News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jim in Merced CA

Jim in Merced CA Profile Photo
Member Name: Jim in Merced CA
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

what is the most overrated musical of all time
 Feb 24 2013, 07:34:00 PM
For me, it's "the sound of music'

It was made into one of the best movie musicals of all time - but it just hasn't held up well.

What's the next 80's film to come to Broadway NOW??
 Sep 4 2012, 08:05:30 PM
BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL

Featuring the big showstopper 'Butt Head'

Sunday in the Park...George - ACT II
 Sep 4 2012, 08:01:02 PM
I saw 'Sunday in the Park with George' on Broadway in 1985. It was toward the end of the Broadway run -- Maryann Plunkett was Dot and Robert Westerberg was George -- I think. Here I am trying to show off my mad memory skills. : )

I'm in the 'Act One is fantastic / Act Two is not as fantastic' category.

re: Who has gotten the LEGALLY BLONDE CD yet?
 Jul 2 2007, 03:40:20 PM
Hey DrTheater, I checked the website, and it appears they may have gotten rid of those old music files.

It's interesting to hear the old ones -- as with 'Omigod, You Guys' and 'So Much Better' -- there were some significant changes to those songs from the time I saw it in San Francisco to the recording of the CD.

The changes to me, really improved the songs.

re: Legally Blonde Act 1 Finale Video
 Apr 30 2007, 12:53:39 PM
Lots of changes to that song between when I saw it in San Francisco and that clip on People.com -- lots of small lyric changes, but quite a lot cut from the overall time of the song.

I like it better now -- a bit more focused.

My Legally Blonde Review
 Apr 26 2007, 06:05:39 PM
Good review, goldenboy. I agree with your sentiments about not caring for Elle Woods. This same flaw is inherent in the movie, but some reason, it's more glaring in the show. To use a writer's term, there's no 'character arc' for Elle. She's the pretty girl who's really smart in the beginning. And at the end, she's the pretty girl who's really smart. What's the journey for her?
LB Appreciation!
 Apr 23 2007, 12:51:55 PM
Cool. Thanks, carymetorent2
LB Appreciation!
 Apr 23 2007, 10:37:53 AM
Saw the show in San Francisco back in February -- glad to hear that the ending of 'Ireland' was fixed. Thought it was a real odd choice to not have Orfeh hit that last note.

Does anyone know what other changes have been made since San Francisco and in previews in NYC? It would be interesting to hear.

I lean more toward what ruprecht has been saying about Legally Blonde: The Musical -- it's pretty good, but it's not great.

re: Appropriate age for Curtains, LoveMusik, Legally Blonde & Pirate Queen?
 Apr 23 2007, 12:31:56 AM
Does no one else have an opinion about this? Other than just snippy and snarky little comments, like whatever2?

It's just a simple question -- since 'Legally Blonde: The Musical' is being so heavily marketed to the tween set [and what other demographic would be dying to see this show?] -- why not just go 'all the way' and sanitize it completely?

Then, when people ask 'Is Legally Blonde: The Musical' okay for tweens? The answer can simply be 'yes' -- without having to qualif

Apr 22 2007, 04:19:26 PM
Michael Bennet wrote: [Jim, if you think your twelve year old daughter heard anything in Legally Blonde she and her other tweeners don't already talk about at school you are going to be in for a real shocking teen years...But yeah - I'd say these are all "PG rated."]

I'm no prude by any means. And I'm not suggesting that my 12-year old has virginal ears or can't handle the subject matter. 'Gay or European' -- no big deal for me -- that song is actually clever and very, very funny. I

Apr 20 2007, 12:45:25 PM
My wife and 12-year old daughter and I attended 'Legally Blonde: The Musical' in San Francisco, and one of my gripes about the show is that it has a few places where it gets into what I would describe as 'mature' subject matter.

Because the rest of the show is so fun and light and bubbly and....well, pink, it kind of jumped out at me. Plus, the audience was filled with little tween girls, and I thought, wow, if they took out the racy parts, It'd be a real family-friendly musical.

re: Anyone here ever seen any of Richard Thomas's past performances?
 Apr 19 2007, 08:22:41 PM
Saw Richard Thomas in a revival of 'Merton of the Movies' at the Ahmanson Theater in Los Angeles -- probably around 1980 or so. I was in High School, I remember that.

We all knew him as John Boy Walton, but we really enjoyed his performance and the show was a lot of fun.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You