News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Shakespearean

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Member Name: Shakespearean
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Actors who are playwrights?
 Apr 29 2010, 04:24:00 PM
And there's also... Me! As an additional shameless plug, please visit www.MisfitToysRep.org to read about the Monday May 3rd staged reading of my new play, Willie's Boys. From the press release:

The actors of The King’s Men brought Shakespeare’s characters to life but what misadventures will they create on their own when Will is no longer there to pen their words for them? Can the actors survive Shakespeare’s retirement, an infusion of new blood, and a web of old intrigues? The Misfit T

re: Bless you, Bruce Kimmel
 Apr 14 2010, 04:38:18 PM
Please add my vote to the Doonesbury list. I remember when Gary Trudeau was submitting new material to it every week; it was a great cast and a fun show. When I talk about it, half the folks think I'm making it up... thanks for validating my failing memory folks!
Equivocation tonight?
 Feb 19 2010, 10:58:33 AM
Just out of curiosity, do you feel the the 2:20 is too long because they ran out of material or kept extraneous material, or do you feel 2:20 is too long for plays in general? I'm not being catty, I'm genuinely interested because I have a play going up soon (off-off-B'way), coincidentally about Shakespeare's acting troupe shortly after his retirement. It runs about 2:20 with an intermission now and folks have suggested that that's too long for a play (any play) without having seen it. Looking at
Unions and Affiliations
 Feb 5 2010, 02:13:07 PM
Yero wrote:
Also, SSDC dropped an S. It's just SDC now. Not sure which S they dropped, though.

Technically, they moved the first S. It was the Society of Stage Directors and Choreographers. As part of our 50th anniversary, they renamed us as the Stage Directors and Choreographers Society though they are leaving the last S off the branding. They told us to think of it as 'SDC little S' to keep the society part in our hearts

re: Contacting Stephen Sondheim....
 Dec 2 2009, 12:15:04 PM
If any of you want to practice your stalking before entering the big leagues with Sondheim, I've written a lovely new musical that I'm taking into the Readings phase. I have Facebook and share my curmudgeonly opinions on everyone, living and dead. No need to contact me through my lawyers, all my money will be going to accompanists and rehearsal space, so I can't afford them. Love me, stalk me, villify me... it's all good!
re: David Hasselhoff in hospital
 Nov 30 2009, 10:53:49 AM
He might have seen his latest film, Anaconda 3, on SyFy last night and just decided to end it all. It would be a tragic loss, though. Who else is better qualified to determine if America's Got Talent?
re: MIRACLE WORKER already drawing protests
 Oct 29 2009, 04:59:41 PM
The whole argument is academic. Half of them won't listen and the other half will never see your point.

OK, there, the floodgates are open. Who didn't want to work in a Helen Keller joke somewhere?

And for what it's worth, Miracle Worker was the first show I did in college and our (sighted) Helen still managed to take a header into the pit...

re: How do you show a person drowning on stage?
 Oct 26 2009, 10:12:06 AM
Best drowning for me was Coram Boy, second best was Tarzan. In the end though, as both a playwright and a director, I have to go with, "You say what and let the director figure out the how".
re: Kenny Ortega Exits Big Screen FOOTLOOSE Redo
 Oct 26 2009, 09:47:46 AM
I'm available to direct but I need some concessions. I want "I Confess" back in; someone to walk my pugs; a bowl of blue almond M&Ms in my trailer; and a choreographer who understands what I mean by "Now make them do that one-two-kick-and-the-jiggly-hand-thing". I don't think I'm asking too much.
re: My thoughts on IN THE NEXT ROOM or the vibrator play (with spoilers)
 Oct 23 2009, 10:33:12 AM
At least you didn't day "Teeny..." anyway...

I read this play about a year ago and asked myself, as a director, about the nudity at the end (Despite my voyeuristic proclivities, I always ask this - surprise!). At that time, there was no thought of who would play it or where, and it seemed like a justified choice to me. The stage directions at that time were, "He undresses her, partially" and after the last dialogue, "She undresses him", which seemed very appropriate to our journey. I do

re: Waiting For Godot Stage Door
 Jun 20 2009, 04:43:37 AM
I saw the show a few nights before the Tony Awards. Nathan Lane and John Goodman snuck out the front door and avoided the few of us waiting. Bill Irwin came out quickly and was the most friendly, personable gentleman one might imagine. He asked us questions about some technical stuff in the show, if we heard the bartenders putting the bottles away (we did), about ourselves... it was, well, awesome. John Glover had guests backstage but I've been a fan since L!V!C! and it was his nomination week s
re: THE WIZ First Preview Thoughts
 Jun 16 2009, 10:30:45 AM
> I think Toto should've been played by a Westie.

Helllooooo... that's breed casting ! At least they didn't cast some Uncle Tom pit bull, right? I'm just sorry to hear they cut his Act II monologue. I suppose they just threw a bucket of water on the witch when we ALL know how she really died. Toto lifts his leg and saves the day!

re: THE WIZ First Preview Thoughts
 Jun 15 2009, 11:23:22 AM
I hope someone will let us know how Nigel does as Toto. I'd really like to know. We always get left out of the reviews.

Thanks!
Bruiser, Chico, and Sandy

re: From Marc Shaiman on the Tony's
 Jun 8 2009, 10:48:13 AM
PalJoey challenged us:

>> Nope. Think again...see if you can make up some of the lyrics they had for the other winners. Exercise your brain a little.

Marc's lyrics were brilliant but someone had to step up to the challenge so here's a quick 15 minute reply. Using the same tunes so as not to confuse the musicians, and roughly the same categories highlighted, how about...

Tonight, tonight
Was Next to Normal's night
They sent young Billy back to the mines.
How

re: 'Theatre is dead.'
 Apr 14 2009, 09:56:29 AM
Due attention must be paid to developing new audiences, though, and not just as a source of revenue. In a recent Toxic Avenger post, I went on about how ecstatic I was to see so many middle and high school aged kids in the audience. The consensus in the lobby afterward was a general, "That was cool, can our school do that?" from kids who didn't strike me as being your normal school theatre kids, in fact, more seemed to be the ones who would be stuffing the theatre kids in their lockers. Overall,
re: TOXIC AVENGER Reviews
 Apr 9 2009, 10:50:24 AM
I had the pleasure of catching Toxic Avenger last night. As has been echoed on other threads for other shows, you have to know what you are going into. If you're expecting high art, you're in the wrong theatre. If you want the funniest adaptation of a B movie (OK, more of a C- movie) brought to the stage I've seen yet, this is it. I belly-laughed laughed straight through the entire 90 minutes (and taht hurts with a belly my size). The energy and comic timing of this amazing cast was indescribabl
re: Free Toxic Avenger Ticket For Tonight
 Apr 8 2009, 04:39:12 PM
Bobby, you don't accept private messages. Please PM me with contact info.

Still 1 ticket available (besides Bobby if he sees this).

Apr 8 2009, 04:34:09 PM
We had a bite but he had to cancel. Remarkably, the ticket is still available! So out of consideration for the time factor...

*Bump*

Apr 8 2009, 02:52:37 PM
*Bump*

Still available.

Free Toxic Avenger Ticket For Tonight
 Apr 8 2009, 01:33:16 PM
I have an extra ticket for The Toxic Avenger tonight. I don't want it to go to waste. Please PM me if interested, first come first served. Hope someone can make it!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You