News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for davp

Member Name: davp
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Mary Poppins the "Definitive" Supercalifragilistic 2020 Cast Recording  Nov 7 2020, 12:08:54 PM

Does anyone know if this live performance was professionally filmed when they were recording the audio?  Just wondering if we can expect to see a video of the production at some point down the road, or maybe after it eventually closes.

Actors With Unhealthy Singing Technique?  Jul 14 2020, 01:56:30 PM

Every time I listen to Harvey Fierstein sing, I wonder how he could possibly not be destroying his voice.

What's next for HERCULES?  Jan 18 2020, 08:12:45 PM

Gavin Lee sang songs from Hercules during his "Disney on Broadway" concert performance this evening at Epcot. Of course that doesn't mean it'll be coming to Broadway, but it was nice that he included it. 

New Disney musicals  May 29 2019, 10:59:06 PM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "davp said: "What about Hunchback? From what I heard, the production in Germany received wide acclaim, but haven't heard anything about it since."

It received acclaim in La Jolla as well. My understanding is that the size of the show and chorus would be too expensive to cover. But I don’t know. I think it would be such a hit
"

Too bad.  Agree that it would probably be a hit. The concern over cast size and prohibitive production cost sounds a lot like why Cameron M wouldn't bring his London Oliver revival to Broadway a few years ago.  Again, such a shame, given that, based on the preview video, it looked like an amazing production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RtkJjcyzjM

New Disney musicals  May 29 2019, 09:04:58 PM

What about Hunchback?  From what I heard, the production in Germany received wide acclaim, but haven't heard anything about it since.

Raunchiest Songs in Musical Theatre  Apr 3 2019, 11:23:58 PM

The Heat is On in Saigon from Miss Saigon has some pretty raunchy lines.

Largest theaters that regularly host touring productions  Jan 27 2019, 09:58:19 PM

I recently saw the current tour of Hello Dolly at Gammage Auditorium in Tempe Arizona from a seat near the very back of the balcony section, and thankfully I had binoculars with me.

With a capacity of 3017 seats (all of which are used for theatrical productions) Gammage seems quite large compared to most current Broadway theaters in New York (I believe the largest Broadway house in NY has just over 1900 seats).

It got me wondering whether there are any other theater

Live video on Broadway  Jan 22 2019, 11:24:18 PM

Rocky the Musical

Shows that should have made it to Broadway, but never did??  Nov 25 2018, 05:16:55 PM

John Adams said: "I secondRebecca.

I saw Whistle Down the Windin the West End and in spite of some recycling of melodies, I thought it should have played on Broadway.
"

Agree with what’s been said here about Whistle Down the Wind.  One of ALW’s best scores I think. 

Phoenix Area - I'm selling 1 TKT for Dear Evan Hansen tour 12/1 @ Gammage  Nov 25 2018, 02:03:58 PM

For anyone in the Phoenix area, I am selling 1 extra ORCH ticket that I have for the Dear Evan Hansen tour at ASU Gammage on Sat Evening 12/1/18 @ 7:30pm.   Row 6, center orchestra, one of the best seats in the house. $95.  If interest please PM me.  Thanks.

Tootsie - Chicago tryout  Sep 12 2018, 04:30:06 AM

Did any songs from the film make it into the musical?  Particularly Stephen Bishop's "It Might Be You"?

Bway songs that pay homage to the Solar Eclipse  Aug 19 2017, 02:57:41 PM

The two I can think of are "Da-Doo" from Little Shop (...there was a total eclipse of the sun...), and "With One Look" from Sunset Boulevard (...with one glance, I eclipse the sun...)

Any others? 

Favorite Broadway Musical Flops?  Jul 10 2017, 10:24:34 PM

Whistle Down the Wind, which never made it beyond it's DC pre-Broadway run to the Martin Beck Theater (where the marquee was already up).  The story may have been a bit out there, but I think it's one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's best scores.

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews  Mar 29 2017, 11:29:38 PM

Just looked at the song list and see that they cut the one good song from the London Production -- Simply Second Nature.  Don't understand that decision at all.  It was a beautiful song.

Favorite Act One Finale?  Jan 9 2017, 09:47:22 PM

I'd Give My Life for You - Miss Saigon

Best and Worst Songs Added to Disney Musicals  Nov 8 2016, 09:49:09 PM

I kind of like the song "Me!" that was added to Beauty and the Beast.

MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA  Oct 12 2016, 11:29:35 PM

Looks like the DVD is back up on Amazon UK for preorder. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-Saigon-25th-Anniversary-Performance/dp/B01M040H2D

MISS SAIGON IN THE CINEMA  Sep 12 2016, 09:12:51 PM

This looks like it's going to be fantastic.  Though the one day they're having it, it's already sold out at the only theater in my city.

What are the odds they'll add additional showtimes and/or another day besides 9/22?  Saw this in London, and it's truly a spectacular production.

Whistle Down The Wind??  Feb 8 2015, 10:25:53 AM
It really is a shame that this show couldn't become more than it was. It's one of the few 2-disk ALW cast recordings that I can listen to in its entirity without feeling the need to skip over any of the songs. I thought the score was extremelu well written, with so many beautiful, wonderful melodies. I would love to see this show get a 2nd chance.

Musicals that Make Subtle Tributes to Other Musicals  Nov 3 2014, 09:01:20 AM
I recently saw the fantastic revival of Miss Saigon in London, and got a kick out of the very subtle tribute that was made during the show to The Book of Mormon (I won't reveal what it is, but anyone that's seen it should understand what I'm referring to).

And The Book of Mormon itself offers a subtle nod during the show to The Lion King.

Are there many musicals where subtle tributes of this type to other shows are made?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You