News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Nickhutson

Nickhutson Profile Photo
Member Name: Nickhutson
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.nickhutson.wix.com/about
Blog Address:
Profile: Nick Hutson created MusicalTalk with his friend and co-presenter Andy Edwards in September 2006. He has had the pleasure of meeting with and interviewing such luminaries as Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz, Stephen Sondheim, Jerry Herman, Stephanie J Block, Gerard Alessandrini, William David Brohn, George Stiles and Anthony Drewe.

A pianist and composer, Nick holds a degree in composition from the University of Hertfordshire and has recently completed a masters in Musical Theatre writing at Goldsmiths College, University of London.

Writing credits include: CoasterBoy: The Musical(book, music and lyrics) and, with Dominic Lindesay-Bethune, he has written music (and co-written lyrics) for: The House on Penbrook Way, Far Away Academy and Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids and his own musical adaptation of Just William (Book, Music and Lyrics). As an orchestrator, he orchestrated Rubbish: The Musical and as a sound designer, he created soundscapes for Final Play, which played at the Tabard Theatre in London. Film scoring includes The Helpless Survivor (written and produced by Dominic Lindesay-Bethune).

Nick plays piano in various restaurants and at private functions. He also enjoys travelling, theme parks and films.

He is also a frequent guest presenter on the Season Pass Podcast.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Dame Judi Dench is Glad She Didn't Do Cats  Oct 1 2017, 08:31:22 AM

Good thing Ravel wrote the melody in 1928, then! :) 

Beauty and the Beast Film-No  Jul 1 2016, 01:44:04 PM

In order for there to be oscar wins - they need to have new songs in it.  

Tim Rice told me he is not a huge fan of the song... 

I am sure Alan won't disappoint! 

Anyone finding Matilda underwhelming?  Apr 22 2016, 02:55:22 AM

qolbinau said: "Mister Matt said: "It would barely even register as a forced rhyme, something that's been used by well-respected lyricists throughout Broadway history, especially in comedic songs.   Porter was particularly fond of them.

"

I don't know if they are explicitly trying to rhyme those two words (though if you ask me, they are pretty close).

For example, here is another section (which I think

Matilda To Take Final Bow in 2017  Apr 15 2016, 06:53:29 AM

and yet Kinky  Boots continues to run.   Baffling.

"Everybody say yeah!"

Wicked Witch of the East on the Wicked Soundtrack?  Mar 14 2016, 10:30:31 AM

Maybe they'll include it on the film's soundtrack  

Hamilton in the Blizzard  Jan 24 2016, 03:53:34 AM

Fosse76 said: "The producers, contrary to Ms. St. Martin's statement, could care less about performers' safety."

Ahem.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Musical Theater Podcasts  Jan 23 2016, 12:37:48 PM

I will happily suggest MusicalTalk - not that I am biased...  

We Will Rock You-Why No Broadway Transfer?  Nov 4 2015, 06:26:48 PM

The plot is utter nonsense - much like a lot of queen's songs.

You tell me what Bohemian Rhapsody is all about...

Mainstream artists that you think could write a good musical  Oct 19 2015, 01:09:27 PM

I am generally against pop star "writing" musicals - but...

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Billy Joel 

Paul McCartney

Spring to mind... 

It Could Have Been Patti in ENO's  Oct 5 2015, 06:29:59 AM

Who is the English National Orchestra?  

Do they accompany the English National Opera?

Who Are The Finest Lyricists on Broadway Today?  Oct 4 2015, 05:24:25 AM

Anthony Drewe. 

"To see a statue, dance like that you can't believe your eyes.  You fear you've lost your marbles, though the thinker thinks you're wise. So you should hasten; call a mason, tell him what you've seen. He knows his craft; he'll think you're daft - but we'll know what you mean"

(From a pantomime musical of Jack the Beanstalk he and George did)

"If you write a poem then you have to rh

Most impressive Stage Effects (SpecialFX?)  Sep 21 2015, 05:45:11 PM

EvanK said: "The chalkboard in Matilda isn't a projection? I always thought it was?

"

Nope - that would be too obvious! It'd be bad to see a beam of light and also Trunchbull walks right infant of the board as it's happening... and the chalkboard moves forward.  

Most impressive Stage Effects (SpecialFX?)  Sep 21 2015, 06:23:21 AM

That moment really is the most amazing moment of theatricality.  I remember seeing it at the RSC thinking How is Trunchbull going to pick her up... and then she does - with no lighting or position switch.  

It's really the chalkboard illusion that's pretty ingenious - considering it is NOT projection at all. 

Most impressive Stage Effects (SpecialFX?)  Sep 20 2015, 05:07:23 PM

RaiseYouUp said: ""Defying Gravity" still kills me every time."

I completely agree! To me, Defying Gravity is the ultimate special effect on Broadway. 
Another for me would be the finale in Kinky Boots. I'm not sure that this exactly qualifies as a "special effect", but the use of the lights and mirrors on the walls of the set is just thrilling, and then when the lights hit those drag costumes it's just the best thing ever!

It was good, too, when Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Doo-daa did it in 1991  

"

Most impressive Stage Effects (SpecialFX?)  Sep 20 2015, 04:14:46 PM

Paul Kieve love fest coming up:

GHOST (Door, folding letter, blue room illusion, subway, everything)
Matilda (Pigtails and Chalkboard)
Lord of the Rings (Bilbo Baggins disappearing - much like GHOST)
The Witches (the table cloth falling on the witches and they all disappear from underneath it)
The Invisible Man (when he takes his bandages off and there's no face and yet his glasses are still there and he smokes a cigarette !!!!!)
Levitation effect in PIPPIN<

What did this board think of Legally Blonde the musical?  May 26 2015, 08:31:16 AM

I think it's a very finely crafted score.  The numbers do SO much on stage and a lot of new writers today can learn a lot from them - how to write a modern score that still works in every way it should. 

Sheridan gave an absolutely stellar performance early in the run until she lost her way toward the end and was told off for being too silly and not taking it seriously.  

I think it was a clever move to scale the show down to its bare essentials by Sonia -

Bass-Baritone upbeat comedic song?  May 1 2015, 03:58:58 AM

Or - the English version - "ME" from Beauty and the Beast :) 

Into The Woods - The London Theatre Orchestra and Cast  Dec 9 2014, 02:28:11 AM
I was so shocked with their laughable recordings - I even told Alan Menken about the Little Shop of Horrors one! Whilst he had no power to remove it (??) he certainly wasn't happy!

They're giving London theatre a bad name - that's for sure!

The Broadway Mega-Musicals  Aug 18 2014, 04:58:50 AM
Some of these aren't Broadway Musicals - as they didn't originate there.

So

West End Mega Musicals
Evita
Cats
Les Miserables
Starlight Express
The Phantom of the Opera
Miss Saigon
Sunset Boulevard
Mary Poppins
Matilda

Broadway Mega Musicals
Wicked
The Lion King
The Producers

Spider-Man is not a mega musical - as it's only played one place.. and flopped.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway?  Aug 11 2014, 03:44:51 AM
Yes. Leslie Bricusse told me Dahl hated the film so much he said that no future versions of it were allowed to have anything to do with that version. So - there you go.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You