News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BwayLover5

Member Name: BwayLover5
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

AIN’T NO MO On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
 Dec 9 2022, 06:18:07 PM

Just received an email saying my 12/30 performance was canceled and the show is closing 12/18.  Had really wanted to see this.

"Unfortunately, Ain't No Mo' has announced it will close on Sunday, December 18, 2022. Your performance has been canceled.

Ain't No Mo'
12/30/2022 2:00:00 PM

We understand this is disappointing, but we hope you’ll take the opportunity to see this fantastic show on another date. Here are your options:&qu

Commercial Flop to Hit Revival
 Nov 7 2022, 12:35:28 PM

Did the original production of Chicago recoup?

Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
 Aug 23 2022, 04:57:15 PM

A revival of the Stephen Sondheim musical Sweeney Todd starring Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford could land on Broadway this Spring, with the team behind Hamilton – producer Jeffrey Seller and director Thomas Kail – attached, according to a published report.

The production – reported exclusively today by Philip Boroff’s Broadway Journal site – would be the latest in a string of Sondheim revivals staged since the Broadway icon’s death on Nov. 21, 2021. Revivals of Company and Into The Woods arrived on Broadway this season, and a new Off Broadway staging of Merrily We Roll Along starring Daniel Radcliffe, Jonathan Groff and Lindsay Mendez begins previews at New York Theatre Workshop on Nov. 21, with an official opening on Dec. 12.

Groban, who starred in the 2016 Broadway production of the musical Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812, would play the Sweeney Todd title character, with Ashford (Broadway’s 2017 revival of Sunday in the Park with George, the FX drama Impeachment: American Crime Story), as Mrs. Lovett.

According to Broadway Journal, an operating agreement distributed to investors indicates that producer Seller is attempting to raise $14.5 million for the revival.

Deadline has reached out to a spokesperson for Seller’s Hamilton, as well as reps for Groban and Ashford.

Sweeney Todd – full title: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street – features music and lyrics by Sondheim and a book by Hugh Wheeler, based on an earlier play of the same name by Christopher Bond. The musical debuted on Broadway in 1979 in a production starring Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury. It has been revived several times on and Off Broadway.

Groban recorded one of the musical’s most beloved songs, “Not While I’m Around,” in a medley with Into The Woods‘ “Children Will Listen,” on his 2015 album Stages. He also performed the medley during the virtual concert Take Me to the World: A Sondheim 90th Birthday Celebration in 2020.

Set in Victorian London, Sweeney Todd tells the penny dreadful tale of a murderous, revenge-seeking barber and his pie-baking accomplice Mrs. Lovett, who uses her culinary skills to dispose of bothersome corpses.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/sweeney-todd-broadway-josh-groban-annaleigh-ashford-stephen-sondheim-1235098515/

Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
 Jul 28 2022, 07:59:19 PM

Is it rumored to be this fall / winter or after the new year?

MUSIC MAN Seems To Have Been Rescheduled For April 2021
 Jun 23 2020, 06:56:41 PM
Logged into Telecharge to check my tickets. They were also moved - from Dec 26 to July 24th.
What happened to Laura Benanti in Waitress?
 Dec 16 2018, 05:11:36 PM

The photo is from when Laura and Heidi did The Most Happy Fella for Encores! in 2014. 

Roman Banks to become first person of color to play Evan Hansen today!
 Dec 12 2018, 03:07:23 PM
greensgreens said: "Fosse76 said: "That said, the show hasn't been around for that long, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Unlike Phantom, whichpatted itself on the back after 25 years of racist casting of the title role when itcast Norm Lewis."

Maybe this was the case on B'way, but Robert Guillame originated(if my memory isn't mistaken) the role of the Phantom in the original Los Angeles cast(he was later replaced by Michael Crawford). I don't remember them doing anything special when Norm came on, other than acknowledge his major talent finally joining the cast! And, I don't recall there being a big discussion about race when Guillame was cast either. If you have sources for this "patting themselves on the back," I would love to read them and be corrected!
"

Michael Crawford originated Phantom in Los Angeles. He was replaced by Robert Guillaume. He was followed by the final LA Phantom, Davis Gaines.

Nice article about him taking over the role:
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-29/entertainment/ca-535_1_robert-guillaume

Wicked
 Aug 31 2018, 02:04:44 PM
The release date for Wicked is moving according to Deadline. It doesn't say to when though.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/taylor-swift-cats-movie-casting-james-corden-ian-mckellen-1202391041/

Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
 Mar 8 2018, 08:05:06 PM
It is like Beautiful as in that it is a bio musical but a little more non-linear with the device of the three Donnas. The musical numbers are very entertaining and engaging and a joy... but, the book, as stated before, is awful.
re: Your Top 5 LEAST Favorite Musicals
 Nov 24 2017, 12:44:07 AM

Civil War

Good Vibrations

Anastasia

Lestat

Jekyll and Hyde

Tovah Feldshuh Leaving PIPPIN?
 Nov 26 2013, 05:03:19 PM
Annie Potts will be taking over from about Jan to July.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You