News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Raspberry

Raspberry Profile Photo
Member Name: Raspberry
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
 Jun 19 2022, 10:20:13 PM

Wick3 said: "

Who do you think will replace R. Lowe? Every single time I've watched CHICAGO on Broadway, R Lowe performed as Mary Sunshine so I think they had the role for the past 10-12 years?"

I caught Pam's final Friday earlier this month, and the standby J London was on for Mary.  He sang it beautifully, was very funny, and his larger build also made for a funnier reveal, as opposed to R. Lowe, who's a much smaller guy.  Always fu

Clare Barron’s SHHHH at Atlantic
 Jan 30 2022, 11:03:59 PM

I caught it yesterday.  I really enjoyed this one, but I was similarly struck on how best to describe it to some friends today without spoiling. 

For all their trigger warnings about the more extreme content, I thought the most striking/impactful parts were the more straightforward scenes.  Clare Barron has such a strong voice and an incredible ear for dialogue.  She creates these wonderfully compelling conversations between characters that are always dancing betwee

SKELETON CREW Previews
 Jan 18 2022, 11:49:01 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "Is this really running 2.5 hours? MTC’s site is listing a running time of 110 minutes with one intermission."

Split the difference. I saw the matinee Saturday, we were on the street by 4:15.  We were surprised because the League’s site also lists the 110 runtime. 

COVID performance cancellation
 Jan 6 2022, 10:55:51 PM

Tonight's Dear Evan Hansen started with the full regular cast as listed in the Playbill, then halfway through the first act, Talia Simone Robinson came on as Zoe and finished the show, replacing Gabrielle Carrubba.  Her first scene on stage was the one where the character has a big solo and she absolutely killed it. 

No idea what the reason for the sudden switch was, so may not be relevant to this thread, but worth monitoring.  She and Jordan Fisher's faces defin

Company reviews
 Jan 5 2022, 11:21:40 PM

I’ve caught the last two Weds matinees and Patti was in for both. It’s hard to predict performer attendance these days, but it seems like it’s improved overall on Broadway in the week and a half since Xmas.  I think everyone has sort of adjusted their backstage and off-hours behavior in light of how contagious and prevalent the new variant is.  You can definitely tell people are acting differently in NY compared to two weeks before Xmas when it all started to blow

WONDERLAND to Close on Broadway; Plays Final Show May 15
 May 11 2011, 02:18:13 AM
Drowsy closed a flop, even though it had a great run there. This has been brought up in many other threads, but if a show didn't make back its initial investment, it's a flop, regardless of how good a run it had.

Bwayfan7000, you are incorrect. Drowsy recouped its initial investment in under 7 months and then ran for an additional 13 months in the Marquis.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104079-Officially-Its-a-Hit-Drowsy-Chaperone-Recoups-Investment

Spiderman Preview Thread!
 Nov 30 2010, 02:49:05 PM
Does anyone know what the initial cost for The Lion King was? Just curious...

edit: Ah, nevermind. From this random site:
November 1997 – "The Lion King" opens on Broadway at the Disney-designed New Amsterdam Theatre; audiences exit into a store full of Disney merchandise. The musical has been sold out since opening and long ago recouped its estimated $20 million to $25 million cost.
http://wwww.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051208/news_lz1x08lktime.html

re: How early? - Exit the King student rush.
 Jun 10 2009, 10:35:07 AM
I got there at 9:45 today and there were maybe 25 people in front of me already. I still got a ticket for the matinee, but they were telling people who wanted the evening to check back at 6 because the front row rush seats had already sold out.
re: Stunning audio disasters at the Tony's
 Jun 10 2009, 08:46:06 AM
"That's not a woman having an orgasm, that's Gavin Creel."

I wish this was said more often in life... might be a new potential slogan for the "Hair" publicity team to consider?

re: New podcast with Liza and Sutton
 Jun 10 2009, 08:35:52 AM
I do like it though.
re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
 Jun 9 2009, 11:30:22 PM
I guess when they did not get the Best Revival tony, the die was cast.

I think they knew they wouldn't win anything. But a better performance could have spurred a rush of advanced ticket sales for the summer, which was probably the hope. Apparently this didn't happen.

re: GUYS AND DOLLS Rush
 Apr 28 2009, 11:10:58 PM
Are the standing room tickets 26.50 also, or are they cheaper?
re: Liza's at the Palace canceled tonight
 Dec 10 2008, 08:44:42 PM
"That blows for the line of people waiting. I walked by around 4-ish and there were a handful of people sitting in the lobby waiting for rush tickets, I guess. So she did the matinee? Well, at least she only called out one show."

There is no matinee Wednesday. She already only does five shows weekly. At least she made it through a full cycle of five shows before she missed one, so I guess that's something.

And I was one of those people waiting when you came by. I thi

re: Young Frankenstein to Tour
 Sep 24 2008, 11:01:52 PM
Here's the actual article from Variety. It discusses several touring shows scaling back or booking shorter runs:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992806.html?categoryid=3253&cs=1&query=young+frankenstein+tour

re: South Pacific Tickets?
 Aug 18 2008, 10:47:04 PM
Plan that far ahead. On Friday I went to the box office and got tickets for November. He told me Saturdays and Sundays were sold out til January and Fridays were sold out til December, so I ended up getting tickets for a Wednesday evening. If you can go Tues/Wed, there must be decent seats left this year. Maybe try the box office in person like I did, if you've only been looking online so far.
re: Any SHREK news from last night?
 Aug 15 2008, 01:30:19 AM
Us on the East Coast have to wait 2 hours for it to start. Then 3 more hours for it to end. Will the reviews be out tonight or tomorrow?

If you're going to wait up for the reviews, you'll be awake for quite a while. This is just the first preview performance for the pre-Broadway tryout. The official Seattle opening isn't until September 10. :o)

re: Your Favorite Costumes in a Show
 Aug 9 2008, 05:51:45 PM

La Cage revival... costumes by William Ivey Long... or, as Ben Brantley wrote in his review, "who else?"

re: Does anyone know if Michelle DeJean is extending her run as Roxy in Chi
 Aug 9 2008, 03:17:53 PM
This is excellent news. No one does a better "Roxie" (the song) or "Roxie" monologue than Michelle DeJean.
re: LIZA - free concert in Brooklyn tonight at 7:30!
 Aug 8 2008, 05:18:37 PM
she definitely opened with "Teach Me Tonight." Here's video of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U8Mn1gf4TU (I didn't film that, I just found it on youtube)

And she definitely did "Ring Them Bells." That's why she had those glasses in that photo. It was even at the audience's request, sort of. The band played the into to "Ring Them Bells" and everyone applauded. Then Liza ran back to Billy and they exchanged words. Then Liza turned to the audience and asked into the microphone, "What do you wanna hear: 'Ring Them Bells' or [some other song title...I can't remember]?" Everyone screamed at her, and she was like, "alright, I guess we're gonna do Ring Them Bells." So they restarted the number.

Everyone clapped along to that song the whole time, which was difficult because she changed the tempo drastically and randomly with almost every phase. During the bell noises, everyone around me was shaking their keys.

re: LIZA - free concert in Brooklyn tonight at 7:30!
 Aug 8 2008, 03:54:54 PM
Here are some professional photos of the concert from WENN. I wish they'd gotten the red outfit.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You