News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for topiflo

Member Name: topiflo
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jeremy Jordan playing Leo in PARADE
 Dec 18 2014, 06:13:23 PM
This is a pretty ridiculous sub-discussion. You know how to avoid these conversations about actors' Jewish backgrounds? Stop saying that Jews can't play Jews, or aren't plausible as playing Jews, or don't look like Jews, or any variations on this theme.

cknick explicitly said "Jewish", in relation to the actor/character. That would mean they brought the topic up.

@haterobics Yes it does. It's ridiculous and beyond racist to say someone is implausible playing an Italian from N

Dec 18 2014, 06:05:29 PM
cknick was comparing Leo Frank's Jewishness to Jeremy Jordan's (alleged) lack thereof. Isn't this obvious? Do I really have to explain it?

If someone said, "Al Pacino doesn't resemble an Italian from New York", don't you think it would be fair to say that Pacino's Italian background has just been brought up?

Dec 18 2014, 05:59:50 PM
cknick brought up the Jewish thing.
 Dec 18 2014, 05:49:27 PM
Actually, cknick was the one who brought up the Jewish thing, saying Jeremy Jordan doesn't look like "a skinny Jew from Brooklyn" (Leo Frank was born in Texas, like I said, although he did move to New York; p.s., do skinny Jews in Brooklyn look different from skinny Jews from Texas?).

It is pretty ironic to bring up the Jewish thing as a strike 'against' the first actual Jewish actor to play the role! (not to mention the first actor who was born in the same state as Leo Frank)

Dec 18 2014, 05:05:17 PM
How do you know he doesn't identify as Jewish again? For one thing, he was raised by his single Jewish mother. If he isn't religious, he would have that in common with most American Jews.

I have no idea why the actor's background is relevant. You'll have to ask the people who keep bringing it up. I never start these discussions, I just finish them.

Dec 18 2014, 08:15:28 AM
BTW, the other major productions of Parade starred Brent Carver, David Pittu, Bertie Carvel, and T. R. Knight, none of whom are Jewish.

Congratulations to Jeremy Jordan for being the first Jewish actor to play Leo Frank in Parade.

Dec 18 2014, 12:39:39 AM
"He is half Jewish"

Last time I checked, Ben Stiller, Liev Schreiber, Zach Braff, Shia LaBeouf, Jason Segel, Lea Michele, and Adam Goldberg were all also ancestrally only "half Jewish" (and the list goes on and on). And I won't even get started on 1/4 Jew Jay Baruchel and total non-Jew Jason Biggs.

If the criteria to be a Jew is that you have to be of fully Jewish descent, quite a lot of people you seem to consider "Jewish" would be out.

It would also mean that f

Any $50 tickets?
 Dec 16 2014, 08:38:45 PM
For pete's sake, Jeremy Jordan IS Jewish.

Leo Frank was born in Texas in 1884, and later moved to New York. Jeremy Jordan was born in Texas in 1984, and apparently has been to New York.

This casting could literally not be more accurate in terms of ethno-geographical accuracy.

Leo was even lynched in August 1915, which means Jordan will be almost exactly the same age.

Broadway.com Reporting Jeremy Jordan to star in LAST FIVE YEARS film
 Feb 22 2013, 06:46:26 PM
Such insight all around here with these comments!
Broadway.com Reporting Jeremy Jordan to star in LAST FIVE YEARS film
 Feb 21 2013, 11:45:19 PM
Such insight all around here with these comments!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You