News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Phantom05

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Member Name: Phantom05
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.myspace.com/mjaonstage
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Stephanie J. Block's next role?  Sep 5 2009, 03:03:09 PM
I know they are work-shopping the new Rebbecca musical with Pia Douwes as Ms. Danvers, but I would love to see Stephanie J. Block in this role. She so intense onstage and vocally the role would be amazing with her voice! Just a thought!
re: PHOTO CALL: A Preview of 9 to 5: The Musical at House of Blues  Apr 1 2008, 01:04:08 AM
I love how sweet Dolly Parton is...You just want to hug her, lol!

I am really excited for this. After being a huge fan of the movie, I can definitely see the 'musical' potential far more than some other shows that have opened in the past few years, and with how personal the material probably is for Dolly, I'll bet the music she's writing is going to be fantastic for the story!

...And what a cast with Janney, Hilty, Block, and Kudisch!!!

re: Stephen Trask To Adapt CLUELESS For The Stage?  Jan 15 2008, 11:21:35 PM
Okay so before anyone craps all over this idea lets think about the fact that a large part of Clueless' basis is "Emma"...What fantastic material to pull from! There should be no reason to worry about it being overshadowed by Legally Blonde, because frankly, Clueless is about ten times the movie in quality, writing, casting, and every other which way! It's great stuff! I think it's an great choice of movie-to-musical, and really hope this is something that will be in the works!
re: Rebecca on Broadway  Dec 23 2007, 12:37:05 AM
Okay, so let me say this...The cast recording is, in my opinion, pretty good but does not nearly display the musical range of the show. However, after purchasing the complete live recording of the production on I-Tunes, it is absolutely one of the most exciting things I have heard in a long time. Those that have been lucky enough to see it in Vienna already know that is is visually stunning and so well directed, but with this recording you can truly get an idea of just how exciting the show re
re: Andrew lloyd webber ?  Jul 20 2007, 12:35:42 AM
Oh my goodness, in reply to something lickthelightbulb said:

"I think the thing with ALW is he's so much more opera, so much less musical theatre, or atleast, what we call it. He doesn't have really very many upbeat songs, or atleast ones that are happy. Happy/upbeat... ah, w/e.

I think the problem with the songs everyone's mentioned is they're girl songs. ALW probably didn't know exactly how difficult it was for someone to sing because he couldn't do it himself."

- -

re: Marie Antoinette: the Musical?  Feb 22 2007, 03:50:02 AM
The only musical version of Marie Antoinette that I know to be open currently, is the Michael Kunze & Sylvester Levay version in Japan. I have only seen production photos, but they look stunning in any case. The recording is due out in mid-March.

These two men are easily two of the most brilliant creators of musical theatre. Their most recent collaboration, 'Rebecca Das Musical,' based on the Daphne Du Maurier novel was given rave reviews from critics all over the world. British cri

re: Wicked to be performed in Germany by the end of '07  Dec 30 2006, 11:54:36 PM
I don't know what I think of Aris Sas as Fiyero...I saw him live and he kind of blew chunks...But I think Wicked will be huge in Germany, it's a style of music that tends to do well in Europe.

Lizzie - I just wanted to make sure that you knew 'Stella' no longer exists. Vereinigten Buhnen Wien has acted as the saving company for Stella, as has Stage Entertainment, originally Stage Holding. Don't knock Stella's efforts, they were able to produce some wonderful shows and are currently go

re: Sleepy Hollow aims for the Broadway Stage  Jul 17 2006, 12:14:38 AM
My only problem with this version of the classic, is the fact that the headless horseman seems to no longer be the prominent figure that he is in everyone's mind. This story wouldn't have been a success without the character of the headless horseman, so why not utilize that?

I have read the book many times and find it really enjoyable, but to be perefctly honest, if the 1999 Tim Burton version had been the originally novelized work, it would have been the success. I would love to see

re: IS Rent a Musical?  Jun 9 2006, 02:37:08 PM
Rent is written more in the style of an operetta, but I'm not disagreeing that is is usually catagorized as a musical. However Phantom of the Opera is an operetta as well, and was written in that style. Phantom, however, isn't and was not defined by that style of writing...POTO is considered a musical in the same fashion as RENT, but neither were written with the intent of being a "book musical."

Phantom05

re: IS Rent a Musical?  Jun 9 2006, 01:11:10 PM
Kringas / jasobres:

I agree with operetta! The term "rock-operetta" would make is sound a bit lame, but POTO is an operetta as well. Whichever way you want to look at it, there is a difference between an operetta (which contains music AND dialogue) and a musical (which ALSO contains music AND dialogue), but most of the differences rest within the style of the libretto and composition. Opera / Operetta and Musical Theatre are different worlds when you get write down to it, but at leas

re: Wildhorns 'Rudolf' to premiere  May 28 2006, 12:24:55 AM
"Dracula" received nothing more than mediocre reviews when it opened in St. Gallen. I attended one of the performances in '05 and was pretty stunned at how bad it was. German critics were not generous and no one was willing to take the show further. Neither "Jekyll and Hyde" nor "The Scarlett Pimpernel" received good reviews as well. Franks "over-the-top-pop" style is a bit more appealing, but any great word of mouth referencing one of his shows deals in regards to one of is actors (Drew Sar
re: Wildhorns 'Rudolf' to premiere  May 27 2006, 07:19:13 PM
I honestly can't express how annoyed I am by this musical. I do realize that it focus' on Crown-Prince Rudolf, however I feel that Wildhorn is pathetically unoriginal. If any musical dealing with the Hapsburg Dynasty were to appear in America it should without a doubt be the Michael Kunze and Sylvester Levay musical "Elisabeth." The musical is brilliantly written and scored, by two of the best creators of their craft. It's true, Wildhorn does have a bit more of a presence/success in Germany
re: New Tale of Two Cities Target Dates  May 10 2006, 02:09:49 PM
"Broadway needs this real musical to come to the stage."

- Does this mean that all of the other musicals currently running in New York aren't "real" musicals, they're "fake" musicals?

"Enough of the comedy and fiction shows, we need history."

- Charles Dickens' story is fictional, lol. The era and setting are quite historical, but the characters themselves are not real people, making the story fictional.

"Tale is going to be the best show on Broadway!!!"

re: Lestat Reviews  Apr 26 2006, 01:27:28 PM
- I saw it it San Fran, not yet on Broadway, but everyone is using words like "trashed, flop, etc.," and to be perfectly honest, these reviews aren't nearly as bad as the previous "undead" musicals. These reviews are "lower - end - mediocre" at best, but certainly not "trashed." The show will probably run for quite a while and honestly, ticket sales have been quite favorable. I will probably end up seeing it in NYC pretty soon. Who's to say that the creative team won't continue tweaking thro
re: Vampire Musicals  Apr 3 2006, 03:35:46 AM
SayitSomehow -

To be perfectly honest I do believe Andrew Lloyd Webber would fare well with a vampire musical, if anyone decides to revisit the idea after these last three. He certainly has a flare for the "gothic," and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has the capacity to write in a "gothic-romance" style. His music is truly remarkable for this genre, or topic I should say. If it ever happened, I do believe it would be a good deal more complex and compelling than the vam

re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!  Mar 28 2006, 05:20:56 PM
"One of these days, long after this closes, people will take the risk once again to try once more to make a great musical about vampires. They will get all the best talent around and they will put their heart and soul into it...

...And they will fail like all the rest."

You must have superhuman powers and be able to see way into the future, predicting what critics will say and how the mind of every audience member will work, or you're just a negative person who doesn

re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!  Mar 28 2006, 03:41:23 PM
Okay, a few things...

- To the first post of this thread....I can't believe that half of what's opening or on Broadway right now is on Broadway.

"It should be clear that, unless it's on a small scale, vampire musicals will be laughed out of American theatre. So take "Lestat" elsewhere, with some reworking, and it would probably be a big success."

- I don't entirely know what this says about America, lol. In regards to Dance of the Vampires, Tanz Der Vampire is an EN

re: Broadway Festival Video Up!!  Mar 7 2006, 12:57:55 PM
P.S...

I forgot to mention others, lol...

I am very unimpressed so far with A Tale of Two Cities and Ring of Fire, however, Color Purple, Avenue Q, Chicago, and Rent seem fabulous. I was also loving the moment from Beauty and the Beast, she sounds fabulous.

WICKED ON THE OTHER HAND...What a terrible rendition of "Wizard and I," my ears hurt now!

All in all, I would've loved to have been there in person...Looks like fun!

Bye Again, lol!

Phant

re: Broadway Festival Video Up!!  Mar 7 2006, 12:48:26 PM
Well, now I am definitely excited about seeing LESTAT when it opens. I know that a lot of you are saying that the material is bad, but they have been doing a lot of rewriting, it seems. Hopefully the finalized Broadway product will be a much more recognizeable story. I think that it is incredible material for a musical, and after the San Fran tryout, I think they have realized what they need to trim, cut, add, redo, etc., and I am going to remain optimistic until I have seen the finalized prod
re: New JEKYLL & HYDE: RESURRECTION Sound Clips  Feb 27 2006, 05:26:00 PM
I disagree with the comment "a musical is a mucial, and pop-rock is pop-rock"...The word "musical" does not denote a type of music, just a style of theatre. While I don't personally like the clips, I don't have a problem with musicals having a pop/rock score. I do think that a musical should lend itself to the period of the story that it's trying to convey, but hey, if the story takes place today then why not use modern scoring? Don't lump musical theatre in with one style of music, because i
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You