News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for mnotavery

Member Name: mnotavery
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Mrs. Doubtfire - Seattle Pre-Broadway Thoughts
 Dec 10 2019, 09:50:43 PM
The marketing is basically, parents, this holiday season bring your kids for this wonderfully heartwarming and funny musical about family.

The healthy takeaway message from the show is that even after families are split up, everyone can still work together to find ways to love each other and get along. A divorce and even new partners doesn't mean kids will lose their loving relationships with their parents, and though things may be different, kids have nothing to fear.

The sh

Dec 10 2019, 03:19:44 AM

BobbysApartment said: 
Mr. McClure is working his ass off in this show.... However, Daniel comes across as a jerk until Mrs. Doubtfire appears. This is definitely a result of the writing and direction, but I'm guessing some acting choices too... As written here, Daniel seems more childish than child-like.

Yes, hit the nail on the head. I think they could really have something with some book rewrites before March, but I don't expect they'l

Dec 9 2019, 02:54:19 PM

inception said: 
The story does get somewhat updated to more modern thinking: at the end the message seems to be moms are bad because they make you do homework & won't let you eat sweets so it is better to have 2 gay dads.

LOLOL, I stand corrected and can't argue with that. 

I agree with you too that it probably will do well on tour / regionally because short runs will grab all the audience members who like the brand and move on to the next lo

Dec 9 2019, 04:35:08 AM
I saw it in Seattle the night after it opened, and my opinions didn't seem to be in line with most of the theater, which seemed to be families and nostalgic middle aged women who loved it. Every seat seemed filled, and people talked about how funny it was in the bathroom line. I wanted to like it, because who doesn't like Mrs. Doubtfire... but I just didn't.

I see this performing in NYC as a standard middling movie-turned-musical-for-no-particularly-good-reason with strong brand recogn

re: Is Kudisch back in 'Glorious Ones'?
 Dec 28 2007, 12:18:17 AM
He's back. Donna Murphy was there last night too!
re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN TICKET
 Dec 12 2007, 10:15:58 AM
If you have more advance notice and that ever happens again, stubhub.com is a good place to try to sell tickets. I couldn't go when I had tickets in November, and I was happy because I was able to sell them.
re: Imperial Theater and Seating for Osage
 Dec 10 2007, 10:56:26 PM
I had TDF tickets the other night that were in the rear mezz, but dead center, which was nice. Because the house set is so tall, I'd say to anyone up there if you have binoculars bring them, but it was totally fine, and must be better than rear orchestra for the top level scenes.

And the acoustics were so good, my friend and I managed to hear a toilet flushing that sounded like it was behind the set during the last few minutes of the show, when things get rather quiet and tense. I actua

re: 'Frost/Nixon' Movie Advanced Screenings
 Dec 10 2007, 05:12:40 PM
If anyone's in the Union Square area in Manhattan on Wednesday afternoon, I may have an extra free ticket to one of the Frost/Nixon screenings. I posted here because a couple people seemed *really* excited about it earlier in the thread. The screening company has a couple of conditions. You have to be between 17 and 59, and you have to have seen two of these movies: Sideways, United 93, Michael Clayton, Lost in Translation, The Good Shepherd, The Constant Gardener, The Queen, Good Night and Good
re: Spring Awakening
 Aug 19 2007, 01:23:24 PM
Spring Awakening has holes and things that are less than great about it, but it also has a lot of aspects that are very worth seeing, including the cast. There was a recent thread, though, about how there are some ideas and plots for musicals that sound AWFUL on paper yet are good shows. I know my mom has no desire to see SA after hearing a summary, but that other thread makes some good points: https://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=936675#3231251. You usually can't form an opinion of a show from a summary or name (as mocked by Urinetown, the musical with the worst name in recent memory). In fact, I didn't even think SA is all that shocking (for the most part)... I definitely appreciate it's based on being written in the 1890s, when it WAS so shocking, but after enduring so many after school specials, I saw most of the plot points coming from a mile away.

Ha ha, and I'm sure Gil is proud about his abridged having more authority than the actual show, but he does address that in his FAQ:

"I'd like to think that this website serves as a sort of a replacement for people not getting to see a show...
But eventually I learned that I just don't buy that. That's like watching Austin Powers 1 and not having ever heard of James Bond."

Another good SA parody to check out though is the current medley skit in Forbidden Broadway-- spot on!

re: Broadway Abridged: 110 In The Shade
 May 25 2007, 10:40:23 AM
*lurks*

Thanks guys! So happy you're enjoying it. I'm just happy I managed to convince Gil 110 was worth a new abridged. But I guess after a few hiptix drinks, Gil can be convinced of pretty much anything...

~ Megan

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You