News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DanJones451

DanJones451 Profile Photo
Member Name: DanJones451
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Fun Home Rush/ Cancellation
 Jan 8 2014, 03:28:58 PM
If anyone who has seen the show is interested, I've written a piece about how Fun Home has theatricalized conventions from graphic storytelling (and also just about the show in general). Love this musical, and I am bummed that there won't be any more rush seats!

http://theatreblurred.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/the-memory-of-media-pop-culture-and-the-seasons-best-new-theatre-part-1-of-2/

An actor or actress repeating their same movie performance on the stage
 Jan 2 2014, 12:17:04 PM
Gloria Swanson famously wanted to do a happy-ending Sunset Boulevard musical and even performed a number from the commissioned score on television, if I remember correctly. Of course, it never panned out. (She am become Norma Desmond.)
As SPIDER-MAN swings off, a look back at superhero musicals.
 Dec 28 2013, 08:49:00 PM
Thanks for reading!
Favorite Final Moment of a Show?
 Dec 28 2013, 05:15:54 PM
Grey Gardens, Fun Home, Sweeney Todd
 Dec 28 2013, 04:20:28 PM
SidebySide, I had forgotten about the Merm on Batman.

And I would actually really love to see an earnest, heightened take on Batman. I think going back to the 1930s and going down a noir detective route could be really effective. You've got some very innate theatricality with the Joker, and there's a lot of room for Follies-esque "ghost" staging with young Bruce Wayne. At the same time, it would break my heart to see that character done dead wrong more than any other...

After E

Dec 27 2013, 06:10:21 PM
Whoops! Link fixed.
 Dec 27 2013, 05:46:30 PM
Hi, all. Longtime lurker here...going back to 2004 or so. I understand that it's usually frowned upon for someone to post a piece of their own, but I think that this might start a larger discussion. (Or, I hope it will!) I've just started a blog on the intersection of the legit stage with pop culture at large. Not just on adaptation, but eventually on mutual influence.

Anyway, my first piece is on the troubled history of superheroes onstage, and my thoughts--as an obsessive fan of both comics and musicals--on why these shows have failed. (In Spider-Man's case, beyond the obvious bile-spewing that we're used to hearing). I also delve into some aborted projects.

Any thoughts on these shows, or what might have been? Let me know if you see anything that I got anything glaringly wrong. I know some of you were there for the original Superman!

http://theatreblurred.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/superheromusicals/

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You