News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for PUGILIST

PUGILIST Profile Photo
Member Name: PUGILIST
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Miranda Sings
 May 17 2009, 09:41:52 PM
I love Miranda.
If I had to guess I would assume she didn't anticipate it taking off as it did, so really any annoyance is that the public bought into her, so like any performer she's just playing into what the audience wants.

I don't think her character fell flat on her face in person. I've seen the vids of her performing in NY and LA and they're hysterical.

If anything I would say the other two in the Miranda videos in NY fell flat on their faces. Craig, I thin

re: MAMMA MIA! Film Soundtrack Cover Art!
 Jun 1 2008, 02:53:18 AM
No, it doesn't surpise me. Just saying something I've noticed; found it interesting.
re: MAMMA MIA! Film Soundtrack Cover Art!
 May 30 2008, 09:21:10 PM
I've noticed that the marketing is making no attempt to clue the general public in that this is a musical.
re: What is your LEAST favorite musical ever?
 May 20 2008, 02:23:09 PM
-Starlight Express (When the tour came to my city, they gave my theatre class tickets due to poor ticket sales..)

-Brigadon't.. I used to call it that, and it made me happy to see someone else list it. This was the only time I've ever walked out of a performance at intermission, but something tells me it was the production rather than the actual show which I've been been brave enough to attempt again.

p.s. I'm so sad the Fantasticks is getting no love as it is one of my favesies

re: Is the Cry-Baby ad supposed to evoke a bag of Lay's Potato Chips?
 May 17 2008, 01:11:36 PM
I thought of ketchup and mustard when I first saw the logo..

..or Ronald Mcdonald.

but.. it looks like they were trying to harken back to teen pulp fiction novels.

re: New Birdie Buzz
 May 13 2008, 05:15:10 PM
I disagree that the show is dated. Yes it has a time period attached to it, but most shows do.

I just played the role of Conrad and found amazing relevance of the character in today's celebrity driven society. It's bigger than it was back then, which was pretty huge (i.e. Elvis, Beatlemania). As far as character development went I constantly watched E! and the tabloids to put into perspective just how much a person doesn't own "celebrity," but "celebrity" owns the person. It gave me

re: Wailing, blow em out of the water tenor songs!!
 Mar 28 2008, 12:41:13 PM
I'm a baritone/bass so don't chew me out if these songs aren't impressive enough... haha

but what about any of Burrs' songs from Wild Party? "What is it about her," or "Let Me Drown."

re: Lance Bass in Hairspray
 Aug 15 2007, 10:35:23 PM
and how.
re: Hairspray 3/23/07
 Mar 31 2007, 05:32:52 PM
Alright, it just seemed a little ill-spirited at first...
re: Hairspray 3/23/07
 Mar 31 2007, 04:07:17 PM
"She always has tons of her friends inn the audience when she goes on.... she goes out of her way to make sure that they come.. after all, someone needs to coax the audience into applauding for her more. "

Michelle doesn't go out of her way to make people do anything for her. People come to support her because she is an incredibly genuine, kind, and talented person. If she's not what you're looking for in a Tracy then leave it at that.. there's no need to ignorantly speculate the situa

re: Alexa Vega in Hairspray 02/16
 Feb 19 2007, 03:59:13 PM
"As for making her blend in... I think that's a good thing. I don't really ever think Penny should be stealing the show from the star, which is sounds like Diana did."

Diana may very well have stolen the show, but hey, can't knock a girl for having presence..
however I do think that Penny should stand out because she and Tracy are a comic duo and after seeing the show twice (w/ Diana in it) I realized that Tracy really is the "straight man" in it, and all the jokes go to Penny, so

re: Lippa's Wild Party
 Dec 12 2006, 12:42:58 AM
hahaha, no problem.. it's a great show :)
re: Lippa's Wild Party
 Dec 11 2006, 11:40:54 PM
Here is the synopsis from MTI's website
http://www.mtishows.com/show_plot.asp?ID=000234

I was going to attempt a summary (having done this show recently) but found this synopsis to be very complete.. I did however take the liberty of placing the musical numbers (in bold) to where they occur in the show:

ACT I
It’s the roaring 1920’s and the beautiful, young Queenie, although she tries, cannot find a lover able to satisfy her desires – until she meets Burrs, a vaudevillian clown with a voracious appetite for women. Both Queen and Burrs have now met their emotional and sexual match and for a while they live together, happily sated. (Queenie Was A Blonde) Eventually, the relationship sours. Burrs violent nature, which once thrilled Queenie, now scares her. (The Apartment) Still, she longs to generate the same excitement that brought them together. A party, she thinks, will do it! Burrs agrees. (Out of the Blue)

The party begins with a parade of guests: Madeline the lesbian, Eddie the thug, Mae the dimwit, Jackie the dancer, lover-brothers d’Armondo, Dolores the hooker, and Nadine the minor. What A Party Although Queenie radiates beauty and confidence, Burrs preys on other women. Raise the Roof He makes his move on their youngest guest, Nadine. Despite her casual reprimand of his behavior, Queenie wants to hurt Burrs in return.

The vivacious Kate arrives with her new friend, Mr. Black. Look At Me Now Queenie, quite taken by Black, plans to make her move on him. Kate drags him away to meet the other guests. Queenie’s plans are momentarily undermined. The party’s revelry continues: Burrs hits on Kate; Madeline hits on Nadine, Eddie chugs beer and almost fights with Burrs. During the chaos, Black finds himself equally as taken by Queenie as she with him - much to the chagrin of Kate. As revenge, Kate plans on seducing Burrs. (Poor Child) Meanwhile, Madeline is on the prowl for a woman. (Old Fashioned Love Story)

Although Queenie is fully aware that Burrs will threaten her physically, she makes her move on Mr. Black, easily getting him to dance with her. Burrs watches them, his ire rising. Unsuccessfully, Kate tries to get Burrs to dance – then in order to diffuse the situation, Kate takes Queenie out of Mr. Black’s arms and dances with her instead.

Burrs violent reaction against Mr. Black and Queenie is prohibited by the whole company dancing the Juggernaut. At its end, Mr. Black and Queenie are together again. To get the reaction he wants from Queenie, Burrs grabs Nadine, the minor, and makes out with her. This enrages Kate who throws Nadine to the ground by her hair. Madeline rushes to aid Nadine. Burrs cuts into Mr. Black and Queenie’s dancing. Managing to have her to himself, Burrs tells Queenie to stay away from Mr. Black. Laughing at him, Queenie says she will do whatever she chooses. He twists her arm hard. (The Juggernaut) They are interrupted by Oscar and Phil’s piano duet. Burrs releases Queenie, seeing that too many people are watching them.

Burrs and Queenie join Oscar and Phil’s epic musical number based on the story of Adams and Eve – Burrs plays Adam and Queenie, Eve. (A Wild, Wild Party Their number is interrupted by a discontented neighbor.

Meanwhile Eddie and Mae cuddle, celebrating their togetherness. Two of a Kind In contrast, Burrs and Queenie end up alone and apart from the rest of the party.

Shortly, Mr. Black approaches Queenie and pointedly asks why she stays with an abusive brute like Burrs. She replies, simply, that maybe she likes her life with Burrs. (Maybe I Like It This Way) Mr. Black kisses her. Kate tries to kiss Burrs, but he refuses her. (What Is It About Her?

ACT II
The party rages on. Kate is alone and reflecting on her youthful indulgence. The Life of the Party Queenie’s alone in the bathroom trying to take stock. Although she’s angry that she confided in Mr. Black, a virtual stranger, she recognizes his goodness. This both stirs and confuses her feelings. Mr. Black enters the bathroom to convey his support and deep admiration (Gal for Me/I'll be Here) when Burrs bursts in, wanting her sole attention.

Black refuses to leave. Burrs apologizes to Queenie in front of them both and begs her forgiveness. Kate arrives before Queenie can reply. Kate unsuccessfully tries to draw Burrs back onto the dance floor. Both men pull for her affections and devotion; Mr. Black asks Queenie to leave the apartment with him. Burrs asks her to stop the party and let them return to their previous isolation. Queenie is unable to reply to either man. Then Burrs threatens her physically and she leaves with Mr. Black. (Listen to Me)

Burrs wants to drown himself in gin and misery. He hallucinates that he hears Queenie’s voice all around him. (Let Me Drown) He attacks Mae thinking she is Queenie, angering Eddie. A fight ensues. (The Fight) Mr. Black and Queenie return; Queenie is afraid Eddie will kill Burrs if the fight is not stopped. Black rushes in and knocks Eddie unconscious. Mae rushes to Eddie and Kate rushes to the bruised and battered Burrs. Burrs falls asleep in a drug-induced stupor before Kate can kiss him.

Out of kindness and consideration, Mr. Black offers to Queenie that he leaves. But Queenie can’t let him go. (Tell Me Something) They end up in the bedroom making love with the caring that she and Burrs never shared. The other partiers follow suit in the living room. (Come With Me)

By five AM the next morning the majority of revelers lie asleep in the living room. (Jackie's Last Dance) Kate wakes Burrs who lies besides her. Queenie is strikingly absent. Burrs finds her in the bedroom with Mr. Black. Burrs locates a gun. (Make Me Happy) Full of rage Burrs vacillates between trying to force Queenie to make a choice between the two men, threatening kill Black, and threatening to kill himself. Mr. Black takes the chance during Burrs’ rampage to lunge at Burrs. The gun goes off. Burrs is shot dead. Fearing that Mr. Black will be executed for Burrs’ death, Queenie urges Mr. Black to flee. Before leaving Mr. Black professes his love her. Queenie, now having lost both men, questions how things managed to reach that point of loss. She exits the apartment - with her coat - all eyes upon her sad, beautiful grace. (How Did We Come To This?)

Okay, this is just me now.. end of synopsis.

The songs that are not included on the original cast recording: The Apartment, Gal For Me, Listen to Me, and The Fight.

I don't know what exactly you're looking for in the character breakdown but I'll give it a shot

BLACK: A door man that Kate just recently met at a night club. He is brought along to the party by Kate as "bait" for Queenie, so Kate can seduce Burrs.

BURRS: A violent vaudeville clown and live-in lover to Queenie. Is short-tempered, and very abusive towards Queenie. Strong-willed, despises Kate. Very dark character, and a twisted sense of humor.

DOLORES: "The hooker," is part of the ensemble. Has a few lines here and there, but nothing highly crucial pertaining to the plot of the show.

EDDIE: The boxer. ("Pugilist," which he names introduces himself as in "What A Party" is a slang term for a boxer, also called a "Pug") He is a heavy drinker and wears his heart on his sleeves, a very emotional person. He is boyfriend to Mae.

JACKIE: A dancer, lost his tongue somehow, so he can't speak "Now he's not so popular with the boys," as Kate notes. It is not really mentioned, or explained in the show, but "Jackie's Last Dance," refers to a drug overdose in the original 1926 Poem.

KATE : An extremely manipulative and calculated character. She places much of her existance in gaining Burrs' love and relentlessly pursues him through the entire night of the party. She is the proverbial "life of the party," and sort of a.. sh*t stirrer, if you know what I mean.

MADELAINE TRUE: A lovely lesbian character. She has a few one-liners here and there and pursues Nadine, "The minor" throughout the party. Also sings the very hilarious "Old Fashioned Love Story."

MAE: Is a very simple girl, the original poem says that she is even stupider than Eddie. She is sort of his trophy girl.. think gangster girlfriend. In act 2 she is mistaken for Queenie and strangled by Burrs, as explained in the synopsis.
MAX: Another ensemble character, he has a few solo verses here and there, and sings the part of "God," in A Wild, Wild Party.

BROTHERS D'ARMANO (OSCAR AND PHIL D' ARMANO): Are gay composer, brother-lovers. Amusingly flamboyant with funny little bits. They sing "A Wild, Wild Party" which they have written for Queenie and Burrs to perform as Eve and Adam, respectively. They describe it as an "Epic musicale based on the bible!" The song Wild Wild Party is most associated with this show, but also has not much to do with the show plot-wise other than paralleling the expulsion from Eden to the party they are currently having..

QUEENIE: The leading lady, trapped in an abusive relationship plans the party as a way to pull herself out of her slump. She hopes to make Burrs jealous by finding another man and showing that she can live without him. She is a very cheeky and rough character, but is also extremely vulnerable.

NADINE: "The Minor," sometimes is played as Mae's younger sister (as the poem states) She is pursued by Burrs and Madelaine throughout the party.

SAM: A producer at the party, the number "A Wild, Wild Party," is pitched to him hoping he will pick up the Brother D'Armano's show "Good Heavens!"

THE NEIGHBOR: Small role, comes on right after "A Wild, Wild Party," has dialogue with Eddie and Mae something along the lines of "cut out that noise," Eddie heckles the neighbor, Mae tells the neighbor off which leads into "Two of a Kind." After "Come With Me," the neighbor re-appears with a telephone and expalins "Get me the police!"

OKAY! As far as the show being dance intensive, I would say that it is standard musical theatre. It all depends on the choreography and the talent involved. The character that needs to be a strong dancer, obviously, is Jackie who taps and has an entire dance solo.

Well, hope this helps! I know it's long, haha. Seeya.

re: URINETOWN: Copyright Controversy
 Dec 11 2006, 07:10:25 PM
"How do people NOT get this? I suppose you think it would be OK to have performers lip-synch to the original cast recording?"

I know this post is about a month after you posted that, but it made me think about original cast recordings, and how people performing in a production of some show will listen to the cast recording and in some cases, literally imitate the performer on the recording, the nuances of their voice, the delivery, vocal riffs, etc.

So, just playing devil's a

broadway urinetown's ass is getting sued
 Dec 11 2006, 05:56:39 PM
I'm interested in seeing pictures of the productions for comparison sake.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You