way I can describe it is:

Everyone wanted Wicked to be the best musical in decades. People were reading the novel in anticipation of the show's premiere out of town. It was expected that it was going to get raves, be the perfect lavish musical, etc. When it opened it wasn't bad, but people's expectations weren't met.

Avenue Q kind of came out of nowhere and was far more sophisticated than anyone expected a puppet show

Majestic Theatre Question
 Apr 19 2017, 11:01:13 AM

I worked FOH there from 1995-2007. Back then they opened the theatre at half hour and the house at 7:35. Sometimes that would create a backlog where it became hard to move, but most of the time the house opened before it became obvious that there was nowhere left for arriving patrons to go. I think the idea was that patrons could get started taking care of whatever other business they had (bathroom, drinks, headsets, merch) while waiting to sit down. 

As for the speculat

re: Miss Saigon-Her or Me OR Now That I've Seen Her
 Mar 12 2017, 12:53:09 PM

Love4Cheno said: "Kevin Grey is the Engineer on the CSR and he's Caucasian."

Kevin Grey was half Asian.

Opinions on Phantom Seats for First Timer
 Mar 2 2017, 12:59:15 PM

I'm a big fan of seeing the show from the orchestra. As someone else said, K has a great view because there's no one in front of you. Also it's about eye-level with the actors which is a natural way to watch a show.

tours vs local productions
 Mar 1 2017, 02:47:19 PM

Usually a few years after a show closes on Broadway the rights are released and there will be a flurry of regional and stock theatres that do the show all around the country. 

What is the cleverest stage trick you have seen?
 Feb 18 2017, 07:54:20 PM

mailhandler777 said: "Tag said: "^Not quite a revolving chair.  The Phantom sort of slides back in the chair, and black material is pulled down in front of him.  After his disappearance, if you were to sit in the chair, you'd pretty much still be sitting on his lap."

YouTube "Phantom mishaps" and watch the one with Hugh Panero describing the rotating chair not working.

If you were to sit on the chair after you'

Broadway Actors who went to your school.
 Feb 13 2017, 05:54:27 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "I've attended two high schools and no broadway stars, though my first high school has David Hasselhoff as an alum and my second high school Has Matt Walsh as an alum"

As much as I'd like to forget it, David Hasselhoff is, technically, a Broadway star.

re: Chicago Tour question
 Oct 19 2009, 03:48:40 PM
That's a pretty good cast, if that's who's in it when it comes to your town.
re: The Broadway Show League
 Aug 1 2009, 08:27:41 PM
Yes, ushers play. Anyone who works on the show can play in the league. The rules have changed in the 10 years I have been playing, and I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it used to be that anyone who could prove they make their living in any capacity anywhere in the theatre industry (pay stubs, union card, etc.) could play for any team, so long as they were not taking away game time from people who actually work on the show.

Also, not all the teams are shows. Some are theatre o

re: LuPone Issues Response To Showstopping Vegas 'Texting' Incident
 Jun 27 2009, 03:50:30 AM
My feeling on it is that I'd prefer that when in the middle of a "real" show, a performer ignore the disruption that is only visible to them and maybe 10 audience members sitting nearby, instead of disrupting the show for one or two thousand people, most of whom probably would never have otherwise been distracted by it.

However, a concert is a different matter. As far as I'm concerned, if it's the kind of situation in which you're there to see a performer and not trying to suspend y

re: Talkin' B'way Review of Rachel York in Hello, Dolly!
 Jun 27 2009, 03:07:29 AM
Hey all. I'm the PSM on the production, maybe I can clear some stuff up.

The set is from the '94 revival. It was in storage in New Orleans during Katrina and thankfully most of it survived, but there were a few parts (like the flying Hoffman House piece for "Elegance") that did not come with the set and had to be built.

Most of the ensemble costumes are original, but the vast majority of the principals' costumes are from Costume World. I don't know if that's because the ori

re: Do stage actors get paid extra for 'appearances?'
 Jun 19 2009, 04:42:37 PM
There's a clause in the production contract that says an actor has to make themselves available for a certain amount of press (you're gonna make me look it up, aren't you?).

There are a lot of different scenarios laid out in the rule book, but the primary one is this:
"It is understood and agreed that it is part of the Actor?s job to
participate in reasonable promotional and/or publicity appearances, as
requested by Producer."

A few details:
If they are appe

re: Bret Michaels' Issues His Own Response To Tony Award Injury
 Jun 15 2009, 02:24:01 PM
All the technical failures of the show seem to point to how rushed and disorganized the throwing together of this massive production is. It was Bret Michaels so people are kind of laughing about it, but it could just as easily have been Angela Lansbury or Liza or somebody, and with a split second different timing the injuries could have been more serious.

I've never done a show so large with so little rehearsal, but I can only imagine how chaotic it must be, and thinking about the po

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You