News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Bobby Maler

Bobby Maler Profile Photo
Member Name: Bobby Maler
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs  Apr 30 2019, 10:00:31 AM
Actually, I think Beetlejuice deserved more nominations. For Leslie Kritzer who has a bigger, more virtuosic role than Sarah Stiles (she has to dance well too!) and while I think Lilli Cooper has a great voice and provided poise and groundedness in the midst of chaos, I also think you could have stuck any other great singer up there and I wouldn't feel her absence.

I'm sorry not to see Sophia Ann Caruso nominated, but that was an incredibly tough category. I'm happy for Caitlyn. I thin

Riedel on Stephen Daldry directing Frozen  Aug 12 2016, 08:24:35 AM

Why isn't anyone talking about Leisl Tommy? She replaced Timbers to direct the musical production of "Frozen" currently at Disneyland which was supposed to be a de facto try out.  I haven't seen it, but it also looks like a huge production with a lot of technical elements and friends who have seen it said it was wonderful and tear-inducing, featuring a very multi-cultural cast. 

It upsets me that a capable, Tony nominated&nb

The Nightingale Casting  Jul 25 2012, 03:11:30 AM
NewinTown said, " But the piece is not about a real "China."

Um, that's what the Asians are saying. They wouldn't have a problem if it was set in Middle Earth. But it's CHINA, a very real place, even more real in today's interconnected world than it was during Hans Christian Andersen's time. There is no reason to do this in 2012.

"If any work set in a place remotely Asian could only be performed by Asian actors, there would be tempests every time The Good Woman of Setzuan an

Color Blind casting  Jul 15 2012, 08:10:34 AM
"NIGHTINGALE is as much about China culture as THE MIKADO is about Japan. The European writers used the Asian settings as a gimmick."

Opera has been able to get away with more because of the lack of (western-trained) Asian Opera singers at the time... the racism baked into some classical pieces has been preserved...but I would be equally outraged if a production of the Mikado today were performed in Yellow Face.

We are talking about a production in 2012, not the 1880s! It

Philadelphia revival of SPRING AWAKENING set in a 50?s diner because shut up.  Jul 14 2012, 06:27:04 PM
Ugh. This looks so limiting. It doesn't look like it has as many layers as the original production. Looks like it just takes place in a modern catholic school.
Color Blind casting  Jul 14 2012, 06:04:07 PM
If all your press materials say it takes place in ancient China, if your sets, costumes and puppets reflect China, if your characters have Chinese names, then you can't say that it's not about being Chinese. It is a direct cooptation of another culture.

It is a representation of China through a Western (read: White) lens and is tantamount to exotification.

What we need to know is if they even went out of their way to audition Asian actors. Only then is it true colorblind cas

Shakespeare in the Park - Line Status Thread  Jun 26 2012, 09:16:17 PM
Thanks, Clyde. Holy Crap, tickets are becoming harder and harder to get. Why is their run so short??

OK, I finally have time to see it this Thursday. Sounds like the stand by line is no longer a good guarantee. What time should I get in line on Thursday? Is 10 am too late?

Does A 'Tony' Really Make a Differents?  Jun 9 2012, 08:47:34 PM
The Tony always bumps ticket sales for the best musical winner, not necessarily for revivals.
Just in Time for the Tonys; BWW Releases New iPhone, iPad & Android Apps!  Jun 9 2012, 08:40:04 PM
Agreed! This is going to make me a more frequent poster on this board!
Spring Awakening Tour  Jan 28 2011, 01:20:10 PM
MassofMen: "i wonder why producers would even do an Eq tour then if the talent is the same. Why pay people more if they non-union performers are the same quality?"

In general--though certainly not always--union actors are better and more experienced than non-union actors. The quality is NOT the same. You will see a huge discrepancy between the union and the non-union tours of shows like The King And I, Music Man, etc. If an adult actor hasn't become union after a certain amount of ti

NBC Picks Up Pitch For Hour-Long Musical TV Show Produced by Steven Spielbe  Jan 23 2011, 02:48:34 PM
Heard a rumor: The series traces the story of a show getting to Broadway. The hope is that the show within a show will be produced on Broadway for real some day. Makes sense. If the series is a hit, there is a built in audience and national brand name recognition, rare for a new musical.
re: Top Theatre stories of 2009  Dec 27 2009, 02:14:19 AM
Yeah, definitely Sushigate.

How about Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig setting new BC/EFA record?

We also had another musical that closed after only a few performances (5), Story of My Life.

Rocco Landsman gets named to head National Endowment for the Arts and Jordan Roth takes over Jujamacyn.

re: Video: Finian's Rainbow on Good Day, NY  Sep 6 2009, 03:29:50 AM
yeah, really wasn't expecting that to be as magical as it was. I'm not familiar with the show either. It only has 12 songs?? So I take it more like a play with music? Very cool if so...thanks for posting!
re: 'Spring Awakening' Lyrics Make It Onto a Mac OS X Icon  Sep 6 2009, 03:20:10 AM
That's just fabulous. I guess it makes sense, though. Not only do the lyrics reference Apple ("...just let those apples fall.."), but Spring Awakening has a relationship with Apple. They offered Bitch of Living as the free iTunes download, and they've been doing concerts in Apple Stores across the country on tour. Thanks for posting this tidbit!
re: The Bitch of 40  Jul 4 2009, 07:51:11 PM
I agree. I love their videos even though I've never seen the tour. They seem like a fun group that honestly loves each other and what they do. Has anyone ever seen Angela in NYC? I know she understudied Rock n Roll.
re: The Bitch of 40  Jul 4 2009, 05:28:11 PM
I think they actually look pretty similar. You don't see the resemblance?
re: Justin Timberlake to star in Guy Ritche's 'GUYS AND DOLLS' remake  Jul 4 2009, 05:26:21 PM
I'm willing to give it a chance. We (musical theatre fans) all have an idea of Sky or Nathan that is no longer what a "gangstah" looks like. I think this show SHOULD be edgy and dangerous and that's Guy Ritchie's calling card. Let's steer away from the first movie version which I would argue was too cartoony and safe. It's about moral corruption and redemption for goodness sakes.
re: The Bitch of 40  Jul 4 2009, 05:09:00 PM
Actually, that's not Todd playing the guitar. i think it's one of the tour musicians.
re: Anyody Seen Any Good OFF-Broadway Shows Lately?  Jul 4 2009, 04:45:53 PM
Ruined is good, but set your expectations low. All of the hype has been unhealthy for it, I think. Definitely worth a see.

Agree that Toxic Avenger is a hell of a lot of fun and well worth the money. Very original and theatrical. Gotta admire Rando's directing and the talented cast.

re: LIZA'S AT THE PALACE to be released on DVD  Jul 4 2009, 04:43:09 PM
ha ha that's very funny, but I too am glad it's being preserved in some way, shape or form. I'm just sad that it being the fall, it's unlikely that "Have Yourself a Very Merry Christmas" will make it in. That song brought me to tears when she sang it.Her generosity knows no bounds.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You