News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MTQ

MTQ Profile Photo
Member Name: MTQ
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Funny ad-libs
 Mar 12 2007, 11:06:48 PM
About 5-6 years ago, Audra McDonald was scheduled to do a benefit concert at the Prince Theater in Philadelphia. McDonald took ill and the benefit was postponed.

At the concert, after she sang the first couple of songs, the latecomers were seated and, of course, there was a bunch of them sitting in the front few rows right in the middle. As they took their seats, Audra looked at them and said coolly "Glad you could make it". One of the latecomers immediately answered back "Glad YOU c

re: Barbra at MSG last night
 Oct 11 2006, 01:59:54 PM
Rosie was sitting in the center orchestra (2nd or 3rd row, I believe). I don't know where Barbara was sitting. The heckler who Barbra told to shut up was sitting upstairs, in back of Barbra, to her right (literally as well as figuratively!)
re: Favorite show-stopper?
 Jul 16 2006, 08:34:08 PM
Tick Tock, as danced by Donna McKechnie on opening night of Company - the single greatest show stopping moment of my Broadway-going life.

The 2nd show stopping moment that is still with me, although not a 'song', is Paul's monologue in A Chorus Line.

re: the show that got you hooked
 Mar 7 2006, 08:52:01 PM
Listening to the My Fair Lady OCR when I was 7.

Watching Peter Pan (Mary Martin) on TV (don't remember my age).

The film of West Side Story when I was a young teenager.

First live show on Broadway: Cabaret (original production) when I was 18. I took "Wilkommen" as a personal welcoming to Broadway. I sat in the last row of the Imperial Theater; the ticket cost $2 (thank you, Hal Prince) and I saw Cabaret six (6) times before going to see any other show.

re: Favorite orchestral harmonies in shows
 Feb 19 2006, 09:11:37 PM
In "This Nearly Was Mine" (South Pacific) when the orchestra plays the melody of "Some Enchanted Evening".

Similarly, in "Being Alive" (Company) when the orchestra plays the melody of "Someone is Waiting".

Both of these moments really get me.

re: Moments in shows that make you cry
 Feb 10 2006, 10:26:37 AM
WSS - after the fury of A Boy Like That, when Maria sings "I have a love and it's all that I need, right or wrong and he needs me too". I've never made it through "When love comes so strong, there is no right or wrong; your love is your love" without a handkerchief
re: Showstoppers - Witnessed Accounts of Show-Stopping Moments
 Dec 31 2005, 12:33:18 AM
""Tick-tock" with Donna McKechnie in the original COMPANY. "

I saw the original Company on opening night and Donna McKechnie received (and deserved!) the longest ovation I've ever heard. As a matter of fact, later in the act, when she came back on stage for her last scene, we began applauding again as soon as she made her entrance. I've never seen anything else that comes close to this.

Pearl Bailey's closing performance in Hello Dolly.

And as many have mentioned,

re: Most Memorable Moment in Theatre, 2005
 Dec 29 2005, 11:14:52 PM
In Lily's Eyes, The Secret Garden Benefit.

Marin Mazzie in Babbette, On The Twentieth Century.

When I first heard the harp in Light in the Piazza.

January 30th - Brooke Shields' closing performance in Wonderful Town in the afternoon followed by John Tartaglia's final NY performance in Avenue Q at night.

Gary Beach's closing performance in Cage Aux Folles, on Gay Pride Sunday, walking off stage after "I Am What I Am", and planting a big wet one on his partner i

re: What tracks do you skip over?
 Dec 29 2005, 10:54:41 PM
Hairspray - Hairsrpay and Cooties.

Wicked - Emerald City and Dancing Through Life. To tell the truth, I close my eyes and plug my ears for these in the theater as well.

What is your favourite sexually-charged line in a S
 Dec 5 2005, 11:29:35 PM
"Did Sondheim really intend on the line the whole "poppin pussies into pies etc" in PRIEST to have a sexual double meaning?"

And then there's the whole "and a ****'s good for six or seven at the most"!

But my favorite is "The history of the world, my sweet, is who get's eaten and who gets to eat."

re: SWEENEY TODD First Preview
 Oct 4 2005, 09:45:28 AM
"One of the things that actually is a benefit of the smaller orchestration . . . you can really hear all the words."

Agreed 100%. I was also stuck by (and amazed by) the ryhthmic and harmonic clarity as well.

re: Have you heard Adam Guettel singing his Piazza songs (3 demos)? WOW!
 Jul 4 2005, 11:30:23 PM
I read that no only is he the one doing the singing in these excerpts, but he's also the one playing piano and guitar as well!

And, of course, that's Adam singing Bucchino's "Unexpressed" on the Grateful CD.

Talented, indeed!

re: 'La Cage Aux Folles' FINALE REVIEW!
 Jun 27 2005, 10:23:44 PM
Bravo on a wonderful review. I was there too and I was literally shaking (and wiping away more than a couple of tears) when Gary Beach finished "I Am Who I Am". The defiant walk off the stage and the added kiss with his partner made me scream with pride.

There was something even more extraordinary than usual hearing Gary Beach sing that song this past Sunday.

re: Chatterbox?
 Feb 28 2005, 08:38:29 PM
Not on mine either. I'll guess we'll have to try again Wednesday night at 10pm.
re: Which current or previous B-way star would you marry?
 Feb 28 2005, 06:40:24 PM
Brent Barrett for romance

Alan Cumming for fun - lots of fun! Hot fun!

re: what's the ultimate show-stopping song for a tenor?
 Feb 27 2005, 10:58:10 PM
Beautiful Girls, from Follies

She Wasn't You, from On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

More subtle, but if you have a beautiful legato line, Younger Than Springtime from South Pacific

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You