News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Markie27

Markie27 Profile Photo
Member Name: Markie27
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

ILLINOISE Reviews
 May 6 2024, 01:33:51 PM

I also would like to make a a case about Illinoise being a musical.  We have to remember that unlike ballet or dance performances that have recorded vocals or live vocals from the orchestra, Illinoise three vocalists are PART OF THE CAST.  if you would check you playbills they are even have character names - Barsine, Nacna and Arctiini (named after families of moths). Even in the cast appearances these lovely talented “moths” are included (they’re the first in

Personal Non-Eligable
 May 4 2024, 10:53:31 AM

Best scenic design of a play for me hands down goes to Wet Brain.

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
 Apr 30 2024, 12:29:54 PM

ColorTheHours048 said: "Most orchestrations does not equal best orchestrations, in the same way that most acting doesn’t equal best acting.

Stereophonic is an absolutely brilliant feat of orchestration. The two (technically, three) versions of “Bright” alone are a great example of that. They sound like entirely different songs played back to back, but they’re just re-orchestrated within the context of the show.
"

&n

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!
 Apr 30 2024, 11:23:43 AM

Huss417 said: "bwaylyric said: "Corey Cott's arms were robbed of Best Featured!"

Its because he shaved his chest.
"

Just want to give you a million thumbs up!  Thank you so much for the laugh!  I needed that after a dismal showing of my favorite musical.  

Apr 30 2024, 11:20:53 AM

chrishuyen said: "I know orchestrations (and sound design) is normally a subset of voters that have expertise in the field, but I'm guessing that's not the case for nominations?"

I totally agree with Orchestrations. As much as I love Stereophonic I was shocked it got nominated.  I mean… with so many lush orchestrations in musicals (even though admittedly their scores wasn’t that good) a play with a handsfulll of songs gets in?!?  S

Apr 30 2024, 11:12:30 AM

Even though Cabaret got a lot of nominations it’s very telling that they didn’t like the show as a whole - amidst all the nominations for its design and an embarrassment of riches in its performers, the couldn’t bring themselves to nominate the director.  It’s like their making a statement - with all the talent of your cast and crew you not to mention a magnum opus of a score, you still managed to eff it all up by giving us this mess of a show.

I reall

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!
 Apr 30 2024, 09:27:51 AM

I never liked snubbed or robbed.  I think it takes away the celebration of those who were nominated for their performances / artistic works.

Until now… F#€& that.  Ricky Ubeda and Ben Cook were totally robbed.  Justin Pecks’s direction was robbed. Jackie Sibblies Drury’s book was robbed. Garth Macaleavy’s Sound Design was robbed.  I hate this morning.

Apr 30 2024, 09:18:21 AM

So disappointed at Illinoise getting so few nominations…. I wonder if it hurt its chances for winning Best Musical.  I just can’t imagine all these mediocre shows win over such a forward moving work of art.  I’m soooo disappointed.  

2024 Tony Predictions
 Apr 28 2024, 11:14:46 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "Wait, we’re talking about Kara Young not being nominated? I don’t want to live in a world where that happens."

Oh no she is definitely going to be nominated.  I’m not even sure if Francis Benhamou would be nominated.  Kara Young and Sarah Pigeon are locks.

ILLINOISE Reviews
 Apr 28 2024, 11:12:09 AM

I guess it really is more of individual tastes.  I am a big fan of dance.  I’ve always checked on what’s happening at Joyce Theater and at the City Center and BAM.  I knew nothing about Illinoise when I first bough the tickets early on at the Armory.  I’m not even a big fan of Justin Peck.  So I was critical about the show from the start.  At first I thought it was good. Not great.  Don’t get me wrong the choreography was excelle

2024 Tony Predictions
 Apr 28 2024, 10:29:12 AM

jkcohen626 said: "Dreamboy3 said: "I was sure Kara Young was a shoe in but just saw Sterophonic and Sarah Pigeon is giving the standout performance of the season."

Kara Young being passed over for the third time would be insane... but she really wasn't my favorite performance in this category. I generally admit to not like Purlie as much as everyone else, but this category does feel especially strong. I'd definitely give it to Pigeon or Benhamou

What’s Your Favorite Song From the 23-24 Season
 Apr 28 2024, 09:58:42 AM

A lot of these choices are great but for me two songs stood out the most are unfortunately song revivals and jukebox songs.  But Jordan did say favorite song from the 23-24 Season so I guess we can consider them like “covers” in recorded music.  

The best song from a revival that stood out for me that I didn’t even notice or even like before was “Growing Up” from Merrily We Roll Along. I guess Jonathan Groff’s beautiful voi

2024 Tony Predictions
 Apr 28 2024, 01:59:36 AM

bwaylyric said: "Now that the Tony committee has made its rulings, what one nomination would make you so happy to hear on Tuesdaymorning?

Mine: Here Lies Love for Best Musical

"

Design nominations for Illinoise (surprise Scenic design nom in addition to Lighting and Sound)

Book of a Musical for Illinoise

Featured actor nominations for Ricky Ubeda and Ben Cook

Basically I’m hoping for 10 Nominations for

2024 Tony Predictions
 Apr 26 2024, 08:50:42 PM

FINAL TALLY OF ALL MUSICAL REVIEWS

RAVE

Merrily We Roll Along       11        0        0

Illinoise                                11        1        0

Tommy                      

Tony Awards Eligibility 2023-2024
 Apr 26 2024, 08:28:22 PM

Jeff Tupolski said: "quizking101 said: "chrishuyen said: "Also of note that Ricky Ubeda in Illinoise was not considered a lead, so he'd be competing in featured."

Crap.

*angrily scratches out predictions list*
"

I’m hoping this doesn’t screw over Ben Cook.
"

Geesh! I don’t know what to think anymore!  I hope that given the rave reviews that the show got they would lea

ILLINOISE Rev
 Apr 26 2024, 03:33:50 PM

I love this!  The Los Angeles Times review about the book is spot on!

“Admittedly, the book by playwright Jackie Sibblies Drury and director and choreographer Justin Peck is more of an evolving scenario than a discernible drama. But the dreamlike production is thematically anchored. A compromise is struck between the theater’s proclivity for story and dance’s penchant for abstraction, allowing audience members to connect narrative strands in their own

ILLINOISE Rev
 Apr 26 2024, 02:59:31 PM

I was kinda dreading this but I knew this will happen - the eventual mixed or negative (thankfully it’s mixed) review from a critic (this time from David Finkle of The New York Stage Review) criticizing the narrative and trying to make sense of the other stand alone stories and connect the plot of the show.  I’m glad from the same site no less Roma Torre provided her brilliant insight on her view about the book.  

I was hoping for an across the board p

2024 Tony Predictions
 Apr 26 2024, 04:55:58 AM

TotallyEffed said: "FLarnhill said: "MadsonMelo said: "I think Strong/Enemy got far better reviews than Stuhlbarg/Patriots, his show is a monster hit and he is on a high note because of ''Succession''.

If they really likePatriots, Keems seems a much better fit for a ''reward win''.
"

Exactly. Look at Bryan Cranston after Breaking Bad. Cranston got to win the Tony due to a combination of Breaking Bad stil

ILLINOISE Reviews
 Apr 26 2024, 04:38:46 AM

dramamama611 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Forgot to add, I spoke to cast afterwards and they are doing a cast recording."

Because I'm seemingly obsessed with this beauty of a show and an insomniac, I re-read this last page of posts and audibly gasped to see this. Since Jordan and I posted at the same time, I didn't notice it earlier.

I cannot wait. And yes, the original will suffice perfectly until release.

As long as I get

ILLINOISE Reviews
 Apr 25 2024, 11:23:49 PM

ColorTheHours048 said: "dramamama611 said: "I have an absolutely silly question: How is this pronounced? With or without the 'S'. I've been assuming WITH, because of the inclusion of the E. (Ill-i-noise) But since the title refers to the state, maybe not.

Anyone know??
"

It’s pronounced as written (ill-i-noise) and is an allusion to the cover art of Sufjan’s album Illinois (pronounced like the state), which says “C

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You