News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for crushgroove

crushgroove Profile Photo
Member Name: crushgroove
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

NEIL PATRICK HARRIS & JUDITH LIGHT CHAT HEDWIG & BWAY
 Feb 5 2014, 04:48:15 PM
Who is Neil Patick Barris?
Why didn't they get Sierra Boggess to replace Laura in Cinderella?
 Jan 2 2014, 05:11:24 PM
They got Carly Rae Jepson because they are trying to sell this show to 14 year old girls and their paying parents...not 40 year old theatre queens. THAT'S WHY...PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION

They are appealing to that age demo. And while we don't give a rats ass about that song. It's still played frequently on the radio...and a teen's memory isn't as short as we think.

Richard Kline (Three's Company) is playing Liberace and says the show is Broadway bound.
 Oct 21 2013, 11:31:41 AM
I love that URL "liberace-justin-bieber-chelsea-handler-transgender" It sounds like some kind of gay spell... like you say those words and poof! someone is gay...LOL

"Liberace! Justin Bieber! Chelsea Handler! Transgender!"

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY New Ending?
 Sep 11 2013, 11:58:27 AM
Happy endings are bull****
Hunter Parrish as Pippin?
 Sep 4 2013, 06:01:28 AM
I thought Hunter's performance in Godspell was beautiful. Not sure why people didn't like him. I think his version of Beautiful City is incredible. I think it's much more effective as a ballad than an uptempo song in previous incarnations. I think his voice is so natural and pure.
Into the Woods Movie Cast
 Aug 24 2013, 01:13:03 AM
Theatrefan4....read this

http://www.sondheim.com/discussions/uhm.html

"A major indication that our assumptions about characters are being challenged is the treatment of the princes. Very little is placed into a Sondheim show without careful deliberation, and one of the strongest and most interesting decisions made in the show is the casting of the same actor to play the Wolf and Cinderella's Prince. The juxtaposition of the Wolf and Cinderella's Prince in Into the Woods is one of the most crucial character decisions in the show, and a barometer of how much a particular director and production staff understand the work. Double-casting in Into the Woods is a conscious choice that is made to enhance the script and to create intentional links between characters in a show, and the Wolf and Cinderella's Prince are linked together in a number of different ways. Little Red Riding Hood thinks of herself as a tough adult, and she has always had a fascination with taking care of herself. This independence is manifested her insistence on going through the woods by herself and the absence in the show of a physical mother who directs her. That autonomy is mirrored in another one of the female characters, the Baker's Wife, who believes in her own ability to get through the woods unharmed. Her self-confidence is so profound that she tries to guide the Baker on his quest, because she feels that he will only be successful with her assistance. The Wolf and Cinderella's Prince provide opportunities for Little Red and the Baker's Wife to live out their fantasies, to disastrous ends. The methods of the Wolf and Cinderella's Prince are the keys in this equation because of their similarities. Both encounters (the Wolf/Little Red and Cinderella's Prince/Baker's Wife) are essentially seduction scenes, done from a very selfish perspective (the wolf does it to glean information about the grandmother and the little girl, and the prince does it to have another "moment" for himself). These scenes are also textually linked by the line "one would be so boring", which is spoken to both Little Red and the Baker's Wife.

By linking the Wolf and Cinderella's Prince in these ways, Lapine and Sondheim are playing off of the audience expectations for the wolf, as a predatory being, and then using those expectations to subvert the expectations of the prince. The prince from the first act is, for the most part, a fairly noble figure, and in the absence of a second act the splitting of parts may make some sense. However, starting from Act II Agony, we begin to realize that the Princes are not the noble, essentially good people that we had envisioned, but self-aggrandizing young men. This transformation becomes complete when Cinderella's Prince seduces the Baker's Wife, when the wolf aspect of the prince's character must come out, and all vestiges of nobility are lost. That does not make them bad people, but it brings us down to earth about our expectations about princes. The union of the prince/wolf reveals how they are two sides to the same coin, and that our desire to make them an object of our wishes is to place our trust in false ideals. The songs sung right after Little Red's and the Baker's Wife's realization of what happened, "I Know Things Now" and "Moments in the Woods" are both rife with uncertainty, and though morals are being stated, these morals are not clear for either one - "I should have heeded her advice, but he seemed so nice...Isn't it nice to know a lot, and a little bit not" or "Why not both instead, there's the answer if you're clever...Let the moment go, don't forget it for a moment, though". It is part of the breaking down of absolute rights and wrongs."

The double casting is intentional...not a way to save money. It's pretty common knowledge. Cinderella's prince is pretty predatory and heartless.

Aug 23 2013, 04:44:49 PM
How is the Giant's wife portrayed? Is she seen? or just heard? I haven't heard any mention of who should play her.
In-depth Update on Karen Olivo
 Jul 25 2013, 11:31:15 PM
I'm gonna miss her. She's so damn talented. I remember seeing the first preview of In The Heights and being astounded by here. I hope she comes back to acting someday when things are in place for her. Much love Karen...you're fantastic!
Dee Dee Magno
 Jul 12 2013, 02:14:27 AM
Actually, the Mickey Mouse Club group she was in, The Party...have reunited and are working on a 4th studio album. Only one of them that is not returning is Tiffani Hale.
Shaiman's article
 Jun 3 2013, 08:19:15 PM
I'm still a little confused why Jimmy had to go to jail in the first place. Didn't the girl live who he had shared drugs with? That whole tied-up storyline kinda lost me. Not that I cared too much. Actually I was hoping while Jimmy and Karen were kissing in the middle of the street that they both had gotten hit by a crosstown bus.
 May 19 2013, 08:16:45 AM
OMG Daniel Radcliffe as Jack would be AMAZING. Good call!
 May 16 2013, 07:53:25 PM
God I hope it's Hilty
A League of Their Own: The Musical
 May 2 2013, 05:17:08 AM
Great song list...it's only missing a song called "Go Piss on Your Hat!"
SMASH
 Apr 24 2013, 08:02:04 PM
Look guys…I wanted to love this show. I LOVED the pilot…but it never lived up to it. There were glimmers of hope–mostly Megan Hilty’s amazing performances (Let’s Be Bad, Never Met a Wolf Who Didn’t Love to Howl, Moving the Line). But let’s face facts. Not enough people are watching it.

For all the people who saying it wasn’t promoted enough… ARE YOU KIDDING??! I remember seeing ads for it back in October. TVLINE and other outlets were constantly announcing when guests starts and new act

Save SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Apr 24 2013, 08:00:41 PM
Look guys…I wanted to love this show. I LOVED the pilot…but it never lived up to it. There were glimmers of hope–mostly Megan Hilty’s amazing performances (Let’s Be Bad, Never Met a Wolf Who Didn’t Love to Howl, Moving the Line). But let’s face facts. Not enough people are watching it.

For all the people who saying it wasn’t promoted enough… ARE YOU KIDDING??! I remember seeing ads for it back in October. TVLINE and other outlets were constantly announcing when guests starts and new act

(?) Disney's Aida Movie w/ Beyonce and Christina Aguilera
 Apr 6 2013, 07:54:24 AM
I think Christina would have done wonders with "My Strongest Suit"
NBC's SMASH, Season 2 --
 Feb 24 2013, 05:05:36 PM
THAT collection is awesome, Louis Peitzman is awesome!
BARE preview
 Nov 14 2012, 01:54:38 AM
Cutting Claire from the show...that's it for me. "See Me" is by far one of the most heart wrenching songs of the piece and the fact that it gone along with a lot of the best numbers in the show. I am never seeing this production and I'm actually angry that they are even allowed to call this BARE. While I know the show needed cuts. They went at this poor show with a chainsaw.
CHICAGO closing (in London)
 Jul 13 2012, 06:35:44 PM
Casting choices should never compromise the integrity of the show...and Chicago's have...many times. Melanie Griffith, Christie Brinkley, etc.
The N2N team held a new musical presentation today with Idina Menzel
 Jun 26 2012, 09:12:31 PM
The last thing Idina did that was remotely near Broadway was See What I Want to See at The Public Theater I believe
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You