News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for gangtey

Member Name: gangtey
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Thomas Meehan Has Passed Away
 Aug 22 2017, 05:40:52 PM

Thank you, Thomas Meehan, for The Yma Dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdagPyHgfFg

GYPSY on PBS
 Nov 13 2016, 12:50:56 PM

The anemic sounding overture by that tiny orchestra made me sad.

BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS Coming to Broadway; Rob Ashford to Direct!
 Jun 22 2016, 05:21:22 PM

Lots of people seem to think Best Little Whorehouse is crud, maybe because of the cruddy movie version. In the early 80s, we loved it so much when we saw the touring company in Boston starring Alexis Smith, we saw it again when it came to town with Carlin Glynn. It was a sweet, funny and enjoyable satire.

West Side Story Revival 2009
 Jul 7 2015, 09:37:11 PM

I brought my twelve year old niece to see this show in Washington, her first West Side Story. I was delighted that she was thoroughly engrossed, loving every minute of it, right up until they started singing in Spanish. The poor kid was deflated at suddenly not understanding the words. The Spanish was a dumb gimmick, especially in the Quintet when the Sharks sang their parts in Spanish, except for the word "Tonight!" Oy.

Do NOT Do Standing Room For FINDING NEVERLAND
 Apr 9 2015, 11:13:02 AM

I went to The Nutcracker about twenty years ago, and it was torture. It was as if the entire audience had been transformed into a chaotic toddler play date. I don't remember the ballet, only the flood of snacks and juice boxes endlessly being passed around and the kid who kicked the back of my seat for three hours. That was my last time ever at a show where there might be even one child in the audience.

Indiana Boycott - Broadway tours
 Mar 30 2015, 11:43:30 PM
I can't imagine how modifying the law will make any difference. The most benign version of the law, already adopted in several other states, implicitly allows anti-gay discrimination in the name of religion. After all, that is the only purpose of the law, so a modification making it better is very unlikely.
Sondheim and Lady Gaga
 Mar 14 2015, 09:55:08 PM
I had a similar reaction to Lady Gaga's performance. I was impressed by her big voice and talent for singing that kind of music so well, and turned off by the style in which she sang it. To me, the tattooed pop star mimicking Julie Andrews, English accent and all, came across as campy. I wished she'd sung it in a more personal style.
Best musical theatre songs about heartbreak
 Mar 8 2015, 07:50:23 PM
I Never Know When - Goldilocks
Is Anyone Else Watching
 Oct 13 2014, 06:27:45 PM
The camera's constantly moving—in and out, soaring up and around and down and in again and out again is very distracting. That's not the way we view a play. For a change, I'd love to see a televised play with the camera plopped in the middle of the orchestra, just far enough back to take in all the action, and left there for the duration, to approximate the experience of seeing a play in a theater.
Actors Breaking Character
 Oct 8 2014, 05:56:54 PM
I saw Cabaret last week. I was impressed and appreciative that Alan Cumming, even after so many performances, was giving it everything he had. I would not find it charming if a star were to break character to tell the audience how weary they are from toiling in the salt mines of Broadway.
Curious Previews
 Sep 30 2014, 09:16:22 PM
I agree. Alex Sharp's performance is incredible, and the set is dazzling. The play's engrossing, but I'd hoped for a dramatic payoff. The final scene felt like a payoff for a different play.
Dorothy Collins
 Sep 12 2014, 04:25:48 PM
This is one of my favorite things: From SCTV, Andrea Martin as Bernadette Peters, singing Sondheim, trying to cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKWn6oPj-c

Worst broadway shows you've seen
 Aug 13 2014, 05:53:21 PM
I saw the pre-Broadway tryout of My One and Only in Boston. It was not ready to be seen by a paying audience, or any audience for that matter. It was like the actor's nightmare in which the actors don't know anything about the show they're in. But they went on anyway. Two weeks later it was a big hit in New York.
Question about
 Jul 23 2014, 07:57:03 PM
Dining on rare steaks and dry martinis on the isles of Greece sounds like the makings of fairly sophisticated evenings to me. Ketchup, not so much. But anyway, people have to come from somewhere, so why not Omaha? And why not ketchup! Maybe the song is an ironic joke on the cynical (and unsophisticated) snobbery of people who complain about other travelers no matter what they do.
It's time to talk about how much we love 1776
 Jul 13 2014, 09:02:51 AM
HBO ran the John Adams miniseries last week. I had a laugh at its little homage to 1776, when Adams was pacing the floor during a tense scene and Abigail says "For god's sake John, sit down."

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You