News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for elf2

Member Name: elf2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Peformers/performances that ruined the OCR for you.
 Nov 9 2006, 06:52:55 AM
"I completely agree with the nightmare otherwise known as Frances Ruffelle. She actually won a Tony for whining through that score? Her acting was nothing special, either. Judy Kuhn should have won that year for playing Cosette."

Frances sounds vile on the OBC. She shines on the OLC though and she was superb in the original London cast and when she returned to the role years later.

I'll eat my hat if ANYONE ever wins a Tony for playing Cosette!

As for Lea being the be

re: Chicago Warning! Do not miss Pirate Queen!
 Oct 30 2006, 01:05:34 PM
""The food in England is getting better btw. You just need to know where to go"

Yeah. France or Italy!"

Oh it's a pity that I'm not ignorant enough to think all that people in the US eat is burgers, hotdogs, bbq ribs, grits, meat loaf and scrapple or I could really go to town.

And isn't Irish cuisine just white pudding, colcannon and guinness?

"I didnt say I was an expert on Irish Overtures. I said this particular one does NOT sound like TRUE Irish music. It s

re: Chicago Warning! Do not miss Pirate Queen!
 Oct 30 2006, 10:49:52 AM
"Anyone with a drop of Irish blood in them could tell you there is NOTHING truly Irish about the overture. It's "wanna be" Irish which is the worst kind!!"

Sorry, I gotta ask this... just HOW Irish are you and what exactly do you think makes an Irish overture?

My family are Irish (and no, I don't just mean they have an Irish name!) and I was indoctrinated with everything Irish from birth. The overture *sounds* Irish. I've heard Irish music that sounds like this.

re: What to see Phantom Vs. Les Miz
 Oct 29 2006, 05:59:46 PM
"Because if you are going to spend the money and take the trouble to go into the city, you want to be GAURENTEED an amazing experience. Take it from someone who has seen Phantom 27 times..."

I'm really sorry to hear you had to go through that but I mean, come on?? Did you have to see it 27 times to realise it wasn't an amazing experience?

Graphic language
 Oct 29 2006, 07:55:08 AM
>This show seems like a natural for parents to bring their young
>daughters to, with its strong female lead and the historical
>setting (such as it is). Can you imagine if the Wizard called
>Elphaba a "bitch" or a "whore" in Wicked?

But it's not being marketed as a kids show and it isn't based on a childrens film so comparing it to Wicked is ill-considered.

Miss Saigon has a strong female lead but involves prostitution, scenes of a sexual nature and several

re: Let a BIG BLACK WOMAN stop the show!
 Oct 29 2006, 05:50:03 AM
Gotta be Jen Holliday.

That woman is a walking showstopper. Amazing and mesmerising!

re: Color Blind Casting
 Oct 29 2006, 05:47:59 AM
"Color-blind casting is wrong and unnatural. The blacks have no business being in "Les Miserables." I won't be seeing the revival, until they cast it correctly."

Ah jesus. Great way to take a valid viewpoint and screw it up the ass. Sorry... I guess you hate "the gays" being let into Les Mis too.

re: Color Blind Casting
 Oct 28 2006, 08:07:24 AM
>France was a major immigration point, and one of the more diverse
>countries in Europe. Also, they were quite forward-thinking, being

They weren't THAT forward thinking.

When Melba Moore played fantine, it was ridiculous. Fantine would have been persecuted at the factory for her colour. Having a bastard child would have been the least of her worries.

I'm also SICK of the people that say "in real life they wouldn't all be singing either!".

So we can cast

PIRATE QUEEN/Martin Guerre
 Oct 9 2006, 03:01:16 PM
>Au contraire my friend, I observed PLENTY.

But really, hearing the London CD and some "demos" recorded in London is not really observing "plenty".

Yet again, these "demos" were from the musicals early days. MUCH changed between the first preview and opening night. The show was constantly tinkered with until it *re-opened* in the November of 1996 and then it was revised considerably yet again when the cast changed in 1997. By the time it closed in 1998 it was an excellent show

re: thoughts on PIRATE QUEEN
 Oct 8 2006, 04:26:31 PM
Is English not your first language? Do I have to use more simple language?

Did I say he had to be in the creative team? No!

Did I say he couldn't exprsss his opinion? No!

I just told him not to express his OPINIONS like they were gospel when his experience of the show is very limited... as he's already stated on other threads on here.

He's using his limited knowledge of Martin Guerre and now Pirate Queen to try to illustrate the decline of Boublil and Schonbe

re: thoughts on PIRATE QUEEN
 Oct 8 2006, 04:05:29 PM
>having observed Martin Guerre being rewritten and revised
>over and over without any real improvement having been made. I

Oh give it a rest. You observed nothing! You have the CDs and saw the crappy US version.

The London version received MIXED reviews. Some were great and some were terrible. However, the show that closed in London was NOTHING like what is represented on the CD. It was excellent but sadly flawed.

Aside from the scaled down orchestra (and stagin

re: Les Misérables Live on BBC Radio 2 tomorrow !
 Oct 8 2006, 03:51:57 PM
>It's the Symphonia. So yes, some of them are recorded.

No there was no Symphonia system used. It was recorded at the Mermaid theatre with the BBC Concert Orch.

Audrey Two- Man eating plant.
 Oct 8 2006, 08:05:39 AM
Quick gripping?? It's a pity some of this money can't be piped into education!

re: pirate queen music?
 Oct 8 2006, 07:18:20 AM
If anyone has any idea of how I can hear the Pirate Queen as soon as possible, please email me privately... ammamad@yahoo.co.uk

I'm desparate to hear it!

Out of town fixes
 Oct 7 2006, 10:49:58 AM
>My opinion is that Martin Guerre was crap.

That's okay, lots of people think the same thing about you too.

The OLC cd is quite crap but does nothing to convey the show aside from the great orchestrations.

The US show was an appalling exercise in how to ruin a show. The tour in the UK was amazing but the version in the US was just bogged down by more uneccessary changes and soap opera acting. Yuck.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You