News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for brucebossa

brucebossa Profile Photo
Member Name: brucebossa
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/10/15  May 11 2015, 03:44:03 PM

I'm not a fan of HAND TO GOD but I'll point out that every week (except one) that they have been open, the grosses have risen.  I think there were a lot of doomsayers on here predicting closing but I think with the reviews and word of mouth (and I assume small budget) that they may actually be starting to make money.  And it's growing.

THE KING & I Reviews  Apr 16 2015, 04:38:29 PM

I might not say "bland" but I would say "cool" and not in a cool way.  Aloof? 

I think the "hottest" I have ever seen her was in THE PAJAMA GAME.  I also appreciated her in BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY but thought that the whole show didn't help her.  It should have been her and Stephen Pasquale for 90 minutes and dump the townspeople.

Danny Burstein-Led FIDDLER ON THE ROOF Revival Will Open on Broadway Next January!  Apr 8 2015, 05:19:39 PM

I think contractually, you have to use the Robbins choreography.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

H2$ in business TONY PERFORMANCE question  Apr 6 2015, 05:10:42 PM

My husband is a gay.   I love the gays too.

I don't think it's a kiss - but Daniel's head does look like it goes into the guys face.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15  Apr 6 2015, 04:51:01 PM

But it is non-profit - they have a schedule.  They have subscribers who want to see this new play.  Don't go by these grosses as it hasn't even been reviewed yet.  And they can't close it because they have a schedule and nothing else to put in the theater.  It's doing fine.  It will run it's course.  I'm seeing it in May.  I can't wait.  The budget is fixed for the show.  It's all funded.  WHY CLOSE IT ??? Subscribers have it in their schedule

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15  Apr 6 2015, 04:31:28 PM

Trying to get back on the subject of grosses and leave this Philly thread (although I understand why people need to answer such comments that Philly makes!) ... I'm rather surprised that the limp HONEYMOON didn't rise a BIT in the final week.  It actually went DOWN.  One would think, like most closing shows, some people would rush in to catch it. Although I guess they only announced it the week it closed.

Still, most shows rise when closing ... is this an indication that

Wolf Hall Previews  Apr 6 2015, 12:25:49 PM

Saw both parts this past Saturday - quite wonderful.  The direction, cast and lighting were all top notch.  I never got bored but I did think the final 45 minutes slows down just a bit.  I could have used a bit of "coup de theatre" to perk me up a little at that point.  Or maybe at that point the effects of a lovely dinner at 6pm caught up to me!

LOVED Anne Boleyn and her brother George, and of course, Ben is a mighty perfect Cromwell.

There were quit

Sad to see Honeymoon go...and this disturbing trend  Apr 3 2015, 11:52:34 AM

As I recall, FIDDLER did not get instant acclaim in it's pre-Broadway phase but it certainly did after opening night on Broadway.  It was an enormously acclaimed show the day after it opened.

Sad to see Honeymoon go...and this disturbing trend  Apr 3 2015, 10:55:16 AM

Interesting thought about the word HONEYMOON, but personally I think the word VEGAS helped to kill it.

And as others have stated, it was NOT an abrupt closing.  Everyone, pretty much, in the theater and business community saw this coming for months and months.  It was only this unique circumstance of people throwing money at it that made it seem abrupt... because one day they woke up and said, OY!  We can't do this anymore!  It's not working an

Sad to see Honeymoon go...and this disturbing trend  Apr 3 2015, 10:32:21 AM

I'm one of those "old" people, being over 65.  I saw HONEYMOON and didn't care for it.  I saw AMERICAN IDIOT 4 times and thought it was the Best Musical of that season, far better than the Tony winner MEMPHIS, which I also enjoyed.  So I don't think you can categorize OLD PEOPLE.  At least not me.

What old people bring to the theater is sometimes a perspective of theater history - one of my favorite shows ever was SHE LOVES ME which ran under a year, lost money and has never really made money in any major production.  Yet it is, by some, considered a classic.  Time will tell about HONEYMOON.  

I'm not a fan of LES MISERABLES, and yet it continues on.  I hold no grudge against it!  Just don't categorize these sections of people - old people, gay people, blue collar, white collar - they don't all have the same taste in a group.  Except everyone loves HAMILTON, as do I !!!

HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Apr 1 2015, 03:58:19 PM

I'm not going to the last show! I can't wait.  

As for the show regionally, it will get done.  It will bring a bit of money in for the authors.  I really think the VEGAS in the title turns off some people.  The film was not THAT popular (it's not in league with the fame of the title LEGALLY BLONDE), and obviously Tony Danza will not be in regional productions!!!

HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Apr 1 2015, 01:14:15 PM
Not having heard a note from ZHIVAGO, I guess I will keep the 4 I think will be nominated open for a change. But I think at this point it's those 4. But it's the Tonys so who knows! I always like to see a category open up for a 5th nomination. I just don't see why a decent show can lose a nomination because it's a good year (sort of!) for original musicals.
HONEYMOON IN VEGAS struggling on Broadway  Apr 1 2015, 12:09:15 PM
I agree on those 4 scores - I don't think HONEYMOON will make it.

I think THE LAST SHIP is out of the winner's circle - the Broadway community loved Sting but the nomination will be the award.

I haven't heard SOMETHING'S ROTTEN (seeing it soon) but from what I've heard from comments: cute, funny, jokey... not a winner.

I think it's between FUN HOME and THE VISIT, two serious scores by appreciated composer/lyricists. I give the edge to FUN HOME if after it opens it get

The Visit Previews  Mar 30 2015, 05:02:44 PM
Saw this at the Sunday matinee. I liked it and thought it was beautifully designed and directed. I think it benefits with NO intermission because I don't think it could hold interest such as it does being longer with a break. Chita was the Center of it all. I liked Roger Rees' acting - his singing was passable when he didn't have to hold notes or try to belt, and then it became a bit unbearable.

All in all, an interesting theater piece which will probably not find an audience. Glad

Redhead, anyone  Mar 27 2015, 05:11:13 PM
As for the TONY AWARDS! That year only 3 musicals were nominated: REDHEAD; FLOWER DRUM SONG and LA PLUME DE MA TANTE (a revue more or less). REDHEAD won by default. The score is fine ... but you can just tell the plot (murder mystery in a wax museum run by two maidenly aunts of Gwen Verdon's character) was pretty thin!

PS: EDITED UPDATE! I just saw that the year REDHEAD was on Broadway, the play version of THE VISIT opened the same year and was nominated for BEST PLAY.

Redhead, anyone  Mar 27 2015, 05:08:28 PM
Mameleh: don't judge IRMA LA DOUCE by that rotten ENCORES production with an Irma who had absolutely no charisma. And a boring Malcolm Gets who had no character. Just hearing one song by Clive Revill on the OBC ... you can HEAR the character dripping from him!
Is it time for another Music Man Revival?  Mar 27 2015, 11:57:36 AM
I loved the Stroman revival - even though I though Craig Bierko was doing Robert Preston, so saw nothing great in his performance. I went back to see Eric McCormack when he took over - I liked it even more with Eric. And of course Rebecca Luker was just enthralling!

So I really don't need a revival - can't think of what could be brought to it that Stroman didn't enlighten and can't think of anyone I would want to see in it.

Something Rotten Previews  Mar 24 2015, 04:40:33 PM
SPAMALOT came with a built-in fan base.
Any rush stories?  Mar 23 2015, 11:19:27 AM
Well, I don't know if "trim and cut" is an exact quote - I think, what with adding new material from previous versions, there may be a bit of working with certain words or phrases... I don't think "scenes" would be cut per se. I think the major gist he was trying to explain to me was that they still want to tighten flow. So I would think that would be the major work - and perhaps some dialogue would change with that.
Any rush stories?  Mar 23 2015, 11:09:34 AM
I saw the Saturday matinee this weekend. I really loved it - and I agree and disagree with the many comments already made! Seems like opinions are all over the board.

First off - I had terrific seats - there were 4 of us - E 201-204, which is actually the third row (in fact those 4 seats comprise a row by themselves in that section). Without trying to spoil the boat effect, we were able to see the people on the boat - but I would imagine that 1st row would not have a great view. Y

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You