News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for StageGuy99

StageGuy99 Profile Photo
Member Name: StageGuy99
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SMASH tanks in ratings
 Feb 7 2013, 11:28:38 AM
SMASH does have something that 30 Rock and the others don't... songs to sell on iTunes. Jordan's song already made the charts, so if the new songs continue to do well, then that's added income and more incentive for them to keep the show going.
Member Levels
 Aug 19 2012, 06:05:43 PM
Oh I wish there was a level for us long time lurkers... been a member forever, but barely ever post... mostly just read! We can be Broadway Ghost. Haha.
re: ALW's The Beautiful Game/The Boys in the Photograph
 Dec 14 2008, 11:17:55 PM
Thanks uncageg- and my apologies for not searching... I got excited... some other links I found

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/115205.html
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/120410.html

According to the second playbill article about 15% of the material is new..

ALW's The Beautiful Game/The Boys in the Photograph
 Dec 14 2008, 11:06:01 PM
So tonight when randomly browsing through ALWs website (I was pretty bored) I came across a listing for The Boys in The Photograph US Tour which is listed as being a reworked The Beautiful Game. Now I know there are many people that aren't fans of ALW, but I was able to see TBG in London and absolutely loved it. I wasnt aware that he was re-working the show for a North American remounting.

The link goes to the Mirvish theatre in Canada, but ALW's page lists it as a US tour, so not sure if it's coming to US theatres after the Mirvish. Also, ALWs page still just lists The Beautiful Game, with no mention of a new title or re-working. Does anyone know of anything about this? I'm interested in learning more...

The links I've cited are below-

http://www.mirvish.com/theatreseason/boys.html
http://www.reallyuseful.com/tickets/buy-tickets#us-and-canada
http://www.reallyuseful.com/shows/the-beautiful-game

re: Little mermaid soundtrack
 Mar 24 2008, 08:55:03 AM
IAMmyown-

I've seen the show and do enjoy Sheri a lot. I think she was stellar, however I agree with you completely about Norm. He looks awesome, but his performance was truly awful in my opinion. Utterly surprisingly awful.

re: Disney's Book Of Theatre
 Dec 10 2007, 09:35:44 PM
Some people just hate disney and complain about everything they do. Bobby posted a thread about it the other day complainging about the book too.

If you don't like it, dont buy it, if you dont like Disney dont go to their shows. There are plenty of people that do like them and will go to the show and buy their stuff. It's not the end of the world.

Broadway Nights
 Dec 10 2007, 09:16:10 PM
Hey all,

Just picked up the book Broadway Nights by Seth Rudetsky and wanted to reccomend it around. It's a novel but reads like an autobiography of a gay man who works as a sub pianist on broadway. Wicked funny and quick commentary and amusing writing. I'm about half way through and havent been able to put the book down. Read three chapters before even leaving the bookstore.

Normally i dont pay much attention to quotes on the cover, but Betty Buckley, Andrea Martin, Bruce Vil

re: Worst Broadway Audience Ever?
 Dec 10 2007, 07:33:44 PM
I posted this a long time ago, but think about it everytime someone brings up rude audience members... Saw it on Craig's list one day...

To: Guy Who Screamed Obscenities at the Ballet the Other Night:

Date: 2007-05-07, 11:59AM PDT

It was Don Quixote, a rather fun full-length ballet, nobody dies like in the dreary Giselle or Swan Lake.

Another fantastic performance by the SF Ballet. I know you enjoyed it. Our whole section knows you enjoyed it. Eve

re: Musicals With Small Casts (or shows that can be done with a small cast)
 Dec 10 2007, 06:49:38 PM
I second Bat Boy... you can do it with 10 and its a great and fun show, especially for a college aged group.
re: 'Broadway slow to embrace product placement.'
 Dec 10 2007, 06:37:20 PM
I think if it can be done right and in the right show, it could be ok. I was fine with all the real life products in LB, and thought it was fine and nothing that pulled me out of the moment (which I feel like if they drank OrangeBull or something silly like that it would have)

That being said, shows like Blonde it can work fine it, but there are plenty of shows, such as period pieces that I don't think it would work in, and hope we never need to see Phantom 2 with a giant chandalier fr

re: Awful Musical Ideas
 Dec 10 2007, 06:28:50 PM
I just posted about it in the what the hell?! thread, but two shows that I've seen that were awful musical ideas were a musical version of Macbeth and a musical version of Antigone called "Antigone's Last Dance" and described as a hip-hopera. Please know that as awful as it sounds, it's nothing compared to what it was. Pain and torture!
re: '...The HELL?!' moments in productions
 Dec 10 2007, 01:28:46 AM
In college we used to do showcases in the city with some of our sister schools, my department tended to do something that was creating in one of the senior acting or directing classes, that I would normally just shake my head over. However it could never be compared to our sister school who's director would each year write a musical based on a famous work. We were "blessed" with "MacBeth 2000" or my favorite "Antigone's Last Dance" the story of Antigone set as a "hip-hopera" complete with video
re: Shows that were panned but you loved
 Dec 9 2007, 10:24:11 PM
Add my name to the Wedding Singer and Aida lists, but I want to second The Civil War, I dont know what about it, but I can listen to that score all the time. Another one is Beautiful Game. Saw it in in the West End, dont know what sort of reviews it was getting over there, but i know it didnt last long, and never had a chance of coming here.
re: The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Transformation ... & Stage Door
 Dec 8 2007, 09:03:35 PM
I dont really think I'm the cynical one here... but ok...
re: Just got back from 'Sweeney Todd'
 Dec 8 2007, 08:51:23 PM
this has to be one of the weirdest/dumbest conversations in a while, and that's saying something for this board! You do know you are asking a bunch of strangers on how best to sneak out of your house, a place that we have never seen. And I would just like to ask how exactly you can be an "ex-stonor" at age 14?

Can we all just go back to talking about how excited we are to see Sweeny?! Cause i know I am!

re: The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Transformation ... & Stage Door
 Dec 8 2007, 05:23:51 PM
Well put BrianS

If you don't like a show, dont go see it, if you don't like Disney on Broadway or the Wickeds or Legally Blondes, don't go see them. But don't go getting holier than thou on them, as they are perfectly fine shows that are employing a hell of a lot of people for doing their craft. There are plenty of other places to get the more artistic side of theatre! Go there and support them too and be nice to the people that don't know about it and enjoy the "theme park broadway" an

re: Has Spring Awakening been collecting for Broadway Cares since the strik
 Dec 8 2007, 05:19:01 PM
Saw Little Mermaid the friday after teh strike ended and they were not collecting, which goes along with the shows in previews not collecting.
re: Just got back from 'Sweeney Todd'
 Dec 7 2007, 09:40:38 PM
Brody-

I can defiently see where you're coming from, and maybe I'm the exception- but I had never seen the original and totally loved the revival. I will even go so far as to say I had bought the CD prior to going to see the show and hated it, but utterly fell in love with the minamlistic style and actors/musicians. (It did take a while to catch on to the plot and what was going on, but once you get in to it, it was one hell of a ride!) I can't wait for the movie!

re: Disney's Book and Holiday Postcard
 Dec 6 2007, 04:21:54 PM
I dont think it says or implys anywhere in the book they they are the only shows on broadway. But they are using the shows they have access to. Im sure that yes, they thought that a kid might be more interested in seeing a show, once they read about how they do Rafiki's make up or the set design of Lion King, but theatre is a buisness. The book is geared towards a younger audience, giving them a look behind all the "magic" that is a big broadway show. As someone with a degree in tech theatre, I
re: Is Little Mermaid that bad?
 Dec 6 2007, 04:09:19 PM
I saw the show 2nd day back after strike, and the show has great potential and some amazing actresses in Sherie and Sierra. But I have to agree with Jaystarr's summing it all up with it just doesnt have the magic and wow factor that Lion King, Aida, or BatB had (havent seen Poppins yet, and we won't talk about Tarzan). However, there are plenty of people that love it- Without a Trace being one of them! I say give it a show, at the very lest Sherie and Sierra are awesome!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You