News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Nydiva2

Nydiva2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Nydiva2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Carole Shelley in Gentleman's Guide
 Jan 6 2015, 07:01:15 PM
Carole will be back in a week or two. I caught her at the last performance before her scheduled absence and she told me. GREAT lady!
References to Movie Stars in Lyrics of Musicals
 Dec 7 2014, 10:12:26 AM
All from The Butler's Song from "So Long 174th Street" (a/k/a "Enter Laughing"). Sung by the brilliantly hilarious George S. Irving:

Dolores Del Rio
Greta Garbo
Fay Wray
Sonia Henie
Myrna Loy
Joan Crawford
Mae West
Irenne Dunn
Joan and Constance Bennett

and many, many more. Watch it yourself; it's on YouTube (search for The Butler's Song); it's hysterical!

favourite show
 Oct 28 2014, 10:35:29 PM
Pirates of Penzance
On the Twentieth Century

Going to Shows Alone?
 Oct 28 2014, 10:33:32 PM
It's rare that I have a theatre-going companion. Very few people I know are willing to spend that kind of money (even with discounts).

Then, too, I have a fairly extensive theatrical favorites list and occasionally stop by the stage door afterwards to say hi. I'm local and there are a good number of people with whom I'm already acquainted enough to chat. Some people feel uncomfortable doing this.

Finally, on my last trip to England, circumstances dictated I go alone. And

The Lights NEED To Be Dimmed For Joan Rivers
 Sep 8 2014, 10:27:25 PM
I've come to the sad conclusion that dimming of the lights is far more based on the deceased's celebrity than any connection to theatre.

I have no objections to ANYone being honored; but a theatre stalwart with well over 40 credits (in mainly featured roles) was ignored, while people with more "name recognition" and scant theatrical credits do get the respect.

Gentleman's Guide Cast Changes
 Aug 27 2014, 11:48:30 PM
Carole! Happy, happy, happy! Joy, joy, joy! (And broke, broke, broke!!)
Judy Kaye to Replace Victoria Clark in CINDERELLA!
 Aug 11 2014, 10:26:16 PM
Judy! Yessssss! Bout time she got her very talented butt back on the boards. Love her!
23 Minutes With Alfred Drake
 Jul 4 2014, 12:05:34 AM
There's also a pretty darn amazing DVD available of a show which aired on television in 1956: The Adventures of Marco Polo (with Doretta Morrow). In some ways, it's sort of a Kismet knockoff, but well worth having.
It's time to talk about how much we love 1776
 Jul 2 2014, 11:29:33 PM
My all time favorite musical. I saw the original production (by that time Daniels was replaced by John Cunningham) AND, most especially, the Roundabout revival - which I saw more times than I'll admit to and adored to no end.

Of course, I'll be at 54 Below tomorrow. Miss the chance to see the truly superb Michael McCormick as Adams (not to mention Daniel Marcus getting a crack at Franklin)? "Never, never!!"

A lingering regret is that I never got to see the gentleman pictured

Favorite show mishap
 Jun 23 2014, 05:18:50 PM
I've seen plenty of mishaps in my time, but my favorite was in one scene from On The Twentieth Century. At one point Oscar (John Cullum) did a quasi-ballet lift of Mrs. Primrose (Imogene Coca). Somehow, Imogene's hair got caught on John's jacket button. The strand wound so close to his chest, that he couldn't get his fingers in to free the hair; neither could Imogene reach far back enough to get herself clear. They did most of the scene with her practically dangling from his chest!

Bullets Over Broadway Rush Stories?
 May 19 2014, 10:23:58 PM
It IS general rush and it IS cash only. I only got a single, but I'm fairly sure two would be the limit.
Bullets Over Broadway Rush Stories?
 May 18 2014, 08:03:46 PM
I was there yesterday at 12:30 (Saturday) and got a rush seat on the far side orchestra (partial view). Still not bad at all. Enjoyed the show very much.
The Little Prince & The Aviator
 Apr 25 2014, 12:22:06 AM
I was there and it was every bit as awful as everyone indicated. The costumes, set, etc. - garish and amateurish. The book - ugh! The staging awkward, and the actors struggling.

Two things I remember very clearly - the musicians in the pit rolling their eyes at what was transpiring on stage. And - Michael York coming out afterwards and APOLOGIZING to those waiting for autographs for "the whole mess". I have held him in high esteem ever since!

Hugh Jackman to host 2014 Tony Awards!
 Feb 11 2014, 10:36:09 PM
The more Hugh the better! I'm not saying he can do no wrong, but I think he'd have to try pretty hard to do so! :)
Daniel Radcliffe returning to Broadway!
 Jan 16 2014, 11:48:41 PM
Great news. I thought he was excellent in Equus and did a fine job in How To Succeed. I saw it early in previews and he was somewhat a "deer in the headlights", but he worked his little @ss off and I'm sure he relaxed into the role once he really committed all that dancing and movement to muscle memory.

He seems like a fine young man with a good work ethic. I'll definitely see this.

Musing on BARNUM
 Jan 7 2014, 01:31:54 PM
I remember this show well. Some of the previews occurred during a transit strike. I had a lovely conversation with Cy Coleman after an early preview and he was kind enough to listen to my (very respectfully offered) suggestions. Weeks later, I ran into him and he thanked me again for my input! What a great gentleman.

LOVED the show and even still have a few balloons which were tossed into the audience (deflated and brittle).

Finest acting performances on Broadway?
 Dec 20 2013, 05:31:22 PM
A pretty obscure one, but indelible. Tom Aldredge in an short-run, off-Broadway play called "Incommunicado". At the time I saw it I had known Tom for at least 20 years; and I came out trembling to the bone by the most powerful performance I'd ever seen. I'll never forget that - or him.

That and Carole Shelley in "Elephant Man". Well, Carole Shelley in just about EVERYthing. Magnificent actress.

Harvey Evans Love Thread
 Dec 5 2013, 12:28:30 PM
Now I have TWO reasons to watch it again (I have the DVD). Ross Martin (a favorite of mine) AND Harvey!
Harvey Evans Love Thread
 Dec 1 2013, 11:37:15 PM
I found the picture I took of Harvey speaking to my friend.
Shows You Want to See Revived for the Very First Time
 Nov 26 2013, 10:47:48 PM
There was a Kismet "revisal" of sorts called Timbuktu, starring Eartha Kitt. Gilbert Price was the romantic lead (and had one of the most glorious voices I've ever heard).
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You