News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for fabala4077

fabala4077 Profile Photo
Member Name: fabala4077
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I am a thespian. I am a senior in high school (at last). I plan to major in Theatre somewhere (probably UC Irvine or UC Santa Cruz). If auditions & finances allow, I would love to go to Tisch (Playwrights Horizons) or Emerson College. I love directing, writing, and design nearly as much as I love acting. I sing passably and dance horribly. I read more plays than the rest of my small town put together. I have painstakingly earned the title of campus theatre nerd.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: What show would you direct if you could?
 May 3 2008, 06:07:10 PM
Always wanted to direct Into the Woods. I agree with some past posters that lots of these musicals need to show off their dark sides. I'd like to do Sweeney Todd and a very dark Wicked, as well.

For plays, I'd like to direct Beckett's Endgame, The Illusion by Tony Kushner (of course...) and Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

re: A song that you hate in a musical you love
 Apr 17 2008, 10:50:26 AM
Oh. Agreed on Turpin's Johanna. John Doyle's production took a different interpretation of the song, and it was much better. However, on my original recording, it's just... odd.
re: A song that you hate in a musical you love
 Apr 16 2008, 07:47:30 PM
Drink With Me, from Les Miserables.

I don't know why, but I've always detested this song. Ever since I first heard the score when I was 11, I loved it. Hated this song. Hmm.

re: Catch Me If You Can
 Mar 8 2008, 05:25:22 PM
I was always frustrated with that movie because of the lack of interesting female characters. Even if they expand Brenda's role, the part is still basically a two-dimensional ingenue with nothing much to do with the story, except a generic love interest.

That bothers me.

re: A Few Comments on DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE (No Spoilers)
 Feb 24 2008, 12:48:30 AM
I'm looking forward to reading (if not able to see) this play. I'm a big fan of Ruhl's, ever since I saw photos of Eurydice in American Theatre magazine last year. I was lucky enough to see it at 2nd Stage in New York in August, and it did not disappoint!

Oh, and ray, most of Ruhl's protagonists are "very, very odd", like you said. I think they're funny.

re: Composers you like
 Feb 23 2008, 02:54:32 PM
Sondhead - I wholeheartedly agree that the 3-chord structure is becomming the death of musical theatre. Thus, less predictable music like Sondheim is a welcome change and a blessing (I like your screen name, by the way)

However, as a fan of minimalism, the 3-chord structure (or basically anything semi-repetitive) can be very effective if done correctly. I'm not sure how well it works in musical theatre (not being able to think of a good example off the top of my head) but in pop music (

re: Composers you like
 Feb 23 2008, 12:09:48 PM
Stephen Sondheim, definitely.
Also Yann Tiersen, Michael Nyman, and Philip Glass (I'm into minimalism lately)
Tan Dun's Ghost Opera is fantastic.
And I can't get over Samuel Barber's Adaigo for strings.

So, I guess there's some specific pieces in there too... ah well.

re: Heathers...The Musical?!
 Feb 23 2008, 01:06:16 AM
Goodness, I can't even begin to imagine this. Could be good... on the other hand, could be very, very bad. The movie was bizarre.
re: My Spring Awakening 2/2 8pm Review
 Feb 4 2008, 10:54:11 PM
Opinions change. I hated Rent the first time I heard it... after another couple listens I started to really like it. Same thing with Spring Awakening. I remember watching their performance at the Tonys and being like, "WHAT?" but now I think it's all right.
re: Yucky Incident at Blue Man Group = Lawsuit!
 Feb 3 2008, 03:00:21 PM
I think that this guy is nuts. There is no way that the Blue Man Group actually shoved a camera down his throat. I have seen the show several times, and even taken part in the "Getting a Closer Look at the Audience" sketch. Their camera, which is quite large, could never fit down someone's throat. Actually, to my knowledge, it never even touches the person's mouth.

The "footage" of the camera going down a person's throat is a pre-recorded video. It is the same in every show.

re: 'Sweeney Todd' Question
 Feb 2 2008, 08:37:06 PM
Honestly, I think Tuesday is a lot funnier.
re: Ian McKellen's King Lear to Be Shown on TV, DVD
 Jan 29 2008, 08:29:05 PM
Cannot wait; I love Ian McKellen and he does Shakespeare so well. We watched his Macbeth in my English class, and it gave me shivers.
re: GAG ME WITH A RAZOR: Why I Hate Tim Burton's SWEENEY TODD
 Jan 23 2008, 09:19:11 AM
Who was Christopher Lee going to play? The judge? He would have been cool, but Alan Rickman did an all right job.

But honestly, they're both amazing.

rent your first time
 Jan 16 2008, 11:53:02 PM
Last summer in New York, with Anthony & Adam... My parents weren't interested at all, so my sister and I went by ourselves. Fantastic. I can't remember the cast's names (bad, bad thespian) but I remember our Joanne was fantastic (!!!). Angel and Maureen were also good, and I thought Collins and Mimi were rather weak. Mark and Roger.... well, they speak for themselves.
re: Ideas for first Broadway experience?
 Jan 12 2008, 12:24:13 PM
A Chorus Line. That was my first experience, and I can't imagine anything better. Although, if the production has gone downhill since August (when I saw it) it might not be worth it. Although in August, it was pretty amazing.
re: If you could play one character...
 Jan 12 2008, 12:20:08 PM
Picking only one? Mrs. Lovett. Except I don't trust myself to be good enough to play that part for another 25 years or so.
re: Could Muppets SWEENEY Rule Broadway?? YES!
 Dec 15 2007, 01:08:29 AM
I think it's run was way too short. I saw it (the Doyle version) on tour in San Francisco in October, and it was fantastic.
re: Spring Awakening Over Rated?
 Jun 11 2007, 11:40:30 PM
All right, I'm prepared to give it a chance. I haven't been impressed with what I HAVE seen and heard, but I just found out my county library has the soundtrack. I'll check it out and give it a few spins, see if it grows on me. Maybe?

I didn't like Rent the first time I heard it. By the third, I was hooked. Who knows?

re: Spring Awakening Over Rated?
 Jun 11 2007, 01:14:47 AM
Here's my question: why is it so popular?

I'm relatively uninformed about the whole thing. I wasn't impressed with the story (sounded overly tragic and lame), and I didn't partucularly like the music. Their bit at the Tonys tonight wasn't memorable (I liked Christine Ebersole's performance from Grey Gardens much better).

There must be some reason why it is popular. I'd like to know. Does it play very well onstage? Is it strangely affecting? What is it?

re: Dream Directors For Movie Musicals
 Apr 1 2007, 09:23:13 PM
I hope Helena can pull off the character voice of Mrs. Lovett, though. "Tears to Shed" is a beautiful song, and she has a beautiful voice. Mrs. Lovett should not. I hope she can do it!! I'm stuck on the idea of Angela Lansbury as Lovett, so I'm a bit of a skeptic about the whole thing.

If David Lean was alive, he should make Les Miserables.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You