News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for sidjones09

sidjones09 Profile Photo
Member Name: sidjones09
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Clybourne Park Broadway Edition  Mar 28 2012, 02:23:40 AM
I strongly disagree with the hate for this play.

I saw it Off-Broadway with the current cast. I thought it was phenomenal.

For me, the play very smartly deals with the issues of gentrification and race relations in an ever changing American community. How do we talk about race across color lines in this country? We're seeing these awkward conversations take place and NOT take place everywhere at this very moment. Just as they did in 1959 and 2009 in this play.

It left

Shows That Changed Your Life  Mar 10 2012, 01:26:20 PM
'PASSING STRANGE' hit me pretty hard too, especially at The Public.

Here's my short list:

'JOURNEY'S END' - completely changed my understanding and outlook of war and it's devastating toll on humanity.

Nilaja Sun's 'NO CHILD' - changed my understanding of the power of the artist, the theater, and Arts Education all in one show.

'SPRING AWAKENING' - changed my understanding of the simplicity and complexity of adolescence. And how the environment around you (i.e

re: Anna Karenina vs. Sunset Boulevard (March Madness, Round 1, game 7)  Mar 4 2008, 12:43:48 AM
Sunset Boulevard
re: Once on This Island vs. Side Show (March Madness, Round 1, game 8)  Mar 4 2008, 12:43:02 AM
Once on This Island
re: 'A Raisin in the Sun' TV adaptation of 2004 Revival at 8PM on ABC  Feb 26 2008, 12:27:14 PM
Beneatha cuts her hair in the play in order to feel more connected to her African heritage. Assagai has really got her to thinking about where she came from in the historic sense of her family.

You really should read the play. It is my favorite, and there are several different versions of it, but I would read Lorraine Hansberry's original unedited first.

re: 'A Raisin in the Sun' TV adaptation of 2004 Revival at 8PM on ABC  Feb 26 2008, 11:50:59 AM
"Which drunken rant? They definitely cut the scene of Walter's play-acting as an African warrior, but I don't remember if that's a drunken rant or not."

That is the drunken rant to which uncage is referring. It was cut, and the scene in the bar was taken from one of the scenes in the original movie with Poitier and McNeil. They added a bar scene in that film as well, although the dialogue was different.

I didn't appreciate the editing of Beneatha's haircut, or of severely cutti

re: It Would Be Ugly  Feb 26 2008, 01:24:06 AM
Sean 'Puffy' Combs in A RAISIN IN THE SUN.... Oh, wait.....
re: The Hottest New Show Of 08'  Feb 26 2008, 01:20:15 AM
In The Heights may be the hottest musical of '08, but the hottest overall show of '08 will be August: Osage County.
re: Musicals in One Act?  Feb 26 2008, 01:03:39 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to say it:

BROOKLYN

re: Mom Show?  Oct 19 2007, 01:31:49 AM
I don't know about the relationship that you and your mom have, but the thought of going to see Spring Awakening with my mom makes me ill. All of myManCape's suggestions are good.
re: Passing Strange Will Arrive on Broadway in 2008  Oct 19 2007, 01:23:18 AM
It's a mix of Rock, Blues, with a little gospel feel at times. Very ecclectic (sp?). I loved this show as well at The Public, but I can't see it having the commercial success it will need to succeed on Broadway. But I am excited to see it again, and I pray that they make a cast recording. I find myself singing some of the music from that show in my head from time to time. Great score in my opinion. The score is probably the best part of the show besides the incredible cast. Daniel Breaker was ph
re: Midsummer in Central Park  Aug 24 2007, 12:30:32 PM
Saw it Wednesday night, last performance before Opening Night. I thought it was wonderful.

The direction was excellent, especially of the 4 way fight between Helena, Hermia, Lysander, and Demetrius and also the Play within the Play. Martha Plimpton WAS the highlight as Helena, incredible, but everyone else was great. I can see someone's point about Mireille Enos (Hermia) warming up in her first scene, but other than that I thought she was fantastic, I also really enjoyed her in 'Virgini

re: How Do You Feel About Caroline Thibodeaux?  Aug 12 2007, 10:40:56 PM
"She's living in this world that's full of change, and she's static. She doesn't know what to do with it."

Great explanation RentBoy.

One of the most powerful pieces of theatre I've seen in years. Caroline is a tough character to grasp, which is why I love her so much. But for me there are two small chunks of the book that sum her up to me:

CAROLINE: My madness rise up in a fury so wild and I let myself go. Spoke my hate to a child. Pennies done that. PENNIES DONE THA

re: PASSING STRANGE Recording  Aug 6 2007, 10:49:01 AM
*bump*
PASSING STRANGE Recording  Aug 4 2007, 04:58:50 PM
Does anyone know if there has been talk of a CAST Album for that show, and if so have there been any release dates announced?
re: Should there be a Tony category for best music direction?  Jul 9 2007, 01:46:02 PM
I'm sold. There should definitely be a Tony category for Musical Direction.
re: Brantley Raves Over Lauren Ambrose And ROMEO & JULIET  Jul 9 2007, 01:39:29 PM
I will add to the praise. It was a wonderful production, and Lauren Ambrose has completely won me over with this one. I too loved her in Six Feet Under and couldn't wait to see her in 'Awake and Sing'. She was amazing in that, and her Juliet just blew me away. One of those performances I will remember for years to come. I know everyone lives to see the Balcony Scene, but was it not just breathtaking?

http://www.proofsheet.com/public_theater/rj/

re: Should there be a Tony category for best music direction?  Jul 9 2007, 01:14:23 PM
I guess my question then Don, is what is the difference between Orchestrations and Arrangements?
re: Should there be a Tony category for best music direction?  Jul 9 2007, 01:08:36 PM
I think that part of the problem with this idea is that a lot of times the Musical Director of a show is also the person who has done the Orchestrations, which IS a Tony eligible category. So you would have a bunch of people who were up for Tony's in 2 categories. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do think there should be a Tony for Best Ensemble though, and I don't mean the Best Chorus. I mean the Best overall Cast of a production that includes everyone in it.

re: Poll: Who Really Cares if Lea Michele's in Wicked?  Jul 6 2007, 07:08:42 PM
"all the angry fans from the Phillipines who thought it was Lea Salonga"

WOW, I never thought of that, but you are right.

That's some funny SH**!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You