News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bwaydude22089

Member Name: bwaydude22089
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Little Shop Cast Recording  Dec 20 2019, 07:41:01 AM

Tammy Blanchard's "Somewhere That's Green" reprise is heartbreaking. Kind of loving her new and unique interpretation of Audrey. 

Hugh Jackman in The Music Man  Mar 19 2019, 09:17:38 AM
Apparently the actress playing Marian is someone who hasn’t been seen on Broadway in several years. I would love to see (and hear) Megan Hilty play the part, or Anika Noni Rose.
Just let it go  Jan 4 2015, 04:22:44 PM
Wow! That performance of "Heart On Her Sleeve" is incredible. So raw and moving. I think that was back in 2002 or 2003, right about when she started in Wicked. Before she won the Tony. She gets so into it! Love it Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she wrote that song, yes?

Just let it go  Jan 2 2015, 07:10:26 PM
Hahaha! I love that Japanese special she did. It's so awkward but in such a cute way. Did she record that earlier in the day? Or a few days ago?

I think that performance is in the original film key as well, correct? Anyway, she looks fantastic and sounds great

Just let it go  Jan 2 2015, 02:40:49 PM
Also... Not to start a whole "She's better than... " debate, but where some people succeed effortlessly, others have to do some work. Someone said that Kerry Ellis can out sing Idina any day. That may be true. Kerry has a very strong, heavy voice. However, I would MUCH rather watch Idina act the role of Elphaba over Kerry. I've seen them both play the role on more than one occasion. Kerry is dead behind the eyes. That being said, you can't deny she has a fantastic singing voice. My point again i
Just let it go  Jan 2 2015, 12:43:19 AM
I agree. You can't say something is torturous to sing. Some songs simply sit better with certain performers. I don't think Idina should be singing Let It Go in its original key. She probably rehearsed the song a bunch back during filming and nailed it. However, now, she should be singing it in the lower key. Someone like Willemijn Verkaik could probably sing it day after day with no problem. It just sits more comfortably in her range.
I don't think anyone is saying the If/Then score is extremely difficult to sing in terms of its range. However, I will say Idina is on stage A LOT in that show. She is also switching back and forth between two renditions of the same character for over 2 and a half hours. She must go from one story to another and revert back to a mindset from a previous scene instantaneously. It's not the easiest role to do I'm sure.
That being said, I haven't really heard too many complaints regarding her voice in the show. From what I hear, she's holding up well. Someone I know saw the show recently and said she's even better now that when she started the run.

Just a clunky performance the other night. That's that I'd rather that than see someone lipsync!

Just let it go  Jan 2 2015, 12:33:56 AM
Saw her in If/Then on the 27th. Sounded incredible. A little raspy in places, but incredible overall. Plus, she's definitely known for having a somewhat raspy voice.

I won't lie, her performance on New Year's Eve was not great by any means.It wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard. I'm glad she's jazzing it up a little bit in places so it doesn't sound the same every single time. I'm just trying to justify it. There's nothing wrong with trying to justify a poor performance. I also don'

Just let it go  Jan 1 2015, 11:52:07 PM
It was one iffy performance. Overall, I think she sounds healthier than she's sounded in a long time. Especially for doing as much as she's doing.
Just let it go  Jan 1 2015, 11:42:19 PM
To piggyback off of the last comment, Idina, like many other Broadway performers, has had a very busy performance schedule these last 2 weeks. I'm constantly amazed by how much she manages to squeeze into each day/night. For someone with a strong but fragile voice like hers, it was only a matter of time. I hope she takes some rest now that the holidays are over. Hopefully she can do a little less promoting and just relax back into her normal weekly schedule.

Just let it go  Jan 1 2015, 09:15:20 PM
She's also been performing on different television shows a lot lately. I'd say at least two or three performances a week for the past 2 months or so. The tree lighting, Kelly & Michael, Jimmy Fallon, the Morning Show, her IHeartRadio concert, etc. She even flew over to London for less than 24 hours to sing with Michael Buble a few weeks ago. All this plus the 8 shows a week. It's a lot more than most other Broadway performers are doing. I'm not using this as an excuse but I feel like last night
Just let it go  Jan 1 2015, 08:42:36 PM
Unfortunately, I think that when she performs for millions of people (the Tonys, the Oscars, in Times Square), her nerves get the best of her. When she performs in a Broadway theatre or at a concert, she's usually pretty great. Like everywhere in life, the bad always outshines the good in terms of news and discussion. Her performance at the Tonys this past year was incredible. Her performance of Let It Go at her concert at Radio City this past summer was also pretty spectacular. There is something very unique about the way she performs, both acting and singing. There's a very engaging quality about her. Here are some videos of her singing Let It Go live. Her voice also sounds much better live than when fed through a mic on a television. It comes across very shrill on television. I was surprised how different her voice came across in person in If/Then. Much more pleasurable to listen to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPim-NN3mQ (with Jennifer Nettles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5hpv_Ji5_s (her holiday concert)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJQ1-ExcJ7Q (her Radio City concert)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keLs70u1fCE (curtain call of If/Then)

I agree with the masses though. She needs to sing the song in a lower key. Her performance on New Year's Eve sounded like it was accompanied by the film's karaoke track in the original key. That clearly doesn't sit well in her day to day vocal range. She has a pretty low voice, which is actually quite refreshing. She also needs to prepare some alternate notes. She should have just stayed on the same note as "rage" but that's in hindsight. She takes risks. I like that about her!

Idina Menzel on UK X Factor  Dec 8 2014, 11:06:44 AM
I must be watching a different video altogether. I was smiling from beginning to end. I too think she sounds fine. This is what she sounds like. I guess if you don't like it, you don't care for her, which is totally fine! But this is definitely not her in "bad voice" as many have said. It looks to me like they had one or two rehearsals and then were told "Ok, just have fun with it!" which is exactly what they did. People need to loosen up a little bit. I don't think this was ever intended to be
Idina Menzel on UK X Factor  Dec 7 2014, 06:44:55 PM
I have no idea why people are saying negative things about this performance. It's a cute rendition of a playful holiday song. I think they both sound great. It's just a little side performance. Not supposed to be the huge standout. She sounds great. Very jazzy and free. She has been sounding great lately on television. The Country Christmas special, her rendition of Silent Night on the Morning Show, and this. All these random, sporadic performances in addition to doing 8 shows a week (with the v
Idina's call out rate  Jul 15 2014, 11:17:38 PM
That's nothing. Back when she opened Wicked on Broadway, she didn't miss a show until the end of March 2004. That means she went nearly 6 months without missing a performance.
It's Time For Ellen Greene To Come Back To Broadway  May 8 2014, 12:45:23 PM
A few years ago, I thought she would have been an excellent replacement for Katie Finneran's character in Promises, Promises. They went ahead with Molly Shannon, who was definitely enjoyable, but I still think Ellen would have been a better choice. It's a perfect role for her. That voice! The comedy, the song... Everything about it.
Adele Dazeem the 21st Century Broadway Star  Mar 19 2014, 03:33:48 PM
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned her performance in See What I Wanna See. It was off-Broadway and during an awkward transition point in her career. It was after her huge success in Wicked but also the failure of the Rent movie. I think, next to her performance in Wicked, it was her best acting work. A very unique performance. I think she was actually better in that than she is in If/Then (and I've seen the show already twice). Idina is an interesting performer. Her process is very
Donna Vivino leaving Wicked  Nov 1 2013, 01:10:04 AM
Do you have any idea whether she'll be performing in the 2pm show, the 7pm show, or both?
ALW's The Wizard of Oz broadway  Jul 2 2013, 09:06:24 PM
I believe that almost all of the cut verses appear in the RSC version. I know that they are featured in Over the Rainbow, all of the "If I Only Had a
..." songs, Ther Merry Old Land of Oz, and King of the Forest. Everyone should give the original RSC recording a listen to. Brilliant orchestrations and Gillian Bevan has such a unique voice as Dorothy. Most of the tracks are on "that sight." Just listen to ALW's Twister and the RSC Twister and you'll have your answer as to which is the superi

ALW's The Wizard of Oz broadway  Jun 30 2013, 04:58:49 PM
I hope not. This production takes a story that is deep, moving, and highly thematic and turns it into a theme park, bubble gum, hybrid mess. The 1987 RSC adaptation of the film, to me, is flawless. It is the version that is commonly performed in high schools and regional theatres. Instead of trimming the dialogue, it develops it further. Instead of reducing the songs, it adds dance music and wonderful orchestrations (based on the original film score). The second act opens with Optimistic Voices,
Matilda Curtain  Jun 30 2013, 03:10:44 AM
Saw it today. Worked perfectly. The letters spelling out "Matilda" are still there. The curtain/scrim fades into it. The prelude is only about a minute. I think it actually works much better this way. Makes the opening more official/clear.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You