News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jason Shatz

Jason Shatz Profile Photo
Member Name: Jason Shatz
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Best Plays ABOUT Pandemics (Or Smaller Outbreaks)  May 27 2020, 09:51:49 PM

jpbran said: "Angels in America is about AIDS, both directly and indirectly. The Normal Heart. Was there ever a stage version of And The Band Plays On?

(EDIT: perhaps AIDS falls into the epidemicvs. pandemic category)
"

And now we've lost Larry Kramer.  He was working on another play about another pandemic, only to breathe his last before he could express his final thoughts.  RIP

Ruin a Broadway Musical by Changing One Letter  May 24 2020, 10:13:52 PM

THE MUSIC BAN

LIX

LENT

SWELT CHARITY

CABAROT

LITTER SWEET

CALL MY MADAM

PORGY AND BOSS

PORGY AND MESS

DISS ME, KATE

Best Plays ABOUT Pandemics (Or Smaller Outbreaks)  May 18 2020, 11:24:09 PM

On THE CHILDREN: Well, the themes would be similar, yes.

Best Plays ABOUT Pandemics (Or Smaller Outbreaks)  May 15 2020, 04:03:04 PM

An AIDS outbreak would definitely count.

Best Plays ABOUT Pandemics (Or Smaller Outbreaks)  May 15 2020, 03:54:55 PM

A lot of threads on this chat board are, justifiably, about the effects of the current pandemic on the theatre.  Meanwhile, I'm sure that there are several plays about an outbreak of disease and its consequences - be it a local outbreak, a pandemic, or anything in between.  In fact, I've thought of ideas for potential plays about the current pandemic (i.e. a journalist trying to gather facts about the outbreak by conducting remote interviews from an a

Renovations While Theatres Are Closed  May 5 2020, 04:39:57 PM

I agree regarding the constraints.  And in my original question, I wasn't necessarily thinking about cosmetic alterations as much as I was thinking of ones that health and safety warrant.  For instance, "clean up that disgusting bathroom in the (insert theatre here)" or "replace a dirty water fountain in the (insert theatre here)". 

Renovations While Theatres Are Closed  May 4 2020, 04:35:40 PM

It looks like the theaters will be closed for a while. (Personally, I predict the fall at earliest, but most likely next year, whenever we have mass distribution of treatments or, better yet, a vaccine.)

Anyway, it seems like the perfect time for theaters to undergo whatever much-needed renovations can be done, particularly in making sure that the spaces are clean once it is safe again for audiences to gather.  What renovations do you think can and should be accomplished at t

Once Upon a One More Time to Marquis  Jan 17 2020, 11:13:21 AM

So, another jukebox show in a barn - and this barn in particular?  I hope the "Rialto chatter" is just that.  Otherwise, I think this will be yet another flop at the Marquis...

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/14/19  Jul 15 2019, 05:35:55 PM

Toot, toot, TOOTSIE, goodbye...

With HOH and OOTI closing, what's on the chopping block next?  Nov 28 2018, 01:48:05 PM

I don't know, but to see three shows post notices in as many days - and not because of the Tony nominations or awards - is kind of astounding.  They're dropping like flies!

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/24/18  Jun 25 2018, 03:58:47 PM

Well, it's still going strong.  And who would have thought, ten years ago, that shows like Dear Evan HansenCome From Away, and The Book of Mormon would become smash hits on Broadway, while the likes of Spider-Man would flop?!  l think that's a good sign.

It looks like it's time for Kinky Boots to post a closing notice...

petition to rename Booth Theater after Lin Manuel miranda  Mar 22 2018, 12:14:56 AM

ABitOnTheSide said: "Wow, OP enraged me. I can't believe the stupidity of some people. Edwin Booth, with the exception of Edwin Forrest, was the greatest actor of the 19th century. I realize you're young but for God's sake do your homework kiddo. Here, I'll even help you.Wikipedia is your friend

Also, Lin Manuel Miranda is not some Moses who led Broadway to equality. There were a lot of people who came before him y'know.
"

To further clarify for those who are confused:  

The Booth Theatre is not named after John Wilkes Booth, who killed a Lincoln.  It is named after Edwin Booth, who saved a Lincoln.  (Namely, the president's son.)  

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/11/18  Feb 13 2018, 06:23:43 PM

BJR said: "I think it's also a question of target audience. Most New Yorkers are going to avoid something if they think it's aimed at children and families, that they'll be surrounded by noisy kids in the theatre. And frankly, from the time I went, that's not untrue."

I disagree a little bit with that statement.  Granted, the cost of attending a Broadway show is often high, especially when you're trying to get tickets for your f

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/11/18  Feb 13 2018, 12:05:21 AM

I'm more than happy to admit schadenfreude re: Spongebob.  I think that he wore out his welcome in Times Square well before his show booked a theatre. 

All joking aside, I think that this is a refreshing sign, that shows like Spongebob and Spider-Man flop and more original shows like Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, et al. are smash hits.  This is to say nothing about the quality of either of the aforementioned shows, but I know that most of us on this forum would pre

The struggling SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS  Feb 12 2018, 11:55:52 PM

RippedMan said: "I just don't think anyone - children or adults - watched Spongebob, and thought "Wow, I want to hear him sing.""

I don't think that they don't want to hear Spongebob sing - he frequently does.  

Anyway, I think that this is a refreshing sign, that shows like this flop and more original shows like Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, et al. are smash hits.  This is to say nothing about the quality of either of the af

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/26/15  Apr 27 2015, 03:28:44 PM

"OUCH Living On Love..."

If it doesn't get any Tony nominations, it's dead.  Dismal box office, rotten reviews - that just might be Tony's first casualty.

What else do you think will post notices after the nominations?  I think DOCTOR ZHIVAGO.  And look out for these in the nominations:

ON THE TOWN

THE VISIT

AIRLINE HIGHWAY

GIGI

HAND TO GOD

IT SHOULDA B

Spongebob might be coming to Broadway  Feb 25 2015, 08:59:52 PM
In a way, Spongebob already IS on Broadway. Have you seen some of the mailboxes? Furthermore, you can probably see him... well, where the hookers and dealers used to be!
Snooki does Broadway  Jan 5 2015, 09:36:07 AM
To Snooki: Fugheddaboudit.
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/23/14  Nov 24 2014, 03:22:44 PM
Is it really feasible for The Book of Mormon to switch? They have spent the last three years in a mid-sized house. They would have to use larger sets, props, etc. AND I don't think the O'Neill is willing to let go of this cash cow.

We've seen shows switch to SMALLER theaters, but BIGGER ones? I don't know if that will work.

It seems like CHICAGO has no chance of beating PHANTOM's record-breaking run. I don't think it has much time left. Speaking of PHANTOM, have they con

GGLAM Casting  Aug 13 2014, 04:52:18 PM
I'd hate to say it, but I don't think that Jefferson Mays will be able to play all those D'Ysquiths forever. The show has started to sell out, largely because of the Tony Awards, but will the momentum keep going when Mays goes? Are there any other actors who can fill Mays's shoes and hats? Or will the show have to close?

SPOILER ALERT: Mays doesn't play eight roles - he plays nine.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You